ADVERTISEMENT

I'm very happy with the progress. But question about the AAC

Aug 23, 2003
Question: how much more fan interest would there be if we were 6-3 playing an AAC schedule instead of 6-3 in CUSA with a remaining home conference game with ODU? I know conference realignment is old news, but just curious. In my opinion, AAC teams would make a 6-3 record seem more exciting and interesting.

The biggest thing I hate about USM athletics is CUSA. It is a shame teams we identify with, Memphis, Tulame, UCF, UH, ECU are in another conference and we are stuck where we are.

Reactions: EasyEagle
The biggest thing I hate about USM athletics is CUSA. It is a shame teams we identify with, Memphis, Tulame, UCF, UH, ECU are in another conference and we are stuck where we are.
I think we just need to trim the fat an add south Alabama and Ark state.
West- utsa, unt, rice, utep, LaTech , ark state
East- USM, USA, UAB, WKU, MTSU, Marshall
Get rid of those no name Florida schools and Charlotte and ODU. Plus more regional rivalries. 14 teams is to many when we are fishing from the bottom of the barrel. Just a shame we went down the tubes right when conference realignment was happening. That being said its all about TV markets and Hattiesburg doesn't have one.

Reactions: sprint-draw gandy!
Question: how much more fan interest would there be if we were 6-3 playing an AAC schedule instead of 6-3 in CUSA with a remaining home conference game with ODU? I know conference realignment is old news, but just curious. In my opinion, AAC teams would make a 6-3 record seem more exciting and interesting.
I don't care about the AAC. I care about USM. When we played those teams in the AAC all the fans did on this board was complain about how bad the conference was with those teams in it. Now so many of the same fans want to be back with the teams they complained about for years. Just last year that conference was rated below CUSA. On top of that the cost of moving did not work. Just ask Houston who was lied to about the money and has lost revenue with the move. The grass is not always greener.

For me, I just miss playing those guys. We had decent rivalries with Tulane, Memphis and ECU. Neither conferences are big money conferences and neither one will get the respect or attention that a power five conference will unless one team is killing it, and even then, they will not get enough respect (Memphis this year). I just knew those teams. It felt more like home.

Most of our fans are idiots. And they are continually being dumbed down by our leadership. Savvy fans would reinvest with better competition and meaningful wins/record.

I just miss the rivalries of course we remember Memphis, Tulane, east Carolina Houston rivalries fondly because we beat them like a rented mule. They are so happy to look and know there is no SO Miss waiting to screw up there conference championships. just saying how many CUSA football championship banners are flying up in Memphis or New Orleans. I know Houston still remembers 2011

Last edited:
I think we just need to trim the fat an add south Alabama and Ark state.
West- utsa, unt, rice, utep, LaTech , ark state
East- USM, USA, UAB, WKU, MTSU, Marshall
Get rid of those no name Florida schools and Charlotte and ODU. Plus more regional rivalries. 14 teams is to many when we are fishing from the bottom of the barrel. Just a shame we went down the tubes right when conference realignment was happening. That being said its all about TV markets and Hattiesburg doesn't have one.
You need to get real because you are still including UAB and they DO NOT even have a football program. I doubt that they ever will and you want to include them over schools that have a sports program that does. Even when they did they were a drag on CUSA and we are lucky that their president cut them loose. They will never get back in the football business.

Goldenfeem 87 what drives me crazy is to the New York tv people those Florida schools and charlotte are more attractive than us. Drives me CRAZZZY this bizarre world we live in when the number of tvs is the number one criteria

Last edited:
The AAC schools we played had football tradition and rivalries with us that generated more fan interest. Yes, we technically made more money as a conference than they did last year, but I doubt that will continue. Plus, it wasn't enough to make Southern Miss fans get more excited about our new CUSA schedule compared to our old one. It's just sad.

That said, we must make the most of it. Rivalries take time, already have them with Marshall and LaTech, and winning heals all wounds.

I agree totally Gulf Park Eagle. I have no issues with Marshall and LaTech.
Bottom line is lets try to dominate this conference and make it the best we can. If another invitation come along we will evaluate at that time. Enjoy the moment and make the best of it. Lets be the best we can be and work as hard as we can. Keep our eyes open and be smart. Good things come to winners. Let's be winners.

I too would like to see us in the AAC. There may be a slight opportunity down the line. I say slight because I do think the Big 12 will need to add two teams in the next couple of years. Cincinatti and BYU seem to be the teams talked about the most, but some articles I've read in the past also mentioned Memphis. I still think the first two would be more likely, but you never know.

If Cincy gets the invitation, that opens a single slot in the AAC. Could we be invited? If we're winning, we might be in the conversation.

Other CUSA teams in that might be in the mix:

-Marshall is in Hunington and is about the same size as Hattiesburg, 48,000),
-Western Kentucky is in Bowling Green and has a population of around 63,000
-Florida Atlantic is in Boca Raton, population 90,000 (USF and UCF would say NO)
-North Texas is in Denton, population 115,000 (SMU and HOUSTON would say NO)
-Middle Tennessee State is in Murfreesboro. Murfreesboro has a population of 120,000 and sits just 35 miles south of Nashville the 39th largest MSA.
-UNC Charlotte is in the 35th largest MSA ( I'm not sure the program is mature enough to move)
-Florida International is in Miami, the 8th largest MSA in the country ( USF and UCF would say NO)
-Rice is in the 4th largest market in the US, Houston (SMU and Houston would say NO)

So, in my opinion, only Marshall, WKU and MTSU along with Southern Miss would be considered candidates for a possible replacement IF Cincy gets the Big 12 call. It's a mighty big IF....but you never know.

Goldenfeem 87 what drives me crazy is to the New York tv people those Florida schools and charlotte are more attractive than us. Drives me CRAZZZY this bizarre world we live in when the number of tvs is the number one criteria
Exactly the TV markets are what drive the conference realignments now. Its unfortunate but I'm not sure USM would get picked up by the AAC unless we were having Boise state level success over the next five years. And UAB just needs up find/keep the right coach and fix that dilapidated stadium. They will always be second tier to Bama and Aub but that's what people say about USM. Playing USA and UAB every year would be good for the fans of all 3 school.

Exactly the TV markets are what drive the conference realignments now. Its unfortunate but I'm not sure USM would get picked up by the AAC unless we were having Boise state level success over the next five years. And UAB just needs up find/keep the right coach and fix that dilapidated stadium. They will always be second tier to Bama and Aub but that's what people say about USM. Playing USA and UAB every year would be good for the fans of all 3 school.

UGHHHH....I don't think playing USA and UAB is attractive at all.

Reactions: BR Eagle
UGHHHH....I don't think playing USA and UAB is attractive at all.
I guess if we're stuck traveling to FAU, FIU, North Texas and El Paso every other season (not to mention our stellar home conference schedule) playing at USA looks pretty attractive to me. At least I can easily attend the away game. And for the home game, I assume USA would bring a few hundred fans.

I too would like to see us in the AAC. There may be a slight opportunity down the line. I say slight because I do think the Big 12 will need to add two teams in the next couple of years. Cincinatti and BYU seem to be the teams talked about the most, but some articles I've read in the past also mentioned Memphis. I still think the first two would be more likely, but you never know.

If Cincy gets the invitation, that opens a single slot in the AAC. Could we be invited? If we're winning, we might be in the conversation.

Other CUSA teams in that might be in the mix:

-Marshall is in Hunington and is about the same size as Hattiesburg, 48,000),
-Western Kentucky is in Bowling Green and has a population of around 63,000
-Florida Atlantic is in Boca Raton, population 90,000 (USF and UCF would say NO)
-North Texas is in Denton, population 115,000 (SMU and HOUSTON would say NO)
-Middle Tennessee State is in Murfreesboro. Murfreesboro has a population of 120,000 and sits just 35 miles south of Nashville the 39th largest MSA.
-UNC Charlotte is in the 35th largest MSA ( I'm not sure the program is mature enough to move)
-Florida International is in Miami, the 8th largest MSA in the country ( USF and UCF would say NO)
-Rice is in the 4th largest market in the US, Houston (SMU and Houston would say NO)

So, in my opinion, only Marshall, WKU and MTSU along with Southern Miss would be considered candidates for a possible replacement IF Cincy gets the Big 12 call. It's a mighty big IF....but you never know.

We're not going to waste millions of dollars to make a lateral move. When there was the BCS and the Big East had an automatic bid, a move made sense. As of now, the American is just another CUSA, MAC, or MWC.

It's actually ironic how we used to trash (prior to the good teams leaving) CUSA a bit, now we'd do ANYTHING to be a part of the teams that left in the AAC. The current CUSA is horrible and that's putting it nicely. 13 teams and only 4 have winning records?????? That is absolutely horrific. We are now lumped in with teams a lot of us had never even heard of prior to being left behind. Even I have to check our CUSA page to find out if an opponent is actually in our conference. It's terrible in every way. We NEED to get into the AAC with our true brethren, that's where we belong, that's where our rivals are. We can win all we want, but as long as it's against nobody's in a terrible conference, nationally nobody will EVER care.... I guess you can say the same for our fairweather fans too, they don't even care. It's embarrassing. Hopefully our AD can do something about it.

It's actually ironic how we used to trash (prior to the good teams leaving) CUSA a bit, now we'd do ANYTHING to be a part of the teams that left in the AAC. The current CUSA is horrible and that's putting it nicely. 13 teams and only 4 have winning records?????? That is absolutely horrific. We are now lumped in with teams a lot of us had never even heard of prior to being left behind. Even I have to check our CUSA page to find out if an opponent is actually in our conference. It's terrible in every way. We NEED to get into the AAC with our true brethren, that's where we belong, that's where our rivals are. We can win all we want, but as long as it's against nobody's in a terrible conference, nationally nobody will EVER care.... I guess you can say the same for our fairweather fans too, they don't even care. It's embarrassing. Hopefully our AD can do something about it.

Blah, blah, blah. We have heard the same whining since CUSA began. "These teams suck. Louiville sucks. TCU sucks. Tulane sucks. Memphis sucks. USF sucks. UCF sucks." Now a handful of whiny ass USM "fans" claim that they're all awesome and want to get back with them. You people make me laugh. We could join the SEC East, and you'd complain that we weren't in the SEC West. Get a life.

Reactions: Bangkok Eagle
Blah, blah, blah. We have heard the same whining since CUSA began. "These teams suck. Louiville sucks. TCU sucks. Tulane sucks. Memphis sucks. USF sucks. UCF sucks." Now a handful of whiny ass USM "fans" claim that they're all awesome and want to get back with them. You people make me laugh. We could join the SEC East, and you'd complain that we weren't in the SEC West. Get a life.

What he said!

Reactions: 80's eagle

Now that's 100% bullshit. Most of us have learned "you don't know what you got til it's gone."

If anyone seriously thinks we are better off in CrapUSA than we'd be if we were in the American, then you have a screw loose. Those programs are moving forward and we are falling behind. Sure, the football team has turned the corner, and that's great, however, the conference overall is terrible. And as another poster pointed out, basketball is pathetiec. Old Dominion is our marquee team.
I doubt we will ever go anywhere other than CrapUSA, but I don't have to like it. I for one never bitched about having to play Houston, SMU, Memphis or ECU. Playing South Alabama just because it's "close" is a bad way to think about a conference.

If anyone seriously thinks we are better off in CrapUSA than we'd be if we were in the American, then you have a screw loose. Those programs are moving forward and we are falling behind. Sure, the football team has turned the corner, and that's great, however, the conference overall is terrible. And as another poster pointed out, basketball is pathetiec. Old Dominion is our marquee team.
I doubt we will ever go anywhere other than CrapUSA, but I don't have to like it. I for one never bitched about having to play Houston, SMU, Memphis or ECU. Playing South Alabama just because it's "close" is a bad way to think about a conference.

Cry about it all you want. In 5 years, not 1 AAC school will be in vastly better shape than USM. There are 5 conferences that matter. Neither CUSA nor the ACC are one of those 5.

Cry about it all you want. In 5 years, not 1 AAC school will be in vastly better shape than USM. There are 5 conferences that matter. Neither CUSA nor the ACC are one of those 5.
They may not be better off, but as long as they're games are broadcast on ESPN they will be viewed as a better conference.

ESPN announcers on the ECU/UCF broadcast just said the AAC is by far the best of the G5 conferences so it must be true.
We need to get back on ESPN. If the MAC can do it. I mean .... I don't want any Tuesday or Wednesday games but Thursday or Friday on ESPN is good exposure. ASN is garbage

Reactions: BR Eagle
As always, you can always count on Legendary to be a dick. Nothing ever changes here. God forbid someone have an opinion different than the Ledgendary Dickass.

We need to get back on ESPN. If the MAC can do it. I mean .... I don't want any Tuesday or Wednesday games but Thursday or Friday on ESPN is good exposure. ASN is garbage

Not gonna happen. You're talking about the same ESPN that sued CUSA, and lost, because they were so butthurt that we dumped them for Fox.

Hey there old pals, haven't been over here in a while but I still check the scores to see how usm is doing on its journey back up. You're almost there, keep pushing.

To the OP, the American is as the Big East was the incubator for coaches and programs to move up from. Nothing has changed in that regard. So, it will open again at some point and hopefully you can leave Marshall behind forever to rot.

Good luck the rest of the year

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT