ADVERTISEMENT

OT: anyone buy, sell or trade guns?

Originally posted by BulletsFold:
I think I read that eagle talon does!
happy0003.r191677.gif

Am told he has different professions depending on which board he is posting on--but I only read this one and don't read any of his stuff anymore--so that is pure hearsay.

Don't know on the guns part of this thread.

Ace,
I do a little gun buying from time to time, but mostly for my personal collection. I'm always looking for good buys.

Also, if you let me know what you're selling or looking to buy, I can probably connect you with some folks that can help. Shoot me an e-mail at the link below.

I too take part in buying/selling, and can also hook you up with some others who do the same.

I've recently gotten more into it. Wouldn't say I collect or anything. Own a few handguns myself, and have multiple shotguns and a few hunting rifles as part of the family collections. Guess I pretty well fit the stereotype talon tried to put on me. Haha!

Catfish said "shoot me" LOL.... BTW,, I am someone who does not own a gun, but have been thinking for some time about getting one. What would be something yall would recomend,, i just want something in case someone breaks in and keep in mind I have a 10 and a 13 year old..
My 13 year old went quail hunting down in Milton Fl and bagged a couple, she also did some skeet shooting ,,, my father- in law said she is a natural.
I used to have a .22 rifle when I was a teenager but never got into hunting..

Originally posted by innswood eagle:
Catfish said "shoot me" LOL.... BTW,, I am someone who does not own a gun, but have been thinking for some time about getting one. What would be something yall would recomend,, i just want something in case someone breaks in and keep in mind I have a 10 and a 13 year old..
My 13 year old went quail hunting down in Milton Fl and bagged a couple, she also did some skeet shooting ,,, my father- in law said she is a natural.
I used to have a .22 rifle when I was a teenager but never got into hunting..
Innswood,
Find a local shooting club and get some instruction on basic gun safety and shooting techniques. Try to use several types of handguns and learn how to shoot one well. Also, get involved with a clay target shooting group if possible and learn how to shoot a shotgun. Both are loads of fun and are the best way to learn about firearms and their use. Join the NRA also-lots of good info from them.

Burn up lots of ammo until you decide what to buy. Guns are fun.

I agree with everything u said J-eagle. I have been around guns my whole life since I was a child, and have spent more than 25 years in the military and police fields. Shot about as many different handguns and rifles and all sorts of assault type weapons. You dont have to be an expert to defend yourself and your family, but you definitely need to be familiar, comfortable and confident with the weapon you choose to own. Practice and familiarity cant be understated when it comes to weaponry just as J-eagle stated. To add to innswood question, IMO nothing beats a "scatter gun" for home defense.

I agree with everything you said in your post except the last sentence wheras you recommend NRA Membership.

I wonder when the NRA will start encouraging people to buy a Howitzer Cannon for self defense?????? There would be
as much logic in that argument as in their present stance on Gun Control. (tic)

Bushmaster, AK-47 and similar Automatics with clips of 15 or more certainly can't be used for hunting, or carrying as a concealed weapon. Those type weapons are solely to KIL KILL and based upon whats happened in the past few years in schools, theaters etc it should be food enough for all to see that a line in the sand needs to be drawn with respect to Gun Control....

Before everyone of you NRA folks wrongly concludes, I have been a longtime CCW Permit holder in Mississippi and since moving to Alabama have had one here for a year. In fact, unless I'm precluded by law from carrying it in certain buildings, school campus sporting events etc,, have one on me at all times. I am not the least bit worried that the US Government will scarf up all of our weapons. That argument is as bogus as a $3 bill. I am very scared though that absent some new gun control regulations concerning weapons I mentioned above, my own grand children and great-grand children are vulnerable to some nut or criminal doing what we all have seen too much of recently.

It's real good that youngsters learn how to safely use, handle and store handguns and small calibre rifles but hopefully the
firepower we have seen too much of lately, will be regulated in the near future.

Not to hijack this thread but....Apollo, I couldnt disagree more about gun control issues. I understand what you are saying, but IMO this is the wrong way of looking at the problem. The ONLY thing gun control would do is control the everyday law abiding citizen from owning a gun legally. Over the course of my professional career, I have seized well over a hundred weapons from ppl, and at least 90% of those were obtained ILLEGALLY, and about 90% of those ppl were those who had at least one prior criminal (felony) on their record. My point is this, we HAVE laws in place now, just as we do against illicit drugs, and yet ppl are still able to obtain those. The criminal world will still be able to obtain any gun they desire and laws will not prevent this, but the vast majority of law abiding citizens will obey the law and not obtain one illegally. Guns ARE NOT the problem, ppl are!!! We already have laws in place, such as you stated not carrying weapons on campuses, but those have been proven to ONLY stop the law abiding citizen and not the wrong doers. Another point u made was, automatic weapons cant be used in hunting. First off, they are NOT automatic, they are SEMI Automatic just as many other weapons, and YES many, MANY ppl do use them in hunting. Again, guns ARE NOT the problem. I feel overwhelmingly saddened by what transpired last week, however; I feel strongly that stricter laws will do nothing to eliminate this from happening in the future. Criminals, terrorists, and crazy ppl will find the ways and means to accomplish there mission regardless of the LAWS that are in place!!

This post was edited on 12/28 5:19 PM by tonster29

Well lets see....take the most recent case at Newtown.... Had we had a law against semi-automatic weapons previously, the aledged shooter would not have had access to obtain one easily that was truly legally purchased. Would he? He could of course get one illegally and then have committed the same act. I do knoiw the difference between thea semi-auto and an auto but typed it in a hurry and failed to state semi. Thanks for correcting this ole man as you are most correct on that..

I would prefer to see those weapons outlawed so that persons like you, myself and other law abiding citizens would as you indicate, not purchase. Perhaps a 90 day grace period, if someone own one illegally can turn it in without punitive action but for those who didn't, put them in prison for the rest of their natural life (without parole) immune from some foolish Judge shortening their sentence.

Don't be surprised one day if you see where some individual has purchased a Howitzer for self protection.....That's how absurd the present laws are being interpreted by some.

Anyone who wants to discuss this further can contact me via e-mail as this thread from the start has not been relative to USM Athletics. My addy is w5na at att dot net.

It is an irrefutable fact that people that sick of mind and/or that determined of a criminal... WILL find a way to get those guns. Purchased legally was just a convenience.

If I believed he was a Mississippi State Grad, or an Ole Miss grad, I might have to get the federal authorities involved. I'd be forced to wonder if he was one of those NORTHERN Mississippi University groups planning a terrorist strike. I heard there's a bunch of State students, allied with some from Old Miss that were going to get together and hijack a train and take it to Cuba!!!!

Man, if you want some cool stuff, go to California. I just saw on the news that they offered cash for guns, and people were turning in rocket launchers, RPGs, fully automatic machine guns, etc. California's strict gun laws seem to be working great.

Apollo, you and i see eye to eye on many things but this isnt one of them. I own 3 AR-15's, an AK47 and other "assault weapons". I use them for sport shooting and even self defense. One of my AR's usually sits beside my bed as it is my go to gun for a break-in. Also when (not if) this country collapses on itself, ill be glad i have those to defend my home and family. The problem here is ignorant liberals and their "gun free" zones. Blaming a gun for a murder is like Rosie O'Donnell blaming a fork for being fat.

Also you need to go investigate Senator Fiensteins new bill she is about to propose. It IS a bill that is aimed at getting rid of most guns. Anything with a detactable magazine will become illegal, and that includes a common glock, Ruger 10/22 or anything with a detactable mag. Wake up, the gun grabbers are coming.

And for the record you can deer hunt with a ar15. a co worker of mine owns one he has for his kids to hunt with. quite successfully too.

The gun laws are a hotly debated topic but the facts are that number of homicides in the USA is about 3 times other countries

For comparison- deaths per hundred thousand by guns excluding suicides.

USA- 3.7
Canada- .76
UK- .04

Every West European country is below 1.0 including Switzerland which allows guns and has more guns per capita in the USA. Laws vary canton to canton in Switzerland but the gun laws are on average slightly more strict than the USA.

It is not a crime issue because the USA has a lower overall crime rate for all crimes combined than UK or Canada. Which leads me to conclude that gun legality factors in at least some. But, there is still Switzerland.

Homicide rates by those countries including any method used to kill someone-

USA- 4.2
Canada- 1.6
U.K.- 1.2

Meaning that if what a lot of people are saying is true that "sick people will find a way to kill people no matter what the gun laws are" then we must have more sick people in the USA than other countries.... or guns allow people to kill people easier leading to a higher homicide rate. Once again I'd like to point out that the USA crime rate is nearly 2/3 that of Canada and the U.K. so there is not a higher crime rate in the United States.

Here's some other countries homicide rates total and gun related deaths total (excluding suicides again) per hundred thousand

gun related total
El Salvador- 50.36 91.6
Jamaica- 47.44 52.2
Mexico- 10.00 22.7
USA again- 3.7 4.2
Japan- .02 .4

(And there's still Switzerland that may end up being the most important country in the gun law debate.)

Figures come from the countries police departments as requested by the UN for their regular conference on crime.

This post was edited on 12/29 7:10 PM by Eagleyed

A rambo gun isn't needed to protect a family....

A regular pistol can EASILY handle the job quickly and efficiently

I can understand though folks who collect guns though....but aks to hunt deer or semi autos to protect your house are outlandish usages of guns to me and there should be something in place to slow down how quick and easy it is to obtain

But oh well....this is just another hub thread...

Originally posted by Eagleyed:
The gun laws are a hotly debated topic but the facts are that number of homicides in the USA is about 3 times other countries

For comparison- deaths per hundred thousand by guns excluding suicides.

USA- 3.7
Canada- .76
UK- .04

Every West European country is below 1.0 including Switzerland which allows guns and has more guns per capita in the USA. Laws vary canton to canton in Switzerland but the gun laws are on average slightly more strict than the USA.

It is not a crime issue because the USA has a lower overall crime rate for all crimes combined than UK or Canada. Which leads me to conclude that gun legality factors in at least some. But, there is still Switzerland.

Homicide rates by those countries including any method used to kill someone-

USA- 4.2
Canada- 1.6
U.K.- 1.2

Meaning that if what a lot of people are saying is true that "sick people will find a way to kill people no matter what the gun laws are" then we must have more sick people in the USA than other countries.... or guns allow people to kill people easier leading to a higher homicide rate. Once again I'd like to point out that the USA crime rate is nearly 2/3 that of Canada and the U.K. so there is not a higher crime rate in the United States.

Here's some other countries homicide rates total and gun related deaths total (excluding suicides again) per hundred thousand

gun related total
El Salvador- 50.36 91.6
Jamaica- 47.44 52.2
Mexico- 10.00 22.7
USA again- 3.7 4.2
Japan- .02 .4

(And there's still Switzerland that may end up being the most important country in the gun law debate.)

Figures come from the countries police departments as requested by the UN for their regular conference on crime.

This post was edited on 12/29 7:10 PM by Eagleyed
I seriously doubt gun laws have anything to do with those numbers. America has pitifully weak penalties for most crimes compared to a lot of nations, so crime of all types is high. A lot of it also has to do with gangs, culture, etc. How do rates of robbery, rape, etc. in America compare to those countries you mention? And how many of those countries have 300 million citizens?

Originally posted by hotrock11:
A rambo gun isn't needed to protect a family....

A regular pistol can EASILY handle the job quickly and efficiently

I can understand though folks who collect guns though....but aks to hunt deer or semi autos to protect your house are outlandish usages of guns to me and there should be something in place to slow down how quick and easy it is to obtain

But oh well....this is just another hub thread...
I fully expect America to see total economic failure sometime in the next few years, thanks to Obama and the Dems outlandish agenda. When that happens, and the dollar becomes worthless, what are you going to do? When bands of thugs are roaming the streets, looting houses, and scavenging for food, how are you going to defend yourself? You liberal anti-gun nuts that aren't armed are going to be seeking out the gun owners that you are demonizing for protection. And a handgun is going to be useless. Only then will you realize the value of AR's.

I seriously doubt gun laws have anything to do with those numbers. America has pitifully weak penalties for most crimes compared to a lot of nations, so crime of all types is high. A lot of it also has to do with gangs, culture, etc. How do rates of robbery, rape, etc. in America compare to those countries you mention? And how many of those countries have 300 million citizens?
I did actually mention that in there. The crime rate in the U.S. is roughly 2/3 of that of Western European countries. So your wrong. America has one of the lowest crime rates in the World. The only country that has a large population size with a lower crime rate is Japan. However the gun deaths are as I posted them. Leading me to conclude that the high homicide rate in total and especially for guns in the U.S. is due to them being legal. No country has 300 million people to compare it too but how about this.

Total homicides caused by guns per 100,000

Japan 127 million people .02
USA 315 million people 3.7
India 1.2 billion people .93

The crime rate is lower like I said in the United States. About 2/3 of other countries. (UK has about half the number of total crimes despite having about 1/5th the population) This could be due to the fact that criminals worry about getting shot when committing a crime. And again Switzerland has a low gun crime rate despite being legal (though high compared to Western Europe) I'm not arguing to try to convince people to overturn the second amendment. I just don't like liberals or republicans or any other group not bounding their arguments in fact.

America has some of the harshest drug enforcement in the world, yet we have one of, if not THE highest rate of drug abuse. Drug laws don't work. Prohibition didn't work. What makes you think that gun laws will work? It's naive to think that taking away guns from law abiding citizens is going to affect the murder rate. Murders don't exactly care what the law is. The guy that just slaughtered a bunch of firefighters wasn't legally eligible to possess a weapon of any type, yet he still did. Criminalizing guns will just give the scum of America another avenue to get rich, and the law abiding citizens will get raped, robbed, and slaughtered because the criminals will know that they have no weapons to defend themselves.

Case in point, Mexico has very strict gun laws, and they are overrun by criminals that murder without fear. Switzerland has some of the most lenient gun laws, yet they don't even keep statistics on gun crimes because the rate is so low. There is no evidence whatsoever that strengthening gun laws will do anything.

Originally posted by Legendary Eagle:
America has some of the harshest drug enforcement in the world, yet we have one of, if not THE highest rate of drug abuse. Drug laws don't work. Prohibition didn't work. What makes you think that gun laws will work? It's naive to think that taking away guns from law abiding citizens is going to affect the murder rate. Murders don't exactly care what the law is. The guy that just slaughtered a bunch of firefighters wasn't legally eligible to possess a weapon of any type, yet he still did. Criminalizing guns will just give the scum of America another avenue to get rich, and the law abiding citizens will get raped, robbed, and slaughtered because the criminals will know that they have no weapons to defend themselves.

Case in point, Mexico has very strict gun laws, and they are overrun by criminals that murder without fear. Switzerland has some of the most lenient gun laws, yet they don't even keep statistics on gun crimes because the rate is so low. There is no evidence whatsoever that strengthening gun laws will do anything.
I never said I wanted to take guns away from people. I also wouldn't want to repeal the second amendment. It's people bringing emotions not backed up by facts that got to me. Something the liberals do in abundance but happens to Republicans every time the military or the guns are brought up.

That guy that killed the firefighters as I'm sure we'll find out, hot the gun from someone else and that person got the gun because it was legal. If he got it through some secret mail order package from another country then assembled it I would be shocked. As for Mexico; guns are legal there, even low caliber semi-automatics.

Also your wrong about us having the highest rate of drug abuse. http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/drug-use/by-country/. Looks like were about average for the first world countries. Also its a bit unfair to say making guns illegal wont make a bit of difference by pointing out the failures of making drugs and alcohol illegal. Last time I checked you couldn't grow a gun in your backyard.

My point is not to want to repeal the second amendment. I would be right out there protesting with people if it was repealed. I want to find better points for keeping the second amendment in place despite the fact that it looks like making guns illegal would lower murder rates.

So far I have

-Switzerland allows guns and their gun death rate isn't high at all compared to the U.S. and only slightly higher than the EU average (they do keep track of those statistics actually, I posted them earlier, it's higher than most of the Western European countries but, still low.)
-Crime is lower in the U.S. criminals are probably scared of getting shot when committing a crime against someone.
-While the government turning all evil on us now is not likely anytime in the future, its nice to always have that balancing influence in play.
-It's nice to be able to arm ourselves against criminals. Especially if you live in a liberal mecca like Chicago or Detroit Which by themselves count for about 10% of gun fatalities themselves, despite only being about 2% of the U.S. population
-Though high compared to other countries. Unless you live in a large city the chance of getting killed is very small. More people get killed in New York City by subways (134 people were killed by subways in NYC last year) than by guns.

This post was edited on 12/30 1:15 AM by Eagleyed

That's the point. People are going to figure out how to get guns just like they figured out how to get booze, drugs, or anything else made illegal. Sure, most law abiding citizens won't go to the trouble, but that will just make it easier for criminals.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT