ADVERTISEMENT

Midtown Development Info

Yu-Es-Em

Recruit
Gold Member
Feb 26, 2017
Midtown Development Update
Hardy-and-29-Entryway-small.jpg

All you may know a lot about this project, but I’ve done a good bit a research and I’m hoping with this thread I can enlighten some of you on what exactly it is, and how much potential it has to revolutionize Hattiesburg and the University of Southern Mississippi. The Midtown in Motion Master Plan for Midtown Hattiesburg isn’t necessarily a concrete development plan, but it is a form-based code. The master plan lays out the ideal future development of Midtown Hattiesburg, while keeping all new construction bound to a code that would make construction look very much like the renderings above. The redevelopment of Midtown is really up to businesses and developers that want to operate a restaurant, hotel, boutique, etc. in that area. The first building that was constructed to the form-based code is Hattiesburg Clinic’s administration building on Arlington Loop.

The District at Midtown
Site construction is now underway on Hotel Indigo (the only Hotel Indigo in the State of Mississippi) and surrounding restaurants, retail, and apartments at what is going to be called “The District at Midtown”, a four star Hotel which will be nicer than anything we’ve seen in Hattiesburg. The development will contain a 100 room hotel, 7 restaurants, 40,000 square feet of retail space, and 14 apartments. This type development is what the true intention of the form-based code was put together for- a walkable mixed-use development just steps away from USM, Hattiesburg Clinic, and Forrest General Hospital.

635869093290127311-the-district-at-midtown---large-format.jpg.jpg

There aren’t any phases to the Midtown in Motion project because it is up to businesses to redevelop the area, but redevelopment is starting to move along very smoothly. A local developer with very deep roots in Hattiesburg is completing “The District at Midtown” project and dirt is being moved on the site as we speak to begin construction on the hotel. The entire Midtown in Motion plan is a fairly long-term project; I’d say 10-20 years for total redevelopment- could be faster if businesses jump in quickly to open their doors in Midtown. But I do see that area being completely redeveloped in the future. As far as obstacles go, I don’t really see any. The City, USM, ADP, and all utility partners that service the Midtown area are on board and are looking forward to growth. The ADP does whatever they can to promote the area to retail, restaurant, and hotel businesses looking to locate in Hattiesburg.

Midtown Form Based Code
The Form-Based Code, adopted June 2, 2013, is basically a set of rules on new construction in the proposed Midtown redevelopment area. There are certain zoning requirements for each section of the development. For example, ‘RD-2’ (buildings behind retail) is reserved for apartments, townhouses, and other residential buildings. ‘MX-3’ through ‘MX-5’(ground floor retail spaces fronting Hardy) is reserved for mixed use buildings which are 2-5 story buildings that have ground floor retail and apartments or office space above. ‘OS’ is reserved for a beautiful amphitheater park where people can gather for musical performances and other events. ‘EM-2’ through ‘EM-9’(near the hospital) is reserved for a business district which will mostly be medical related buildings. Most buildings are required to have continuous storefronts to give it that ‘downtown’ feel and make a wonderful atmosphere. The area will be very pedestrian friendly, and will have shade trees, wide sidewalks, bike lanes,and beautiful green spaces.

masterplan-web.jpg

Proposed Plan for outdoor Amphitheater
One block of the Form Based Code zoning map is reserved for a green, open air amphitheater for musical events and other entertainment.
54271f0098d86.image.jpg

Impact on USM and the City
Hardy-and-49-watercolor-small.jpg

Here is why the Midtown Project is so important to the growth of USM. After a high school graduation I attended last spring, I realized out of all 112 students graduating, only two had chosen Southern Miss. The reason in my opinion is image. Starkville has the new ‘Disneyland’ downtown that was recently constructed to give it a college town feel, and Oxford has The Square. As for Hattiesburg, we have Shoney’s. Unfortunately, many high school students choose their college based on the ‘cool’ factor of the given university. If the Midtown Project becomes a reality, I see enrollment surging dramatically and the university and the city will gain much more popularity and acclaim. Currently, our students have no place to gather, no place to go and hang out and expect everyone to be there having a good time too. The Midtown Project is something we should be excited about because it is a game-changer for the university and the city. Above you see a rendering of student housing in Midtown. It gives students the ability walk over to campus whenever and have everything they need in the neighborhood. Just imagine a football Saturday with something like this.

Revitalization of 'Little Gordy Creek'
Townhomes_Watercolor-small.jpg

Two key concerns raised during the planning included a lack of passive open space and stormwater quality. To help alleviate these concerns Little Gordy Creek could be revitalized as a “day-lighted” greenway. Little Gordy Creek cuts through the center of Midtown and is currently under utilized. A revitalized Creek would enhance stormwater quality and serve as a natural amenity for Midtown. New residential townhouses could front the Creek as bikes and pedestrians meander alongside providing a safe and needed connection through the heart of Midtown.

Concerns
I understand this whole thing seems like a pipe dream, and some of you are concerned it probably won't happen. You may be thinking there's no way all the ugly lots could be bought up to have a unified, pedestrian community. Under the Form Based Code, all new constrution in the area basically has to look very similar to the Master Plan. The three main partners: USM, FGH, and Hattiesburg Clinic, know what they want it to look like, and with accordance with the city and the Form Based Code, will get what they want: A mixed use(retail, residential, business), pedestrian friendly community that benefits not only the University, but the city as a whole.

If you have any questions about Midtown, email me at billynot6@gmail.com

Thanks,
Bill

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News