ADVERTISEMENT

Bob Costas SUX...

Originally posted by Legendary Eagle:
Originally posted by TyndallsTacos:
LE,

There is a difference between smart gun laws and wanting to outlaw guns totally. I am smart enough to be open to debate and not group all gun laws into "outlawing guns".
You STILL are missing the point. Outlaw drugs. Don't outlaw drugs. Make them harder to get. Make them easier to get. Stiffen penalties. Loosen penalties. NONE of that matters. and NONE of that would make an ounce of difference in crime statistics. Drug users are still going to use drugs. Drug users are still going to get high . Trying to politicize drugs is ignorant, and just a deflection away from the REAL problems that we face as Americans.
Would you agree with how I edited your post? By the way I agree with your post to an extent and do feel it is accurate when discussing drugs.

This post was edited on 12/3 9:16 PM by TyndallsTacos
Depends on what drugs you're talking about. I'm fine with pot. Just voted to legalized here in Colorado. But anything else? No way.
Legendary, to celebrate and commiserate agreeing with you, after many debates, I am firing up the bong in your honor...... Black/ Gold

Originally posted by Gold Talon:
Just for the record, there is no correlation between crime and the economy.
I would disagree 100% with this statement. As a lawyer, I see it every day. When people can't find work, they get desperate and desperate people do desperate things, i.e., buy a gun and rob, steal, murder, etc.

Economic factors (and education), absolutely have a correlation to crime.

Go Eagles!

Originally posted by Gold Talon:
Just for the record, there is no correlation between crime and the economy. That's one of the few things I remember from my statistics classes. I did a paper on it, looked up the data myself, and put it in the ole dreaded mini tab program myself. It's one of those things that everyone assumes is correct because logically it makes sense.
Numerous studies have shown the correlation. Just one example...

unemployment-and-crime-rate.png

Originally posted by PensacolaEagle:

LE,

There is a difference between smart gun laws and wanting to outlaw guns totally. I am smart enough to be open to debate and not group all gun laws into "outlawing guns".
You STILL are missing the point. Outlaw drugs. Don't outlaw drugs. Make them harder to get. Make them easier to get. Stiffen penalties. Loosen penalties. NONE of that matters. and NONE of that would make an ounce of difference in crime statistics. Drug users are still going to use drugs. Drug users are still going to get high . Trying to politicize drugs is ignorant, and just a deflection away from the REAL problems that we face as Americans.
Would you agree with how I edited your post? By the way I agree with your post to an extent and do feel it is accurate when discussing drugs.

Depends on what drugs you're talking about. I'm fine with pot. Just voted to legalized here in Colorado. But anything else? No way.
Legendary, to celebrate and commiserate agreeing with you, after many debates, I am firing up the bong in your honor...... Black/ Gold
If we have to suffer through 4 more years of Obama, then we might as well be high!
roll.r191677.gif

Originally posted by PensacolaEagle:

LE,

If we have to suffer through 4 more years of Obama, then we might as well be high!
roll.r191677.gif
Lol!

Legendary, I'll rescind my statement and say that whether or not crime and the economy are correlated is up for debate and not a given fact. Like a lot of issues (especially where economists are involved) it's highly debated.

Many articles available on the subject, including this one: http://www.cornellsun.com/section/news/content/2009/04/14/no-direct-link-between-crime-economy-experts-contend

But for the most part, there is no real consensus on the matter. I think it's a complicated, mulch-dimensional issue that results in mixed and skewed data, but at the human level, you gotta think a bad economy has some effect on crime.

Originally posted by LegalEagle0906:
Hell, I'll chime in before this thread gets tossed. It's not about partisan politics to me. It's about basic Constitutional rights and my wanting to stand up for the document upon which this country was founded. We are already overly regulated and we have, in my opinion, an overly intrusive government as is. I agree that there is too much violence in this country, yet I think education and job creation solves more of the problem than gun control. Just my 2 cents......
I can get on board on this. I don't want to take any ones guns away, but I got no problem with waiting periods and stricter punishment for carrying an unregistered fire arms.
That would be good grounds to start the discussion, it's one of those topics that is very hard for gun owers especially to talk about. I am pointing no fingers at anyone on here, but in general, it's seen as a threat to ownership and to the constitution. I guess if you wanted to be a strict constituionalist, you could only purchase a muskeet, that's about all they had when it was written...lol...we need to start somewhere...Black/Gold

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT