ADVERTISEMENT

Southern Miss AD said big football against regional opponent...

Houston Eagle

BGN Pro Poster
Aug 11, 2005
Anybody want to guess? My money says it needs to be a big time program like an FSU or even TCU/UL. I don't consider Memphis or Tulane a big time football program.

We're trying to get a good mix of regional games and occasional big time game. I would like our old series matchup regionally with Tulane, Memphis, and UL-Lafayette. Of coarse I still want the Florida State's of the P5 too. It's just the nature of the business these days.

If I weren't on my phone I would post the"Rick Roll" video because unless this is another USM UK type series, then I just see it as the old CUSA all over again. I hope this involves a marquis school, either SEC, or FSU. I would also take a 2 for 1 with a Big 12 or BIG 10 school such as Nebraska, Michigan, etc.

Anybody want to guess? My money says it needs to be a big time program like an FSU or even TCU/UL. I don't consider Memphis or Tulane a big time football program.
MAO TSE GORE tried to tell you guys that we didn't need another, uhhhhhhh, was it a "grinning chicken" ?

Now it seems we have a cross between a grinning chicken and an El'loss Johnson.

We really need to get rid of this president. Trump has announced no more trannies in the military...anywhere. Perhaps since we seem to be headed back to sanity, maybe we could find the guts to do something about him too. If we learned anything under Bummer, it might be the old "quacks like a duck" thingy.

I think you are on the right track, but we announced the coup of USA a few years ago, don't remember when it starts. Thinking Ragin Cajuns, which would be an improvement, but wouldn't really move the needle.

Either way, I am preparing to link the Geraldo Rivera Al Capone vault video in case.
Now that is showing your age Houston. Reminds me of the time I used an ole yellow anolegy in a conversation with some 20 something year olds. I thought it made my point perfectly. Problem was they had never heard of ole yellow.

First VCR was a 1984 JVC with a REMOTE CONTROL. It only cost $800 in 1984 dollars. First TV was a portable b&w tv. Tom Selleck drove a gray Ferrari for all I knew. I struggled to tune in WDBD 40 from Jackson. The national anthem used to signal that stations went off the air at night. I remember WJTV would come on the air with a pretty talented acoustic guitar player named Mike Ella playing the national anthem preceded by the colorbar testband. My favorite tv signoff was on PBS of all channels playing the anthem showing pictures chronicling the nation's history ending with the man on the moon. I'll have to find it on youtube. You couldn't help but feel proud to be an American after seeing that.

Last edited:
Reactions: garynada
First VCR was a 1984 JVC with a REMOTE CONTROL. It only cost $800 in 1984 dollars. First TV was a portable b&w tv. Tom Selleck drove a gray Ferrari for all I knew. I struggled to tune in WDBD 40 from Jackson. The national anthem used to signal that stations went off the air at night. I remember WJTV would come on the air with a pretty talented acoustic guitar player named Mike Ella playing the national anthem preceded by the colorbar testband. My favorite tv signoff was on PBS of all channels playing the anthem showing pictures chronicling the nation's history ending with the man on the moon. I'll have to find it on youtube. You couldn't help but feel proud to be an American after seeing that.

Like sands through the hour glass In Hattiesburg we only got WDAM during the day but at night with tin foil on the rabbit ears we could pick up the station on the coast. Sometimes someone would have to hold one of the antennas to make the picture clear enough to watch

During the day...

WJTV(CBS) 12 Jackson VHF
WLBT 3 (NBC)Jackson VHF ( I found out later this was the only channel ever to be taken off air by the FCC)
WAPT 16(ABC) Jackson UHF (harder to tune in)
WDBD 40(Independent/Fox) Jackson UHF
At night all of the above and a grainy KNOE 8 (CBS) Monroe.
CBS had the best shows...Dukes of Hazzard, Mama's family(hit a little too close to home though:) and the show with the dark gray Ferrari Magnum P.I. I vividly remember the Magnum P.I. promo where when you saw the mouse driving the Ferrari, call I think it was Z 106.7 Jackson to receive a prize...rotary dial tones just couldn't compete with speed dial.

Relating to USM, it must have been a really bid deal to get the Eagles on ABC.
BTW I bet no one remembers this original Magnum P.I. intro

Reactions: garynada
Was the AD giving untimely or wrong information? The failure of this announcement is as bad as when McGillis said he would show new RGC plans then failed to show them for several months after promising to do so much sooner.

Why not just announce games as they are scheduled? Do other athletic departments routinely announce teasers with "big time" unnamed opponents that "may be" scheduled at some time in the future?

All I can say is that playing a former conference member is not a major announcement. The home and home with UK was a major announcement.I literally remember waiting several years for Nebraska to come to Hattiesburg. People said it would never happen, probably the same people that said no SEC team would ever come to Hattiesburg. I'll give Bill 2.0 credit for swooping in after UAB folded to take up the deal. I hope that this new announcement can build season tickets. This year I would think that UK game would need to be opened up to general sales coming off a 7-6 season. We'll see.

Anytime we can schedule MSU or Ole Miss, it's a good thing for Southern Miss football. I'd gladly sign 2-for-1 deals if we could play them every season.

Why not just announce games as they are scheduled? Do other athletic departments routinely announce teasers with "big time" unnamed opponents that "may be" scheduled at some time in the future?

Unfortunately the whole announcement that an announcement is coming thing appears to be a thing now (why can't it just be like 'fetch' in Mean Girls?). I first noticed it in politics. At least one presidential candidate did it in 2015 (*cough* Jeb Bush *cough*). I've noticed one state official running for governor in Georgia do something similar for his announcement that he was running for governor. One could argue the movie industry does it too with the whole "We're gonna drop our film's new trailer on such-and-such date so be on the look out for it" thing.

I get frustrated at the wait, but it was a good announcement to wait. I am glad that USM is past the no SEC team will play in Hattiesburg nonsense. The UK USM series was a MAJOR acheivement. I would say getting a major conference team at a home per year would really help attendance, along with scheduling the likes of Tulane that have some fans that will travel.

I am glad that USM is past the no SEC team will play in Hattiesburg nonsense. The UK USM series was a MAJOR acheivement. I would say getting a major conference team at a home per year would really help attendance, along with scheduling the likes of Tulane that have some fans that will travel.
I don't think Tulane moves the needle much at home, aside from a few hundred tickets to some diehard Green Wavers. But it does make for a convenient and fun road game in New Orleans for Eagle fans.

I feels like can get MSU regularly, then mix in an occasional deal with Texas A&M, Auburn, Kentucky, Missouri, maybe even Alabama once per decade. It just feels like the numbers & money don't work favorably for some of the more prominent SEC schools to schedule USM in Hattiesburg...even as part of lopsided deals.

Kentucky plays at Eastern Michigan next year. It can be done. Kudos to them for going on non conference road games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT