ADVERTISEMENT

Way to early to talk about this, but since it is presumed

scotteagle

All Conference
Gold Member
Oct 30, 2002
that Will Freeman is out for the year, then will he be able to take a medical red-shirt and be back next year??? As much as we'll miss him (he is one tough dude) we will need him more next year since we graduate 3 defensive linemen. While I am on injuries, I hate that we lost both JUCO tight ends for the MSU game...one of them for the season, again presumably, while the other returns this week, but isn't Parks a remarkable athlete? I wonder if he'll return to the defensive line next year. Yes, it's way to early, but it 'feels' like our coach has our program on the road to recovery. Barring more injuries, 7 wins this year seems doable and recruiting looks good so far for 2016.

Reactions: Itaweagle
that Will Freeman is out for the year, then will he be able to take a medical red-shirt and be back next year??? As much as we'll miss him (he is one tough dude) we will need him more next year since we graduate 3 defensive linemen. While I am on injuries, I hate that we lost both JUCO tight ends for the MSU game...one of them for the season, again presumably, while the other returns this week, but isn't Parks a remarkable athlete? I wonder if he'll return to the defensive line next year. Yes, it's way to early, but it 'feels' like our coach has our program on the road to recovery. Barring more injuries, 7 wins this year seems doable and recruiting looks good so far for 2016.
Yes, he will be eligible for a medical redshirt. We should have him back next year.

Reactions: scotteagle

As NuDae said, he is definitely eligible for a medical red-shirt. You can go to the link below that shows the requirements. Wil matches all of them, so getting approved shouldn't be a problem if it's what he wants to do. I hated seeing him being carried off the field- it was obvious it was a season-ending injury. You think about all the work he went through since the end of last season to reach the point that he has....only to receive an injury like that so early in the 1st game.

I agree that Ricky Parks looked outstanding at the tight-end position. That was the original position he was designated for when he signed with Auburn, so it's not surprising he did so well. I remember seeing that he wasn't on the 2-deep depth chart on the D-line when the season opened. I'm wondering now if that's because he was already switching over to tight end? He's an imposing presence at the position, and showed he has great hands pulling in some clutch catches. And Jay'Shawn Washington did a great job at tight end, as well. I wasn't even familiar with who he was prior to the game- and he had a huge impact. I was afraid his injury might be serious, but noticed where Monken said he thought he might be back this Saturday. That's good news. If they continue playing at the same level, it's hard to not imagine both Parks and Washington being regular starters at tight end.

You mentioned the loss of 3 starters on the defensive line after this year. In addition to Freeman, I guess Ricky Parks could always be moved back to the position if necessary. But if Parks has a huge year and is excelling at tight end, it's hard to imagine making that move.

http://www.athleticscholarships.net/2012/07/17/how-get-medical-redshirt.htm

Reactions: scotteagle
As NuDae said, he is definitely eligible for a medical red-shirt. You can go to the link below that shows the requirements. Wil matches all of them, so getting approved shouldn't be a problem if it's what he wants to do. I hated seeing him being carried off the field- it was obvious it was a season-ending injury. You think about all the work he went through since the end of last season to reach the point that he has....only to receive an injury like that so early in the 1st game.

I agree that Ricky Parks looked outstanding at the tight-end position. That was the original position he was designated for when he signed with Auburn, so it's not surprising he did so well. I remember seeing that he wasn't on the 2-deep depth chart on the D-line when the season opened. I'm wondering now if that's because he was already switching over to tight end? He's an imposing presence at the position, and showed he has great hands pulling in some clutch catches. And Jay'Shawn Washington did a great job at tight end, as well. I wasn't even familiar with who he was prior to the game- and he had a huge impact. I was afraid his injury might be serious, but noticed where Monken said he thought he might be back this Saturday. That's good news. If they continue playing at the same level, it's hard to not imagine both Parks and Washington being regular starters at tight end.

You mentioned the loss of 3 starters on the defensive line after this year. In addition to Freeman, I guess Ricky Parks could always be moved back to the position if necessary. But if Parks has a huge year and is excelling at tight end, it's hard to imagine making that move.

http://www.athleticscholarships.net/2012/07/17/how-get-medical-redshirt.htm
With Freeman coming back next year we now lose only two starters on the D line, Smith and Bolton. We will have some rally good ones coming up to take their place. Next year looks good overall. 5 first and second team players on O and 6 on D who we lose. While that's is some talent indeed, we will have a lot coming back too. That's 11 out of 44. Not too bad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT