ADVERTISEMENT

Does USM fly the Mississippi State flag?

EagleDon

Starter
Nov 3, 2002
I am not siding one way or another or trying to start something , just wanted to know.

I agree above that the state flag should be flown, but change should be strongly pushed for. If you want to talk about "heritage", I can guarantee the heritage of Mississippi would be just as strong with a magnolia flag, or whatever. Some things may be worth fighting over, but changing how the flag looks does not destroy Mississippi tradition or disrespect people who have built it. All in my humble opinion, of course.

I would have no problem with a change of flags if that what was voted on by the people. However, a dictatorial removement of the flag as the Mayor of Hattiesburg did is unacceptable to me....One man's opinion

Reactions: swac12
I agree as long as it is the state flag it should be flown....agreed with its design or not. I also agree that changes to said flag should be made, BUT until they are made it should be flown in all state institutions. Just one good ole boys feelings

I would rather them fly the ole miss flag than the Mississippi State flag.

I would rather them fly the ole miss flag than the Mississippi State flag.
7012636426fb5d1d42022df3b6085d08f7066803.jpg
3gCqS.jpg

If a majority of the people of this state vote to change it then change it. If they don't leave it the way it is. This country and this state is ruled by the majority. Simply put, that's a democratic society. If we bow down and change something, anything for the sake of appeasing a small group then when does it stop? What do we give up next to please this group or that group?

If a majority of the people of this state vote to change it then change it. If they don't leave it the way it is. This country and this state is ruled by the majority. Simply put, that's a democratic society. If we bow down and change something, anything for the sake of appeasing a small group then when does it stop? What do we give up next to please this group or that group?
amen!

OUR people overwhelmingly voted for it now we want a "few" to change the voice of the people of OUR state?

Wrong answer.

Leadership requires courage, courage to stand up AND do the right thing, not swaying in the wind of public opinion. That is what is wrong with this country, no real leadership.

The chicken shit leadership of this state threw the issue to a vote because they knew it would fall along racial lines, just as it did.

You pro flag guys might have a leg to stand if during all this time that the KKK and other hate groups used the rebel flag as their own, had uttered one word to protest it.

And if it's a heritage not hate thing there is a simple solution, put one star in the center of the upper left corner with a circle of stars around it, one for each state of the CSA. There is your heritage.

Reactions: Soaring Buzzard
2001 the state voted. At the time MS was 40% american african. 65% of the voters said keep the flag.

If the flag is the biggest problem we have in the state, we are in pretty good shape!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Due to recent events, I think the flag should be put to another vote from the people of Mississippi. 2001 was almost a decade and a half ago. I have a feeling opinions have changed since then (mine sure have). But until it's changed, I see no reason not to fly it at a state institution of higher learning.

2001 the state voted. At the time MS was 40% american african. 65% of the voters said keep the flag.

Surely you understand that could have been simply a matter of more whites turning out to vote. If I was black at the time I wouldn't have wasted my time. Only a fool didn't already know the outcome.

Reactions: TDuncan06
Wrong answer.

Leadership requires courage, courage to stand up AND do the right thing, not swaying in the wind of public opinion. That is what is wrong with this country, no real leadership.

The chicken shit leadership of this state threw the issue to a vote because they knew it would fall along racial lines, just as it did.

You pro flag guys might have a leg to stand if during all this time that the KKK and other hate groups used the rebel flag as their own, had uttered one word to protest it.

And if it's a heritage not hate thing there is a simple solution, put one star in the center of the upper left corner with a circle of stars around it, one for each state of the CSA. There is your heritage.
Amen to that

I literally do not care. And I do not think a flag change will make one single bit of difference concerning race or change in community relations. IMO

I think for some it will, but you are right, for some it won't. For those people nothing will make a difference. Those people are as lost as the Kluxers.

But until it's changed, I see no reason not to fly it at a state institution of higher learning.

I agree. Until it is officially changed it should fly.

Bottom line is its not going away. It going to continue to resurfaced every so often until it is changed. Even voting on it again won't change that.

Fight the good fight. Whatever you happen to believe that is.

Anyone looked at the Alabama state flag lately?....just sayin'

Yeah...the Bama flag is a curious and almost funny thing.

When I see it, I see a surrender flag with a red X as if it's saying never surrender. Think the pro flag people got the last laugh.

I think it needs to be voted on again and again and again.....until those that want it removed either get tired of losing or it passes. Then we can vote on it again and again and again until those that want it restored either get tired of losing or it is restored.

You can't change history but you can pretend it didn't happen. So let's spend millions voting on it every decade or so, it will keep things fresh......

I agree above that the state flag should be flown, but change should be strongly pushed for. If you want to talk about "heritage", I can guarantee the heritage of Mississippi would be just as strong with a magnolia flag, or whatever. Some things may be worth fighting over, but changing how the flag looks does not destroy Mississippi tradition or disrespect people who have built it. All in my humble opinion, of course.
All states have state flowers but must don't make it the state flag. Changing the flag is okay but let's not do the chic-a-fy it with a flower! But I live n Alabama so if guys really want a girly flag go for it.

If it bothers you there are 49 other states to choose from
If a school gets money from the state, they should fly the flag. I voted to keep it cause I didn't like what they wanted to take its place a bunch of stars. A magnolia blossom or a mocking bird I can go with. SMTTT

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT