ADVERTISEMENT

Thanksgiving Notebook

lanny mixon

Oct 28, 2002
Here's a few things that I have picked up over the next few days. A lot of it is not enough for a full story to begin with so I decided to lump a number of them together distribute the info to BGN subscribers only, insead of in a story that all Rivals subscribers can read:

- McInnis Impressed: I think Dodge City CC WR prospect Justin McInnis came away much more impressed with Southern Miss than he anticipated. The talented 6-foot-6, 210-pounder we suprised by the game atmosphere and the level of support at Southern Miss. I think he will make his decision mid-December and I think unless MSU offers that Southern Miss is in really good shape. They may very well still be in good shape if MSU does offer.

- Gainer had a Great Time: Gautier '17 OL prospect Paul Gainer reported to BGN that he had a "Great Visit" to Southern Miss over this past weekend. Gainer will likely be one of the top OL prospects in MS in 2017, even if the Clarion Ledger has no idea who he is.... Gainer is athletic and nasty even if he's not the biggest guy around (6'3" 265-pounds), he'll grow into a road-grader in college. Gainer recently picked up an offer from ULL, and I don't see a USM offer being very far behind.

- Eagles offer Biloxi WR: Over the past few days Southern Miss has stepped up with an offer to '17 WR Tim Jones. Jones is an elite HS receiver that pulled in 100 catches for over 1300 yards and 17 TD's. Jones also holds a ULL offer.

- Gulfport CB Next?: Southern Miss also seems to be very high on '17 Gulfport HS defensive back Cleveland Ford. Ford is a lockdown guy with a huge upside potential. He already holds a handful of Sunbelt offers and claims a Texas Tech offer but I have not been able to confirm that. he could land a USM offer at anytime.

-Polk Update: ATH Tyler Polk from St. Martin (Ocean Springs, MS) is one of the most dynamic players in the state. He currently holds an offer from Southern Miss as well as an appointment to West Point. Southern Miss is caught in a numbers game with a small senior class. Don't be shocked if Polk ends up a greyshirt for Southern Miss.

- Here Comes Vitas: Independence (KS) CC OL prospect Vitas Hrynkiewicz has visits planned for Southern Miss, Texas State and ECU over the next few weeks. I feel pretty good about Southern Miss' chances to land this talented three-year eligible OL.

Other Notes:

With Monken's reluctance to talk about Andrew Peterson and T-man Holmes, it leads me to believe that they are no longer part of the Southern Miss program but no official word has been given.

I am going to once again be working with former Eagle and current Speed Trainer and Personal Coach CJ Bailey to hold HS Camps on the Coast and in the Pine Belt this year. Great way to look at a lot of quality players at once.

-

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News