ADVERTISEMENT

President Bennet...

Houston Eagle

BGN Pro Poster
Aug 11, 2005
For those in the know, how would you grade his performance at USM? I haven't heard about any missing bicycles, questionable tablet purchases, or a war between the student press and the president so that has to be a positive.

That is good leadership.I haven't read anything or heard anything earth shattering in the media, so that is usually a good sign.

How's enrollment?
Googled it, Last few years, enrollment looks flat at about 14,500. That may be the number they see as the target to meet thier retention goals or where they want to be in terms of capacity. The Adminstration's public data releases indicate GPAs and Test scores of incoming students are at a record high. They also site an increase in student retention. They seem excited about the retention rate but nationally, according to this article (did not see a date) USM is not doing well with that number. I would assume there would be an inverse relationship with increasing enrollment and (GPA, Test Scores, and retention). I am not a expert but on the surface it looks like they are not doing bad on enrollment. The data that is missing is the cost of increasing GPAs Test Scores and retention. Are the gains sustainable with the budget?

https://www.usnews.com/best-college...niversities/freshmen-least-most-likely-return

http://news.usm.edu/article/univers...eaches-record-milestones-fall-2016-enrollment

I clearly remember years ago that there was a high rate of attrition in the science program that I was enrolled. Having a solid knowledge of what is expected to an 18 year old is critical, as well as having good mentors and tutors. There is simply a huge jump from high school to university academics requiring tremendous discipline. There is a delicate balance between allowing students to enroll at the university and then retaining them there.

I'll give you a great example. I work with a Texas Southern University graduate that told me that while the admission standards were low relatively speaking, the majority of her science program peers did not proceed far in the program. Starting was easy, but completing was extremely difficult. I noticed that TSU was dead last. Again I think there is a delicate balance between admission and retention that requires a multi faceted approach.

Reactions: garynada
To me he is a bad hire. He isn't the kind of guy who will openly be the "buck stops here" type. He tends to deflect things. His past announcements on admissions and enrollments are total spin.
Example, last fall he made a big deal about enrollment didn't fall but increased by 3 over the prior fall. Well, when the dust settled we were down in total around 80. But no press releases to that fact.
Good luck trying to carry on a conversation with him. He's either headed to a meeting or will pivot the topic to something else.
He's headed into his 5th year, enrollment is down, programs are in trouble, and the fraternity life is pathetic (which when he was hired we were all told he could easily get the Greek life more vibrant because he was so experienced in that area).
But this is what the ihl and the same old small group of alums who get pulled in by the ihl have saddled us with.
His grade is a solid D-.

That is good leadership.I haven't read anything or heard anything earth shattering in the media, so that is usually a good sign.
Hate to tell you Houston but if you depend on media in Hattiesburg to give any "real news", you will still be waiting 90 years from now.
Hell, the evening anchor woman on WDAM pronounces Marine Corps phonetically as Marine Corpse. If you don't believe me, go watch an old video.

He donated his raise to scholarships.
First off, he's overpaid as is. Secondly, he will collect on the back end when he gets his PERS retirement. Thirdly, all the university presidents set in on the ihl meetings and they all vote themselves a piece of taxpayer money.
He announced giving the pay increase to the scholarship endowment AFTER forcing retirements and laying off a lot of people who were within a year of being in the PERS system.
I've been majorly disappointed with his tenure.

To me he is a bad hire. He isn't the kind of guy who will openly be the "buck stops here" type. He tends to deflect things. His past announcements on admissions and enrollments are total spin.
Example, last fall he made a big deal about enrollment didn't fall but increased by 3 over the prior fall. Well, when the dust settled we were down in total around 80. But no press releases to that fact.
Good luck trying to carry on a conversation with him. He's either headed to a meeting or will pivot the topic to something else.
He's headed into his 5th year, enrollment is down, programs are in trouble, and the fraternity life is pathetic (which when he was hired we were all told he could easily get the Greek life more vibrant because he was so experienced in that area).
But this is what the ihl and the same old small group of alums who get pulled in by the ihl have saddled us with.
His grade is a solid D-.
Sad but often political people who only talk the talk are successful in obtaining those types of positions. Being political is part of the job but with that word always brings a certain amount of dishonesty or as they would call it spin.

For those in the know, how would you grade his performance at USM? I haven't heard about any missing bicycles, questionable tablet purchases, or a war between the student press and the president so that has to be a positive.
Student press ha ha ! The printz was awful last year. It used to be the best paper in town but not even a shadow of itself now.

First off, he's overpaid as is. Secondly, he will collect on the back end when he gets his PERS retirement. Thirdly, all the university presidents set in on the ihl meetings and they all vote themselves a piece of taxpayer money.
He announced giving the pay increase to the scholarship endowment AFTER forcing retirements and laying off a lot of people who were within a year of being in the PERS system.
I've been majorly disappointed with his tenure.
I did not say I liked or disliked him, but what has made you disappointed? Just curious.

I liked Horace Fleming but to this day I do not know why the IHL forced him out in 2001. Bobby Chain tells the story of Lucas had to be flown in from DSU before the IHL board could refuse to vote for him. Don't other states use a more autonomous board of regents instead of a more politically motivated state apparatus at the state capitol?

Yas, many of them do. In some states each university has its own board of trustees. But I'm told the IHL is in the MS Constitution. Those people knew how to make sure that public higher education in the state would always be political and keep the power in the hands of a few. Sometimes I envy Wm. Carey University because as a private school they can do just about anything they want.

You'll have to google a HA interview with Bobby Chain from some years ago. The impression I got from it is was the IHL board didn't want Aubrey Lucas to be USM president, so Chain forced the issue by flying Lucas quickly to Jackson so they would not tell Lucas no to his face or something to that effect. Evidently the IHL feared that USM would have tremendous success with Dr. Lucas.

They evidently had no such fear with Mr. Potato Head....

BTW under Lucas weren't we robbed of leadership roles in Computer Science and Journalism?

FWIW I read the 1987 book Dearly Loved, Deeply Treasured. Granted it was designed to reflect positively on USM's history, but it portrayed AKL in high regard for university growth and progression. If memory serves correct, it also took a more negative view of President McCain. McCain was before my time, but from what I've heard he was more of a stoic type disciplinarian.

From my own time at USM, Horace Fleming seemed to be doing a great job when he was inexplicably forced out. The faculty and press had an intense distaste for Shelby Thames. The tension was palpable. Saunders seemed to be in over her head, so there hasn't been a lot of stability in the dome in 20 years. I do think waving out of state tuition was a good move. USM needs to cast a wide of a net as possible to aytract new students.

Relating this to athletics, whatever gains the university makes need to be transferred to athletics. Start with Reed Green Coliseum. Johnny Dupree is no longer mayor and "Rev" Fairley's borrowed time ran out, so there should be no excuse for lack of community support.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT