ADVERTISEMENT

Typical May/June for our baseball program

ElectroEagle

Starter
Jul 31, 2003
start sputtering in mid may. Batters suddenly can't hit anything. Pitching will be good, or very mediocre. Usually the opposite of the kind of day the batters are having. Can't put together a solid, well rounded game more than once in a week, if we are lucky.

Why is it we can not seem to get more than 1 pitcher at a time that can throw 90-95 consistently? We need about 3. And why does our most potent batters suddenly go cross eyed at the plate in the post season?

We need at least 3 guys each and every year that we can pull out of the pen who can throw the ball hard (upper 80's through low 90's) and put some sort of movement on it so that each pitch is not perfectly straight.
Until that happens we just are not built to achieve success in a double elimination against the top 30-40 teams.

We need at least 3 guys each and every year that we can pull out of the pen who can throw the ball hard (upper 80's through low 90's) and put some sort of movement on it so that each pitch is not perfectly straight.
Until that happens we just are not built to achieve success in a double elimination against the top 30-40 teams.
You hit the nail squarely on the head. We dont and have never had pitching depth , we dont recruit post season type pitchers for some reason. I know that if Troy, Coastal Car., Stetson, East Car., UConn., and others can recruit quality pitchers we should be able to as well. I dont know the answer but it has been a problem as long as I can remember. One or two solid dominant pitchers can get you only so far in postseason, bullpens are the difference in us getting deeper into postseason. We have to get away from recruiting pitchers with 4.75 and higher ERA's from junior colleges. The hitters we are facing aint no junior college hitters and if they are walking 3-4 guys per 9 innings in junior college they are gonna walk more at this level. Just an opinion of course I guess the rest is coffee shop material!!!!!!!

A few programs have at least three Sandlin caliber pitchers. Those are the teams that go far. We have just the one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT