ADVERTISEMENT

We should dominate CUSA this year

Marshall trailing Kent State 19-17 in the 3rd quarter. Marshall had 28 yards passing in the first half. Only reason it's close is a couple of missed extra points by Kent State and a kick return for a TD by Marshall.

if not for the stupid personal foul penalty that gave them 15 yards and setting them up for field goal range (right before half), and us not making two 30 yard field goals....we win.....despite everything else.

I hate to say it, because I don't want to jinx the Eagles....but I think we have a real shot to win out. I doubt it will happen, but even with a loss or two, that's a nice turnaround season! Let's hope we stay healthy and confident and these Eagles may soar.

if not for the stupid personal foul penalty that gave them 15 yards and setting them up for field goal range (right before half), and us not making two 30 yard field goals....we win.....despite everything else.

Nebraska missed a couple fg's as well though. Regardless, had we done something...ANYTHING on offense the first half we would have definitely set ourselves up in good position.

Nebraska missed a couple fg's as well though. Regardless, had we done something...ANYTHING on offense the first half we would have definitely set ourselves up in good position.
That play to Thompson should have been a TD. Looked kinda weird the way he was running. Don't know if he is injured or what, but even the announcers figured he was going to score. He was running toward the endzone looking back at the defenders until they caught up with him like he was standing still. Remember, we got 0 points on that drive.
From the game Highlights. .30 mark.

That play to Thompson should have been a TD. Looked kinda weird the way he was running. Don't know if he is injured or what, but even the announcers figured he was going to score. He was running toward the endzone looking back at the defenders until they caught up with him like he was standing still. Remember, we got 0 points on that drive.
From the game Highlights. .30 mark.

yeah I was thinking the same thing as it happened. couldn't believe he didn't score. figured he was hurt the way he was running. forgot we didn't get points out of that. sickening.

I felt like if he would have just turned around and ran he would have made it easy but he tried to stiff arm and make a move and it slowed him down. The fake punt is what really gets me. Our D was playing great at that point. Could have had them pinned back. Great game though

Guys, there's no big mystery here. Watch the video again, but this time pause it when Thompson makes the catch (45 yd line) and shakes the defender. Notice where the defensive backs are.

Pause it again when he Thompson turns and hits full stride (35-yd line). Notice where the defenders are.

Now with all 3 players in a sprint, notice how much ground the Nebraska players make up. Those guys are fast. Like, elite college defensive back fast. Our guy is lumbering at a C-USA pad-level pace. ;)

I think Eaglebird hit part of it but there is at least one more variable. When Thompson catches the ball he gets slowed way down and has to get back going. Already at this time the other dbacks are in full stride. That makes a huge difference.

Ok, so after watching the video once more, I noticed that #8 has to recover after nearly falling down while defending the catch. So, he is the one who has to get going from a complete stop, while Thompson had some amount of forward momentum. But #8 still has the best angle of pursuit. Meanwhile Kalu (#10) is about 10-11 years away from Thompson at an angle. Because DJ decides to run away from the closest defender #8, he actually runs to the right hash mark and directly into the angle of pursuit of #10.

So, I'll admit that Thompson may not be quite as slow as the video makes him appear. He actually did the Cornhuskers defense a favor by running into their faster player's line of pursuit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT