ADVERTISEMENT

The QB Situation

sprint-draw gandy!

All American
May 30, 2004
Looking like Griggs will be the starter. Certainly, you play the guy who gives you the best chance to win, even if its the freshman. Im thinking Griggs will be the guy to put us in the best position to win.

im wondering who you make the backup? If Rodriguez is by far the #2 option and pushing Griggs, do you burn his redshirt and try to RS Keon? Or RS Rodriguez and make due with Keon as the backup to finish off games and give Griggs a break if needs one for a play or two?

I'm just hoping we have good, competent, above avg QB play, but who do we make the backup? If Keon isn't working out, then he ain't working out (at QB) i say. But then, do you move him somewhere else to play? He's def a talented kid.

A: Play the next in line no matter how bad it gets, to avoid the reversal of a JB decision. Hope that didn't rub off.

Carmody's USM head coaching career was Reggie Collier's last(1982) and Favre's first(1987). I think Favre came in when Airlick Young got hurt versus Tulane?

I remembered it as just a gutsy call when we were behind and digging deeper instead of an injury, but could be wrong. Nothing against Young who was a fine QB. Went through my newspaper archives from the 80s and 90s and didn't find that game. But the stuff in there would bring you to tears....it's sad how far we have fallen. Once upon a time we were a very serious football team.

Fallen? Dude it's a different era and the SEC a and P5 are pushing our type out. Some of y'all are stuck in 1980's! We still play a good brand of football despite our have nots!

Reactions: BR Eagle
Whipping UK on the road last year qualified. Here's a gem from the past:

CL 10/21/1984, Butch John
"We came out and took it to them," said Ducksworth. "We didn't make the mistakes we made in the last few weeks. "We played to our ability."

One thing that isn't new, of course, is USM defeating the Rebels.

"This," said Rebel coach Billy Brewer, "is one of those days when you wish your parents had never met." "Robert Ducksworth made the individual plays, and that's the difference," said Brewer. "He hurt us with his athletic ability, the bootleg, jumping in the crack and making the first down."

Hemmed in on second and 7 at the 30, Ducksworth scrambled right, lurched into traffic, and appeared to be hopelessly trapped. That was before he pulled up and found Chris Magee for a 21-yard completion to the Rebel 9.

" Rick Clevelend
This one had to hurt. Oh, how it must have hurt. It was a third straight loss to an intra-state rival, which despite all protest to the contrary from the Ole Miss camp, does make the wound a little deeper, a little tougher to endure. Southern Mississippi defeated Ole Miss 13-10 Saturday in a game that crippled the Rebel's bowl hopes and dealt a severe blow to their chances of a winning season.

" Paul Borden
"The guard" he said, "hasn't changed yet," Jim Carmody

Reactions: EasyEagle
Carmody's USM head coaching career was Reggie Collier's last(1982) and Favre's first(1987). I think Favre came in when Airlick Young got hurt versus Tulane?

I don't remember the QB Favre replaced but yes, it was against Tulane. I think Favre was like 4th on the depth chart going into that game. He came in and let us to a come from behind victory. I'm pretty sure the headline the next day read "17 year old leads Southern Miss to Comeback" or something like that. Yes, he was only 17. His birthday is in October.

Alrick Young was the starting QB for Southern Miss in 1987 vs Tulane that Brett Favre replaced!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT