ADVERTISEMENT

Not sports related but..

kbatema1

Key Reserve
May 29, 2004
If you live on the gulf coast you should be outraged! This oil spill really makes me mad as hell, I love the coast from the beautiful beaches to the great seafood. How is it that a company that makes so much money not have a plan of action for such an event? I am looking forward to 8 dollars a gallon gas this summer. I am also very sad for the lost workers and the victims families!

Go Eagles!

If the oil ends up coming ashore from Louisiana to Pensacola I would dump any stock I owned in BP and the owner of the failed rig because the money they will end up paying out in damages will be enough to purchase several medium sized countries.

Hopefully this stupidity will end the effort to allow the oil companies to drill off shore. This can happen anywhere they stick a pipe in the earth.

Excellent idea. Lets see though, there will be enough gasoline to fuel the farm machinery to grow crops, enough for the big rig trucks to deliveer it to our grocery store, enough for the sheriff and police, fire and ambulsances but thats it. Everyone else needs to either walk or buy a bike, forget about flying home for funerals, vacations, etc because there aint no fuel for that.

I just dont understand how a company with so much money would not have some sort of action plan for a disaster like this?

I do think we really need to look into other sources of energy, I have a small child and feel sorrow when I think of the future she will grow up in.

Hope that it is repaired soon and no one else is hurt during the clean up.

I think you mean Canada.
That's where we get most of our oil.
But, that's beside the point.
It is in the financial best interests of the United States to develop alternate methods of moving vehicles down the road at 79 mph rather than to depend on oil from anywhere.
If we can do that, we tilt the flow of dollars back toward US.
Tell the oil companies to STFU and get the fuel cells and battery packs running.

Originally posted by eaglefever:
I think you mean Canada.
That's where we get most of our oil.
But, that's beside the point.
It is in the financial best interests of the United States to develop alternate methods of moving vehicles down the road at 79 mph rather than to depend on oil from anywhere.
If we can do that, we tilt the flow of dollars back toward US.
Tell the oil companies to STFU and get the fuel cells and battery packs running.
Typical liberal thinking.
rolleyes.gif

We need to chill out a little about this and see what happens with this. The last big spill that I remember in the US was the one in Alaska many years ago and while it was not good, it was not the environmental disastal that it was built up to be at the time.

Originally posted by Central MS Eagle:
"Drill baby drill" - Sarah Palin
If only the stupid environmentalist wusses would listen. More jobs. Cheaper oil. Cheaper fuel, which would result in cheaper EVERYTHING. So yeah, lets just ignore a vast supply of oil under our feet (and the abundant benefits that it could present us) because the wusses on the left side of the aisle are making more money off of environmentalism and the global warming hoax.
This post was edited on 4/28 3:48 PM by Legendary Eagle

There's only one problem there LE... a quick google search on the topic and right at the top is this article: http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1815884,00.html
Here's a little FYI for ya:

"even if tomorrow we opened up every square mile of the outer continental shelf to offshore rigs, even if we drilled the entire state of Alaska and pulled new refineries out of thin air, the impact on gas prices would be minimal and delayed at best. A 2004 study by the government's Energy Information Administration (EIA) found that drilling in ANWR would trim the price of gas by 3.5 cents a gallon by 2027...." And guess what, by 2027 the international supply and demand is expected to go from 85 million barrels a aday to well over 100 million.... Plus, oil is a global market. It's true that oil pumped in the U.S. could stay in the U.S. But oil prices will be determined by international supply and demand. The fact that we drilled for more oil wouldn't necessarily have an impact on what we pay at the pumps....
So really the only thing that sounds right in your statement is that there would be more jobs; however, the impact on the environment from such increased drilling, all for the sake of saving 3 cents a gallon in about 15-20 years is mind boggling... Here's somehting else you can tap into for your reading pleasure: http://www1.american.edu/TED/projects/tedcross/xoilpr15.htm
A simple google search will tell you everything you need to know... the wusses may know a little bit more and be able to see past saving a few cents a gallon... many many years from now.. so that generations can continue to enjoy the earth, one that won't be here if people continue to rape it of its natural resources, for selfish reasons at that.

Originally posted by EagleFevel:
There's only one problem there LE... a quick google search on the topic and right at the top is this article: http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1815884,00.html
Here's a little FYI for ya:

"even if tomorrow we opened up every square mile of the outer continental shelf to offshore rigs, even if we drilled the entire state of Alaska and pulled new refineries out of thin air, the impact on gas prices would be minimal and delayed at best. A 2004 study by the government's Energy Information Administration (EIA) found that drilling in ANWR would trim the price of gas by 3.5 cents a gallon by 2027...." And guess what, by 2027 the international supply and demand is expected to go from 85 million barrels a aday to well over 100 million.... Plus, oil is a global market. It's true that oil pumped in the U.S. could stay in the U.S. But oil prices will be determined by international supply and demand. The fact that we drilled for more oil wouldn't necessarily have an impact on what we pay at the pumps....
So really the only thing that sounds right in your statement is that there would be more jobs; however, the impact on the environment from such increased drilling, all for the sake of saving 3 cents a gallon in about 15-20 years is mind boggling... Here's somehting else you can tap into for your reading pleasure: http://www1.american.edu/TED/projects/tedcross/xoilpr15.htm
A simple google search will tell you everything you need to know... the wusses may know a little bit more and be able to see past saving a few cents a gallon... many many years from now.. so that generations can continue to enjoy the earth, one that won't be here if people continue to rape it of its natural resources, for selfish reasons at that.
Ah, the age old excuse of "it won't be immediate." That is illogical, at best. It should have been done decades ago, so that we would be reaping the benefits now. It would be moronic to continue to ignore the problem when the solution is right beneath us prime for the taking. Especially knowing that a crisis is looming in the future. Anyone that thinks that we are better off depending on the middle east for oil needs to have their head examined immediately. The people coming up with the numbers that you are presenting as "facts" are the same people that produce erroneous report after erroneous report. They don't have a clue as to what American oil companies could or couldn't do. They don't have a clue as to how it would affect global oil prices. So if you want to take their wild guesses to heart, go for it. You probably still believe in global warming after all of their numbers have been proven fraudulent, as well.
rolleyes.gif
And I won't even dignify the Time stupidity with a response, as everyone already knows that they are in the pocket of the radical left.

Originally posted by EagleFevel:
so that generations can continue to enjoy the earth, one that won't be here if people continue to rape it of its natural resources, for selfish reasons at that.
And this comment is the most baffling of them all. How is removing an unseen substance from deep within the Earth "raping" it? If we were talking about ravaging forests, then you would have a point. And oil rig taps into a supply, removes it, and moves on to the next site without leaving a trace. Stop being over dramatic.

It ain't liberalism to want the United States at the forefront of the new technologies it's gonna take to keep the world running for decades and centuries into the future. And it ain't liberalism to not want my coast polluted and my oyster beds contaminated and my fisheries destroyed.

Lots of livelihoods at stake there, too.

The greatness of the USA was most evident when we were solving problems.
Now the YunieBrains are dancing to the tune of the oil companies.
We've got an environmental disaster in the Gulf and some people are too stupid to learn anything from it.

Originally posted by RaptorBpW:
It ain't liberalism to want the United States at the forefront of the new technologies it's gonna take to keep the world running for decades and centuries into the future. And it ain't liberalism to not want my coast polluted and my oyster beds contaminated and my fisheries destroyed.

Lots of livelihoods at stake there, too.
But is is liberalism to take 1 bad example out of decades of successful drilling to promote their tree hugging agenda. Actually, this has yet to even prove to have a negative impact on the environment. It hasn't harmed any wildlife. It hasn't harmed any vegetation. And it may be completely contained before it ever does. As usual, the media is sensationalizing the incident, and you sheep are just blindly gobbling up every crumb.

The greatness of the USA was most evident when we were solving problems.
Now the YunieBrains are dancing to the tune of the oil companies.
We've got an environmental disaster in the Gulf and some people are too stupid to learn anything from it.
Some people are too stupid to realize that the media is hyping this up for ratings. Some people are too stupid to realize that scientists are already competing for a breakthrough in a clean fuel alternative. Some people are too stupid to realize that shutting off the oil supply would do nothing to speed up progress in development of that technology. Some people are too stupid to realize that the only effect that decreasing our oil supply would have would be to create a financial disaster of Biblical proportions. I hope that you tree hugging liberals are prepared for the outcome of sending society back to the Stone Age if you get your wishes.

Well EagleFever, I hate oil companies as much as anyone. But, I ask who else is going to provide oil to the world? I recommend that you do the drilling and production to provide oil for the world. We could be safe from accidents involving oil production.

Oh, never mind. That would make you an oil company by definition. Not all oil companies are bad. Even this rig has a shut off valve on the Gulf floor in case of accidents. It just isn't working right now.

Oh and the report about opening up all of the US to drilling and only reducing gasoline prices by 3.5 cents in twenty years. Reports are misleading, what it means is they estimate gas to be 3.5 cents cheaper in twenty years than today. I would take that in a heartbeat, I'll be to old to lay on the beach anyway.

GO RED GO RED GO
LET'S GO BLUE RAH RAH RAH
MY TEAM IS BETTER THAN YOUR TEAM!

meanwhile...

What bothers me most is that I was fortunate enough to grow up in an America where this country would take the lead in solving problems.

Ever since we gave that job to China, Japan, Germany, Canada, and Russia...we've gone down hill.

It is easy to see why. Big business buys state legislatures and the Congress. The news media is blind and stupid. Nobody wants to work except the farmers. Both political parties are useless.

Developing the technology to end the need for oil should be this generation's man on the moon type project. But the oil companies will fill the heads of the Yunies out there with half-baked garbage.

Stop using oil and get everybody else to follow suit. Then your problem is solved. We are the problem because WE demand oil.

Until we get serious about putting people in charge who will effectively research new energy sources, we're going to suffer more and more down the road as long as the world population continues to soar.

What bothers me most is that I was fortunate enough to grow up in an America where this country would take the lead in solving problems.

Ever since we gave that job to China, Japan, Germany, Canada, and Russia...we've gone down hill.

It is easy to see why. Big business buys state legislatures and the Congress. The news media is blind and stupid. Nobody wants to work except the farmers. Both political parties are useless.

Developing the technology to end the need for oil should be this generation's man on the moon type project. But the oil companies will fill the heads of the Yunies out there with half-baked garbage.
I use facts. Your head is the one filled with science fiction fantasies. A legitimate alternative energy source would make the creator(s) TRILLIONS. You're dumber than I thought if you truly believe that there aren't organizations and individuals out there trying to develop the technology. The few small successes they've made are unrealistic, because the technology is cost prohibitive. Who wants to spend thousands of dollars every couple of year to replace battery packs or fuel cells in their vehicles? The simple fact of the matter is that it's not a simple problem to solve. Stop watching Star Trek and rejoin the real world.

Originally posted by ArmyEagle:
Stop using oil and get everybody else to follow suit. Then your problem is solved. We are the problem because WE demand oil.

Until we get serious about putting people in charge who will effectively research new energy sources, we're going to suffer more and more down the road as long as the world population continues to soar.
Stop using oil and use what? When the technology is realistic and affordable, people will use it. You people that think we aren't conducting an insane amount of research for alternative energy sources are either naive, uneducated, or both. Here's one example that came out today of where we've spent BILLIONS on single project.

Laser fusion

When you are right about something, there are few around here that put it better.

Perfectly put.

As you and Army have said: WE are the problem. We use the oil carelessly. And we don't elect the politicians who will do something about it. Hell, half the time, we label those guys as crazy and don't listen to them.

Precisely

"The Greatest Generation"* would have taken this on and pushed this country back to the top.

*I mean, after all, they produced me.

Re: Precisely

Look, I don't know much about politics and big business because I think it's rigged...

...but I do know right and wrong. And I think it's wrong that these oil companies are still posting record profits in my face and then showing commercials acting like they're speedy at trying to push alternative fuels to me.

I wish there was something I could do, but shoot! It's literally suicide trying to ride a bike in this town (I tried it for a week and almost got hit 3 times!) and I would walk but there are literally NO SIDEWALKS! In fact, I love how on hardy you can walk on the side of Elam and when you finish crossing the gravel pit and reach the end of the fence...the sidewalk ends and you either have to manage not to get hit by the tree limbs or walk into the road a bit to continue walking

Crazy!

I think if BP or Exxon or whomever were to see the city of Hattiesburg, they would cry tears of joy because they know it's going to always be addicted to oil...

Re: Precisely

Did you hear the news release from British Petroleum today?
They said their company was paying for the clean up of the mess.
Do they think anyone believes that?
A pack of nabs at the BP convenience counter will go up two cents.
Snickers 10 cents.
Gas two cents per gallon.
etc etc etc
And Yunie will be in there doing his financial part.

The answer is natural gas. The US is the Saudi Arabia of natural gas and if we just put a little more money in to exploration and development, we could pull ourselves right the hell out of this recession with natural gas and cut away a substantial part of our umbilical chord to the middle east.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT