ADVERTISEMENT

We all new Hopson hire was bad!

hbriteup

BGN Hall of Fame
Jan 9, 2005
But did we think it would have been and ended like this? Terrible!! Unless there is a major boost in money to spend on HC and a lot of money to spread around for the rest of staff there will be no coming back!!

Correct. We need Scotty to do well. We can afford him. And his style fits the kids attitudes of today.

Reactions: jocko5478
I think Scotty's attitude fits well with the kids. But his style absolutely will not cut it at this level. And for sure not with the players we currently have.

We need people with money that want wins and not have their hands in the cookie jar to donate to get someone in that will take 5-6 years to rebuild this. Then likely we start over again. But if we can't get a consistent base salary of 1 mill per year for a coach then we need to drop a division in football because we simply can't survive like this much longer.

I think Scotty's attitude fits well with the kids. But his style absolutely will not cut it at this level. And for sure not with the players we currently have.

We need people with money that want wins and not have their hands in the cookie jar to donate to get someone in that will take 5-6 years to rebuild this. Then likely we start over again. But if we can't get a consistent base salary of 1 mill per year for a coach then we need to drop a division in football because we simply can't survive like this much longer.
We don’t have that kind of cash to pay. Hoping to get someone for around 500k or so. Even after a couple of performance raises Hop wasn’t making that.

We don’t have that kind of cash to pay. Hoping to get someone for around 500k or so. Even after a couple of performance raises Hop wasn’t making that.
For the life of me, does anyone at Southern Miss understand the word investment?

Hop comes from a great Vicksburg family(I grew up there, I read that his father saved Charles Evers life in 1966). That being said, his coaching strategy was mediocre at best. I was concerned with the hire when ULM said no to him. I can see him as a coordinator somewhere or maybe a head coach at FCS.

As far as pay, this has always been an issue and has never been addressed. If the school had addressed it in the past, it wouldn't be an issue now. Yes I believe bare minimum six figures is a must. The right kind of thinking and leadership makes it possible.

Ghee Peg, not this again! For the last time. We have NO money. Our overall Alumni doesn't give a shit about USM football besides the fact they are cheap. As forever, the Administration is not interested or inept in raising money for football. If big donors want to bring in a million-dollar coach, they can also name who it will be.

Changing down to another conference or taking a lower status is not the answer. I doubt we will be successful there either. Look what happened when the old CUSA teams left and we were unable to dominate the scrubs. We are in a bad situation and only the big guys can save us if they are not tired of throwing life preservers.

I did not know a shit-house had a basement.

You are correct that the style of many of our players were not what Scotty was looking for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT