ADVERTISEMENT

State fans need class in smack talking...

rosie-odonnell-exit-to-eden.jpg

EEEK! My eyes!!!!

Okay .. copy. So it breaks down to Ellis Johnson, solely, took y'all from one of the 'best' CFB teams to the absolute worse .. in 11 months. He took you from on of the 'most' talented to one of the 'least' .. in 11 months. Guess you had to witness it in person but I still don't see .

After reviewing your depth chart, looks like Monken is going to rely on many of the TR and a couple of the JC signees. Looking forward to seeing 'how' it works out on Sat. Hope it's a clean game with zero injuries. Also hope the bulldogs are focused. Cheers.

Repeating...EJ had some help, but by all accounts, any coach that cannot win 1 game with 6 returning starters on D and the entire O Line back from a 12-2 team does not need to be a HC....he shouldn't be a Dirt Farmer, for that matter

Please read this again

"Only 10 of his 25 signees ever finished his time at USM. He ran off and injured so many players that the next year we played one game with only 54 scholarship players dressed out.

His strength and conditioning program was so bad the players couldn't hardly finish a game and there were so many injuries he should have been sued."

Any program that is besieged with a woeful S&C Program, dreadful leadership and inferior talent like So Miss was would be forced to rebuild over more than just one season. That's how bad it was. I realize that part of your continuing questions regarding the world's largest Nincompoop is for trolling purposes, so that does not bother me...Seriously, I want to make sure that you are indeed trolling. Otherwise, if you are not trolling and you are seriously trying to justify, rationalize, defend make sense of his time in Hattiesburg just because he was a great DC in the SE Conference for many years? May I suggest some therapy.....

Actually, I would really just like to discuss upcoming football season. I live in Virginia and this will be the first MSU - Southern Miss game that I will not get to see 'in-person' since 1967, when the Dogs under Charley Shira lost to y'all 14-21. State finished the year 1-9 with a lone win over Tx Tech, 7-3. The next year, we lost to y'all 14-47 to finish winless .. 0-8-2 .. and the highlights were a ties with Tx Tech and Ole Miss. Shira would go on to win a couple of games against y'all when I was at State from '70 - '73. And, Bob Tyler arrived in '74.

I took a 'special interest' in Southern Miss because of a certain girl .. spent a lot of time on the road between campuses .. but that story is not for a 'sports board.' Have always pulled for y'all except when we play each other.

Just trying to understand the Ellis Johnson debacle .. guess this is the wrong place to .. you know.. discuss football.

What are the mild surprises Munz is talking about? I didn't see any except Michael Smith moving to DE I agree with Coach you put the best four out there. I always liked Michael at DE better anyway.

Last edited:
Just trying to understand the Ellis Johnson debacle .. guess this is the wrong place to .. you know.. discuss football.

A real quick breakdown:

• Didn't meet with his brand new team for almost a month after his hire
  • Hired a coaching staff that inspired no confidence in his decisions to make said hires
  • One particular hire, local area high school head coach with a heavily recruited star player
  • The same coach became OC when original hired OC was demoted for a drinking problem
  • Another hire was a strength and conditioning (SC) coach that had been out of the field for ~20 years
  • SC is infamously known for this quote (no BS)..."stretching is for pu$$ies...you don't see a fox stretching before chasing a rabbit...", his philosophy (seriously, no BS)
  • Elloss12 could not maintain Fedora's recruitment effort (although Fedora's staff may have played a part in this...that's a story for another time)
  • Recruits began to bail ship one-by-one
  • The promoted OC all but ensured his star player would become the starting quarterback...the team felt this decision was forced upon them as there were 1, possibly 2 other quarterbacks the team believed in
  • OC playbook (rumored, but very plausible) consisted of 7...1,2,3,4,5,6...7 plays
  • Defensive staff was not totally inept, did have some flashes, but Elloss12 (or the name that should never to be mentioned again) had lost the locker room before a quarter-the-way into the season...and that was obvious by watching all three phases of that team.
  • The reason the last bullet is important, there were 4 players on that team that made their way onto a NFL roster (in some shape, form, or fashion)...and as mentioned, one of the more dominating OL USM has ever fielded, one of the most dynamic offensive weapons that has suited up for the 'Black and Gold', as well as one of the most freakish defensive players this GREAT STATE OF OURS has ever produced
That 2012 team was not an 0-fer team. But, by the 2nd game of that season against ECU, which had a crowd of over 34,000 (to prove an attendance point to MSU fan's sentiments about our fan support), it was obvious that 0-12 was real and a distinct possibility....by midway through the season, it was a vast majority of our fans' greatest wish.

Last edited:
A real quick breakdown:

• Hired a coaching staff that aspired no confidence in his decisions to make said hires
  • One particular hire, local area high school head coach with a heavily recruited star player
  • The same coach became OC when original hired OC was demoted for a drinking problem
  • Another hire was a strength and conditioning (SC) coach that had been out of the field for ~20 years
  • SC is infamously known for this quote (no BS)..."stretching is for pu$$ies...you don't see a fox stretching before chasing a rabbit...", his philosophy (seriously, no BS)
  • Elloss12 could not maintain Fedora's recruitment effort (although Fedora's staff may have played a part in this...that's a story for another time)
  • The promoted OC all but ensured his star player would become the starting quarterback...the team felt this decision was forced upon them as there were 1, possibly 2 other quarterbacks the team believed in
  • OC playbook (rumored, but very plausible) consisted of 7...1,2,3,4,5,6...7 plays
  • Defensive staff was not totally inept, did have some flashes, but Elloss12 (or the name that should never to be mentioned again) had lost the locker room before a quarter-the-way into the season...and that was obvious by watching all three phases of that team.
  • The reason the last bullet is important, there were 4 players on that team that made their way onto a NFL roster (in some shape, form, or fashion)...and as mentioned, one of the more dominating OL USM has ever fielded, one of the most dynamic offensive weapons that has suited up for the 'Black and Gold', as well as one of the most freakish defensive players this GREAT STATE OF OURS has ever produced
That 2012 team was not an 0-fer team. But, by the 2nd game of that season against ECU, which had a crowd of over 34,000 (to prove an attendance point to MSU fan's sentiments about our fan support), it was obvious that 0-12 was real and a distinct possibility....by midway through the season, it was a vast majority of our fans' greatest wish.
To add a couple of points to this:
EJ and buckley made a assumption that all of the previous staff wanted to go to unc which was not true. One in fact has returned. Some wanted to stay in Hattiesburg.
Another staff member who was ignored was Paul Jackson the S&C guy under fedora. A background check issue kept him from being hired at UNC. Maples as mentioned was out of the game for 20+years and hired. Jackson is now at om and is far more responsible for their recent success than Freeze. Maples had "worked" with Petal while buckley was the hc. That work actually consisted of him faxing a daily workout to buckley for the team. He was not hands on with petal.

Yes the play book was limited. We ran the spread in the spring game and totally scrapped it. My son was a trainer that year. Had played hs ball at oak grove and his statement to me was "Dad we are running the exact same offense that we used to prepare for when we played Petal."

ON top of all that, you have the mentioned highly recruited qb who became a locker room cancer. He was pushed into the starting role in much the same fashion as a recent supreme court ruling.
Thats how you go from 12 wins to 0-12.

Thanks for the info. Makes better sense now. And, see that wasn't too hard was it. Isn't a lot better talking football than childish smack?

Mississippi State had same problem. Mullen got held up a while before moving to Starkville .. only he was prepping Tebow for the National Championship game.

Hoping for an injury free game .. on both sides. What's the weather looking like for Sat nite in the 'Burg?'

Thanks for the info. Makes better sense now. And, see that wasn't too hard was it. Isn't a lot better talking football than childish smack?

Mississippi State had same problem. Mullen got held up a while before moving to Starkville .. only he was prepping Tebow for the National Championship game.

Hoping for an injury free game .. on both sides. What's the weather looking like for Sat nite in the 'Burg?'

40% afternoon Showers, last I checked...that's SOP for South Mississippi

Most of the major online weather services are currently showing around 10% chance of rain for the game.

Okay .. copy. So it breaks down to Ellis Johnson, solely, took y'all from one of the 'best' CFB teams to the absolute worse .. in 11 months. He took you from on of the 'most' talented to one of the 'least' .. in 11 months. Guess you had to witness it in person but I still don't see .

After reviewing your depth chart, looks like Monken is going to rely on many of the TR and a couple of the JC signees. Looking forward to seeing 'how' it works out on Sat. Hope it's a clean game with zero injuries. Also hope the bulldogs are focused. Cheers.

The Moo has 6 winless seasons in their history. SIX! And too many 3 wins or less seasons to count. Stop acting like a big shot. Your football program is the worst in the state of MS, and a national joke. You are nothing, have never been anything, and never will be anything. You may have an anomaly year like last year once every 20 years, but you'll crash and burn right back to you comfy little spot at the bottom. So remember than as you run your mouth. Your school WILL be a loser once again, and the more you run your mouth now, the more fun people like us will have looking down our noses and making fun of you.

To add a couple of points to this:
EJ and buckley made a assumption that all of the previous staff wanted to go to unc which was not true. One in fact has returned. Some wanted to stay in Hattiesburg.
Another staff member who was ignored was Paul Jackson the S&C guy under fedora. A background check issue kept him from being hired at UNC. Maples as mentioned was out of the game for 20+years and hired. Jackson is now at om and is far more responsible for their recent success than Freeze. Maples had "worked" with Petal while buckley was the hc. That work actually consisted of him faxing a daily workout to buckley for the team. He was not hands on with petal.

Yes the play book was limited. We ran the spread in the spring game and totally scrapped it. My son was a trainer that year. Had played hs ball at oak grove and his statement to me was "Dad we are running the exact same offense that we used to prepare for when we played Petal."

ON top of all that, you have the mentioned highly recruited qb who became a locker room cancer. He was pushed into the starting role in much the same fashion as a recent supreme court ruling.
Thats how you go from 12 wins to 0-12.
Another point on E Johnson. Some of the players said that after Johnson's first speech before the first game that they knew without a doubt that they had no chance of winning before they walked out on the field. Can you imagine a coach telling his team they are going to lose pregame. Johnson did. Yes, it was Nebraska. But we have beaten Nebraska before and were 12-2 the year before too.

A real quick breakdown:

• Hired a coaching staff that inspired no confidence in his decisions to make said hires

2012 season cost Lampley a legitimate shot at the NFL

Reactions: dn12005
The Moo has 6 winless seasons in their history. SIX! And too many 3 wins or less seasons to count. Stop acting like a big shot. Your football program is the worst in the state of MS, and a national joke. You are nothing, have never been anything, and never will be anything. You may have an anomaly year like last year once every 20 years, but you'll crash and burn right back to you comfy little spot at the bottom. So remember than as you run your mouth. Your school WILL be a loser once again, and the more you run your mouth now, the more fun people like us will have looking down our noses and making fun of you.

As I have already posted here and readily admitted .. State has a 'historically' horrid record. I witnessed the entire 1968 season which was the last true winless season .. 48 years ago. I was a sophomore in HS, Shira was the coach .. we lost to y'all 14-47 and a 17-17 tie with Ole Miss was the highlight of the season. There is no going back for a 're-do.'

But, if you can't see the massive positive changes at MSU since Dan Mullen arrived, then you have been totally blinded by jealousy. The last time I was at the MSU-USM play in the 'burg, MM Roberts had 33K seats and DWS had 35K .. now, MM Roberts has 36,000 and DWS has 61,337 with a $75M addition that bowled in the south end. Plans have been completed to bowl in the north end, add premium boxes and renovate the press box. A $40M renovation to Dudy Noble should break ground right after the season ..will make it the best venue in college baseball. (). Just three years ago .. we played for the baseball NC. With the hiring of Ben Howland, State fans are excited about the upcoming basketball season. The WBB team has top 10 potential.

Since Dan Mullen arrived in '09, State has finished higher in the SEC than Ole Miss every year. We have been to five bowl games in a row, including last years NYDB. Last year, we beat three top 10 teams in a row .. was the #1 team in FBS for five weeks .. and our QB, Dak Prescott finished #8 in the Heisman voting. Also .. Mississippi State's game with Ga Tech contributed $27.5M to the SEC that made the total contribution to the SEC from bowl games alone .. $87.5M. (http://businessofcollegesports.com/2014/12/08/college-football-playoff-conference-payouts/)

Adding in the revenue from the new SEC Network and State's share was $31.2M .. that's before ticket sales (5 games had > 100% attendance), and concessions. Add in the $$ from the just re-negotiated Adidas deal and exploding Bulldog Club revenue .. and well, you get the picture.

Mississippi State 'used to be' a joke .. but not any more. We WILL have some down years .. we play in the toughest division .. in the toughest conference in FBS. We are picked to finish last in the SEC West .. but we were picked to finish last in 2014 too! Most State fans will be disappointed if we don't finish in the top 25 with a good bowl.

Oh .. and I came over here to discuss the upcoming game. I see where some State fans have not been good visitors and I apologize for them. I dated a USM co-ed for a couple of years while I was at State and have fond memories of visiting her and the campus. But, with hosts like Legendary Eagle and WastinawaynNitChampsburg, y'all are making it hard to respect your fan base.

Last edited:
The MSU fans encountered Saturday were great. Didn't force the cowbell issue. It was what college football should be. Not saying we have to play every year but I would love to Play MSU every few years. Its crazy not to. That was a great pre and game atmosphere. And all this talk about not playing us because its helps build our program and hurts yours which is quoted by columnists a great deal is really baseless. We had some of our best years during the 20+ years we didn't play and it wasn't until you'll got good coaches and That $$$$$$$ from SEC that your program improved. I mean do you really think not playing USM for 20 Years made your program and Ole Miss improve or was it the good coaches. I mean really. Not playing USM IS what had you'll number one last year? That makes no sense KellenHamburger?

As I have already posted here and readily admitted .. State has a 'historically' horrid record. I witnessed the entire 1968 season which was the last true winless season .. 48 years ago. I was a sophomore in HS, Shira was the coach .. we lost to y'all 14-47 and a 17-17 tie with Ole Miss was the highlight of the season. There is no going back for a 're-do.'

But, if you can't see the massive positive changes at MSU since Dan Mullen arrived, then you have been totally blinded by jealousy. The last time I was at the MSU-USM play in the 'burg, MM Roberts had 33K seats and DWS had 35K .. now, MM Roberts has 36,000 and DWS has 61,337 with a $75M addition that bowled in the south end. Plans have been completed to bowl in the north end, add premium boxes and renovate the press box. A $40M renovation to Dudy Noble should break ground right after the season ..will make it the best venue in college baseball. ( ). Just three years ago .. we played for the baseball NC. With the hiring of Ben Howland, State fans are excited about the upcoming basketball season. The WBB team has top 10 potential.

Since Dan Mullen arrived in '09, State has finished higher in the SEC than Ole Miss every year. We have been to five bowl games in a row, including last years NYDB. Last year, we beat three top 10 teams in a row .. was the #1 team in FBS for five weeks .. and our QB, Dak Prescott finished #8 in the Heisman voting. Also .. Mississippi State's game with Ga Tech contributed $27.5M to the SEC that made the total contribution to the SEC from bowl games alone .. $87.5M. (http://businessofcollegesports.com/2014/12/08/college-football-playoff-conference-payouts/)

Adding in the revenue from the new SEC Network and State's share was $31.2M .. that's before ticket sales (5 games had > 100% attendance), and concessions. Add in the $$ from the just re-negotiated Adidas deal and exploding Bulldog Club revenue .. and well, you get the picture.

Mississippi State 'used to be' a joke .. but not any more. We WILL have some down years .. we play in the toughest division .. in the toughest conference in FBS. We are picked to finish last in the SEC West .. but we were picked to finish last in 2014 too! Most State fans will be disappointed if we don't finish in the top 25 with a good bowl.

Oh .. and I came over here to discuss the upcoming game. I see where some State fans have not been good visitors and I apologize for them. I dated a USM co-ed for a couple of years while I was at State and have fond memories of visiting her and the campus. But, with hosts like Legendary Eagle and WastinawaynNitChampsburg, y'all are making it hard to respect your fan base.

johnny_cash_flipping_the_bird.jpg

But, if you can't see the massive positive changes at MSU since Dan Mullen arrived, then you have been totally blinded by jealousy. The last time I was at the MSU-USM play in the 'burg, MM Roberts had 33K seats and DWS had 35K .. now, MM Roberts has 36,000 and DWS has 61,337 with a $75M addition that bowled in the south end. Plans have been completed to bowl in the north end, add premium boxes and renovate the press box. A $40M renovation to Dudy Noble should break ground right after the season ..will make it the best venue in college baseball. ( ). Just three years ago .. we played for the baseball NC. With the hiring of Ben Howland, State fans are excited about the upcoming basketball season. The WBB team has top 10 potential.

you are a freaking turd. and prob still hung up on a girl you had a few dates with, 45 yeas ago.

think about last years msu/usm game. now think about this years. swing a couple plays one way or the other, and msu goes home crying. now, imagine if they played next year. your new big stadium and BS ramblings wouldn't be able to stop the a$$-kicking msu would receive. since you've attended many msu losses from USM, im sure it wouldn't surprise you. hard to understand with all of msu's resources in comparison to USM's, why they get owned by golden eagles over the last 50 years.

Now biscuit boy. That wasn't too hard was it?

The MSU fans encountered Saturday were great. Didn't force the cowbell issue. It was what college football should be. Not saying we have to play every year but I would love to Play MSU every few years. Its crazy not to. That was a great pre and game atmosphere. And all this talk about not playing us because its helps build our program and hurts yours which is quoted by columnists a great deal is really baseless. We had some of our best years during the 20+ years we didn't play and it wasn't until you'll got good coaches and That $$$$$$$ from SEC that your program improved. I mean do you really think not playing USM for 20 Years made your program and Ole Miss improve or was it the good coaches. I mean really. Not playing USM IS what had you'll number one last year? That makes no sense KellenHamburger?

It doesn't hurt (or not hurt) to play (or not play) Southern Miss. However, there is no doubt that this game put a shot of adrenaline into your program. Even though yall didn't win this game, you played well, hung in there, sold out your stadium, and really showed that you guys are a lot better this year. This is EXACTLY what your program needed and I'm glad that State was cool enough to help you do that. It seemed like it was back to the old days when Southern was a proud program and you guys are on your way to being that proud program once again. I think you go 7-5 and make a bowl game... I really do. Most of the State fans that I have talked to were pleasantly surprised with the atmosphere and addition to your new stadium. Sure, there are things that could be improved, but overall I had a freaking blast at this game.

Let me say this, it still doesn't benefit us to play in Hattiesburg, and a loss would hurt, but I hope we can do this again. Even if it's a 2-1 or something like that. It's great for the Hattiesburg economy and overall the State of Mississippi. And it's a lot of fun hanging out with your fans. (Most of them). I don't get why some people on this board have all this hate "for anything SEC". You should be thanking us for doing this game because we could have just played a home game against some team that would be boring to watch. (like all other SEC teams do).

I do think that you need to open more gates to the game next time. Good luck this year

Wow! You are one bitter, bitter person with an inferiority complex the size of Texas. I came back to let y'all know that your team played an inspired game. Highly recommend you think about taking up another hobby .. it's just a game.

you are a freaking turd. and prob still hung up on a girl you had a few dates with, 45 yeas ago.

think about last years msu/usm game. now think about this years. swing a couple plays one way or the other, and msu goes home crying. now, imagine if they played next year. your new big stadium and BS ramblings wouldn't be able to stop the a$$-kicking msu would receive. since you've attended many msu losses from USM, im sure it wouldn't surprise you. hard to understand with all of msu's resources in comparison to USM's, why they get owned by golden eagles over the last 50 years.

Yes, I've seen a huge number of State losses over the years .. win or lose, I will always be a bulldog fan. Yes, couple of plays, one way and it may have been a loss. Couple of plays, the other way .. not fumbling on the one, muffed punt, dropped passes .. and it could'a been a 49-0 score like last year. That's why they play the game.

It doesn't hurt (or not hurt) to play (or not play) Southern Miss. However, there is no doubt that this game put a shot of adrenaline into your program. Even though yall didn't win this game, you played well, hung in there, sold out your stadium, and really showed that you guys are a lot better this year. This is EXACTLY what your program needed and I'm glad that State was cool enough to help you do that. It seemed like it was back to the old days when Southern was a proud program and you guys are on your way to being that proud program once again. I think you go 7-5 and make a bowl game... I really do. Most of the State fans that I have talked to were pleasantly surprised with the atmosphere and addition to your new stadium. Sure, there are things that could be improved, but overall I had a freaking blast at this game.

Let me say this, it still doesn't benefit us to play in Hattiesburg, and a loss would hurt, but I hope we can do this again. Even if it's a 2-1 or something like that. It's great for the Hattiesburg economy and overall the State of Mississippi. And it's a lot of fun hanging out with your fans. (Most of them). I don't get why some people on this board have all this hate "for anything SEC". You should be thanking us for doing this game because we could have just played a home game against some team that would be boring to watch. (like all other SEC teams do).

I do think that you need to open more gates to the game next time. Good luck this year

The game was scheduled 5 or 6 years ago when we were still posting winning seasons, 15 or 16 straight at that point ....State was even criticized last season for their weak NC schedule with So Miss cited as an example...the logic is exactly as appropriate for that discussion as it is for this one...the fact that the return visit came at the end of a historic 3 season skid is purely coincidental .....don't give yourself tennis elbow patting yourself on your hairy back....it could have been just about anybody, but it just so happened to be State....2-1 will be the format once the series is considered in the future, IMO....not that I agree with that, but that is the reality with scheduling the SEC if you are in the Group of 5 leagues ....you guys should really start thinking about LSU.....it's Tuesday

The game was scheduled 5 or 6 years ago when we were still posting winning seasons, 15 or 16 straight at that point ....State was even criticized last season for their weak NC schedule with So Miss cited as an example...the logic is exactly as appropriate for that discussion as it is for this one...the fact that the return visit came at the end of a historic 3 season skid is purely coincidental .....don't give yourself tennis elbow patting yourself on your hairy back....it could have been just about anybody, but it just so happened to be State....2-1 will be the format once the series is considered in the future, IMO....not that I agree with that, but that is the reality with scheduling the SEC if you are in the Group of 5 leagues ....you guys should really start thinking about LSU.....it's Tuesday

Yeah I agree with most of this. I'm just stating facts that I'm sure most USM fans would agree with. State and apparently now Kentucky, are the only SEC teams that have agreed to play in Hattiesburg since Ole Miss in the 70's. We didn't have to do that and a large number of our fans didn't agree with it. We still came to Hattiesburg, helped to sell out your stadium, and had a great time with your fans. So, no it could not have been "just about anybody". I would think we at least gained some credit from you guys.

Your program needed a game like this to set the tone and get your fans back interested in your once proud program. State provided that. State swallowed their pride and finally did it. Do you not agree with that?

Oh The series was actually set up more than 5 -6 years ago more like 8-9 years ago . Really to be truthful we probably had the better program at that time. But again thanks for playing USM. I think we got you better prepared for LSU than Tenn martin really Ole Miss. Like I said not every year but every few years this was nice. And It was good to visit the campuses and see things. I had not been to state since 1989 or 1990 whenever we last played up there and it had really changed. The biggest thing is money stayed in state and it was a good football atmosphere. Thanks again I know you all could have easily sent us a check and said we are not coming down there. But it wasn't the end of the world and most everyone had a good time.

Yeah I agree with most of this. I'm just stating facts that I'm sure most USM fans would agree with. State and apparently now Kentucky, are the only SEC teams that have agreed to play in Hattiesburg since Ole Miss in the 70's. We didn't have to do that and a large number of our fans didn't agree with it. We still came to Hattiesburg, helped to sell out your stadium, and had a great time with your fans. So, no it could not have been "just about anybody". I would think we at least gained some credit from you guys.

Your program needed a game like this to set the tone and get your fans back interested in your once proud program. State provided that. State swallowed their pride and finally did it. Do you not agree with that?

"just about anybody" could have contributed to a great football day in Hattiesburg

These schools could/would contribute equally or better as a Gameday Opponent in Hattiesburg

ACC- FSU, Clemson, The U
Pac12- USC, Oregon
Big- Nebraska, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State
Big 12- Texas, OU, Baylor, TCU
SEC- ole miss, Bama, Auburn, LSU, A&M, Florida, UT, Arkansas, UGA, So Carolina (on the fence with that one), and MSU

Vandy, Kentucky and Missouri would generate less interest than any of those listed above based on geography.

State was there in force, mainly because of geography and coming off of their best season ever.

Programs like Nebraska never not show up....ever

Oh The series was actually set up more than 5 -6 years ago more like 8-9 years ago . Really to be truthful we probably had the better program at that time. But again thanks for playing USM. I think we got you better prepared for LSU than Tenn martin really Ole Miss. Like I said not every year but every few years this was nice. And It was good to visit the campuses and see things. I had not been to state since 1989 or 1990 whenever we last played up there and it had really changed. The biggest thing is money stayed in state and it was a good football atmosphere. Thanks again I know you all could have easily sent us a check and said we are not coming down there. But it wasn't the end of the world and most everyone had a good time.

According to the USM Athletic site .. series was agreed to 6 years ago in 2009 ..

http://www.usm.edu/news/archives/older/cms/indexa8bc.html

Southern Miss, Mississippi State Agree to Two-Year Football Series
Thursday, September 24, 2009
Contact Jack Duggan, 601.266.4503 or Jana Bryant, 601.266.4497

Southern Miss and Mississippi State announced jointly Thursday afternoon at the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame in Jackson that they will play a two-game, home-and-home football series beginning in 2014.

According to the USM Athletic site .. series was agreed to 6 years ago in 2009 ..

Southern Miss and Mississippi State announced jointly Thursday afternoon at the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame in Jackson that they will play a two-game, home-and-home football series beginning in 2014.

In 2009, So Miss finished 7-6, their 16th straight winning season....seems like a bold move by the Dogs to schedule this series...I remember be as surprised as I was impressed.

2-1 will be the format once the series is considered in the future, IMO....not that I agree with that, but that is the reality with scheduling the SEC if you are in the Group of 5 leagues ....

I strongly disagree with this statement. If what you said was true, there is no way that this year our AD could have scheduled a home and home with Kentucky. The fact is that in the power conferences (including the SEC) there are two levels: traditional powers in one group and lower/mid-tier programs in the other group. There is no reason to schedule a 2 for 1 with any program that is in the 2nd group.....and MSU and Ole Miss are definitely in the 2nd group. And that isn't a partisan slam against those 2 programs- just reality. 2 for 1 agreements should only be scheduled with truly worthy programs like Nebraska, Florida State, Texas A&M, etc. During the past several decades we never have scheduled a 2 for 1 with a mid/lower tier program from a power conference. If the day ever comes that we do, we've thrown away our leverage to have any other similar program sign a home and home with us. Why should a Virginia, Illinois, Oklahoma State, NC State, or Kansas agree to a home and home with us when they see us agree to a 2 for 1 series with MSU or Ole Miss?

That is

That is when the general public found out. We on Eagle talk knew about it long before then. HA seriously you got me, it seemed longer than that, anyway it was good time Thanks for coming. Its like the time as a kid My momma took me to the museum, "A little culture will never hurt you" That is what you pups need to think when you come to Hattiesburg. SMTTT

I strongly disagree with this statement. If what you said was true, there is no way that this year our AD could have scheduled a home and home with Kentucky. The fact is that in the power conferences (including the SEC) there are two levels: traditional powers in one group and lower/mid-tier programs in the other group. There is no reason to schedule a 2 for 1 with any program that is in the 2nd group.....and MSU and Ole Miss are definitely in the 2nd group. And that isn't a partisan slam against those 2 programs- just reality. 2 for 1 agreements should only be scheduled with truly worthy programs like Nebraska, Florida State, Texas A&M, etc. During the past several decades we never have scheduled a 2 for 1 with a mid/lower tier program from a power conference. If the day ever comes that we do, we've thrown away our leverage to have any other similar program sign a home and home with us. Why should a Virginia, Illinois, Oklahoma State, NC State, or Kansas agree to a home and home with us when they see us agree to a 2 for 1 series with MSU or Ole Miss?

Opinions vary....the SEC is different that the other 4....especially, when you consider them scheduling a Group of 5 team that exists in their backyard....they do not wish to do anything to help the likes of ULL, Ark State and, yes, Southern Miss....your position is the way that it SHOULD be, but it just is not anymore...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT