ADVERTISEMENT

Does the end justify the means?

Eaglebird Humperdink

All American
May 30, 2004
So, Louisville went from the Missouri Valley Conference to C-USA to ACC, hiring controversial coaches who have broken the rules, and leveraging corporate sponsorships. The NCAA will not likely hand out the death penalty to power programs in the future, as there is just too much money involved. So, let's assume Louisville and the other schools get handed some "stiff penalties"...loss of scholarships for a few years, no postseason play, and the old "vacate wins".

Because Louisville now has a huge athletic budget (TV contract, increase in fan support and donations, endorsed sponsors like Adidas & Papa Johns), they will be able to continue to hire top coaches & assistants and recruit great athletes to return to national prominence as soon as the dust settles a few years down the road. (See Penn State football, for example).

So, my question is....Is it worth it? Does the end justify the means?

So, my question is....Is it worth it? Does the end justify the means?[/QUOTE]

No.

MARK 8

31 And he began to teach them, that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders, and of the chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again.

32 And he spake that saying openly. And Peter took him, and began to rebuke him.

33 But when he had turned about and looked on his disciples, he rebuked Peter, saying, Get thee behind me, Satan: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but the things that be of men.

34 And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

35 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it.

36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

37 Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

38 Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

King James Version (KJV)

35 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it.

36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

Reactions: scotteagle

Just for the sake of discussion, let's say Coach Pitino and an assistant or two "lost their souls" by cheating or faciliting the cheating. After a few years, when those coaches aren't there, and L'ville is playing for an ACC championship...what about those longtime fans who are buying tickets to support their program? According to the King James version, have those people also lost their souls? Are are they forgiven, since the old regime is out, and the school now has new coaches?

I mean, people are going to fill the seats and TV channels will still pay big bucks to air L'ville games. The Cardinals will not get demoted back to C-USA. So they just tick right along as national contenders after they've served their sentence.

Last edited:
All I am saying is that it is always best to do what is right in God's eyes. Personally, I would prefer to stay clean and out of the muck and mire.

This whole situation goes well beyond L'ville. The FBI will do the job the NCAA will not. Whatever the FBI doesn't find to be criminal, the IRS will, and so on...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT