ADVERTISEMENT

Practice Notebook - 3/24

lanny mixon

Oct 28, 2002
Today Southern Miss dressed out in full pads for the first time this spring and took to the turf of Carlisle-Faulkner Field at MM Roberts Stadium.

I spent most of the day focused on the WR and QB. Here are a few observations.

- I really like the tag team approach of coaching WR's with Desmond Lindsey and Scotty Walden. Lots of high energy, attention to detail and four sets of eyes watching things.

- With Allenzae Staggers out for the time being, we are getting to look at more guys.

- Chase Whitehead is going to be a big factor this year, he flat out catches everything. He is going to be a very valuable safety valve for the Eagles.

- So far to this point Isaiah Jones looks like he has cured his dropsies. He's pulling in everything and making some great plays. Another upper-classman that I liked what I saw today was T-Man Holmes. He made some circus catches today.

- I have a story coming out tomorrow on a trio of "new comers" two of which really aren't new comers but redshirted last year. Jordan Mitchell, Trevor Terry and Quez Watkins. I will highlight how they are pushing the older guys and will be factors this year.

- During the post practice interview Lindsey noted Mitchell as the receiver who he believed had the best off-season.

- Can't say enough good things about the TE's they are physical and fast and so versitile. I really look for Julian Allen to have a fantastic year, Jay'Shawn Washington made some really nice plays as well.

- Side note, walk-on quarterback Marshall Kranz is having a really nice spring. He has bounced back to QB this spring after spending the fall at TE.

- Only recruit I saw at practice was Nataurean Watts from Petal. Invited walk-on commitment Thomas Morton from Niceville (FL) was on hand as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News