ADVERTISEMENT

Looking ahead to next year

I don't see how anyone will not pick USM to win the West and the conference. WKU loses their 6th year QB as well. May be making too many assumptions here but I feel good about our chances next yr. The biggest ? in my mind is at WR and LB. Losing K Reed is going to hurt but Trae Collins played well in his absence today. 2017 may bring some bigger issues with QB but that is then....

Reactions: scotteagle
The Eagles have more depth than we've had in a long time. Also, from a recruiting stand point, it looks like we're bringing in JUCO help at WR and LB (2 each). Who knows what else will happen in recruiting. My thoughts is this winning will help tremendously! If we can keep this coaching staff in tact, that will be the biggest coup! The combination of HC Monken, OC Lindsey and DC Duggan has been a good one!

I read where Lindsey's name has been mentioned with the ULM job..... winning turns heads, sometimes in directions that you would rather not but we will see. This off-season is going to be a big one in the college football wars.

IMO, Lindsey would be making a big mistake to go to Monroe! It's not a very good program and really poor facilities. If Monken leaves us, I think Lindsey might have a shot at the HC position here. Dave Duggan would be in line as well. I'd prefer a more experienced coach, but I could see a scenario where one of these two could get a shot. If Lindsey hangs in here, and we continue to put up these crazy numbers, he'll get a better offer than UL Monroe.

We need a big time JUCO OT (we lose 3 counting Peterson who is gone), and DT (We lose 3 there also). We need to hold the commits we have. We need to raise the salaries for our HC, OC, DC, line C's and our SCC. We should make Chip or Dave our coach in waiting to keep others from stealing them from us. We need to accept the eventuality that Todd will leave us for 3 mil. and there is no way we can compete with that, but we should structure his new deal that whomever steals him must pay us handsomely. Also, both line coaches are our unsung heroes for this year.

We need a big time JUCO OT (we lose 3 counting Peterson who is gone), and DT (We lose 3 there also). We need to hold the commits we have. We need to raise the salaries for our HC, OC, DC, line C's and our SCC. We should make Chip or Dave our coach in waiting to keep others from stealing them from us. We need to accept the eventuality that Todd will leave us for 3 mil. and there is no way we can compete with that, but we should structure his new deal that whomever steals him must pay us handsomely. Also, both line coaches are our unsung heroes for this year.

I think that they are chasing two Juco OTs, one is committed to Colorado State and the other is committed elsewhere as well but can't remember where. Assuming they get one, we should be OK IMO there. I like the bio of the WR's they have committed but look for DJ Thompson to be the go to guy next year and I am hearing that Reid Ryals will be stepping in for Martin. We have not seen him yet because the intention is to red-shirt him but he is listed on the two-deep just in case he is needed. Monken has stated before that the red-shirt will be pulled if something happens to Martin. That may have changed now since we are so far into the season.

I am a glass half full guy, so I always read too much into anecdotal evidence but folks that I know that have kids at PCS tell me that the Monkens are very involved in the school and appear to be happy and fitting in very well. Some have said that it would not surprise them if Monken sticks around long enough to see his son graduate from PCS. Take that however, but I choose to believe.

I do think that as long as the community and fan-base continue to support USM and continue to grow the fan-base or bring those that have left back into the fold, that Monken will acknowledge that and may take that into consideration when he is entertaining offers.

I realize that he complained about attendance a few weeks ago and attendance did pick up some for the next two home games, probably not as much as hoped. Yesterday though there were around 5000 of us at the game. We were loud and obnoxious to some LT fans but not out of arrogance but out of sheer joy for our Eagles. Monken and the team noticed, Monken made mention of the fans in his post game adding that "That's why I want to be the head coach here."

SMTTT!!!!

I think that they are chasing two Juco OTs, one is committed to Colorado State and the other is committed elsewhere as well but can't remember where. Assuming they get one, we should be OK IMO there. I like the bio of the WR's they have committed but look for DJ Thompson to be the go to guy next year and I am hearing that Reid Ryals will be stepping in for Martin. We have not seen him yet because the intention is to red-shirt him but he is listed on the two-deep just in case he is needed. Monken has stated before that the red-shirt will be pulled if something happens to Martin. That may have changed now since we are so far into the season.

I am a glass half full guy, so I always read too much into anecdotal evidence but folks that I know that have kids at PCS tell me that the Monkens are very involved in the school and appear to be happy and fitting in very well. Some have said that it would not surprise them if Monken sticks around long enough to see his son graduate from PCS. Take that however, but I choose to believe.

I do think that as long as the community and fan-base continue to support USM and continue to grow the fan-base or bring those that have left back into the fold, that Monken will acknowledge that and may take that into consideration when he is entertaining offers.

I realize that he complained about attendance a few weeks ago and attendance did pick up some for the next two home games, probably not as much as hoped. Yesterday though there were around 5000 of us at the game. We were loud and obnoxious to some LT fans but not out of arrogance but out of sheer joy for our Eagles. Monken and the team noticed, Monken made mention of the fans in his post game adding that "That's why I want to be the head coach here."

SMTTT!!!!

SMTTT!!!!

I think the real need is on the defense, mainly D Line and then Linebacker.
We lose Smith, Bolden and Russell.
LB's - Anderson, Swain and Wright
A shutdown corner in Reed.

We have 2 really good linemen we signed last year for OT and we have a couple committed now.

We have some great commits already
Just need one or two more:
Hoping for a big time DL and LB.

I think the real need is on the defense, mainly D Line and then Linebacker.
We lose Smith, Bolden and Russell.
LB's - Anderson, Swain and Wright
A shutdown corner in Reed.

We have 2 really good linemen we signed last year for OT and we have a couple committed now.

We have some great commits already
Just need one or two more:
Hoping for a big time DL and LB.

I agree with most of that but IMO DL is not as much of a need as it would appear because you have Freeman and Christopher Robinson (RS SO) that will return next year that had season ending injuries. Freeman was a starter and Robinson would have likely gotten a lot of PT. Bolton is the only starting DL on that list other two are good players no doubt but depth at the position. You can make a good case for a need at LB. I too am worried that we don't have quality depth there that we need.

We have two corners I believe committed, one from PRCC that is likely not as good as Reed but should be quality to go with the returning players that we have.

In the end I think we will have a solid base to build on that knows what winning feels like....should be another good year IMO.

You have to like our class so far with 2 linebackers coming in. Plus some guys who have been either hurt, Ruff, or red-shirted, like Paxton Schrimsher , who was heralded coming out of high school. I wonder if they might move Antoine to linebacker like they wanted to do since it looks like we have an abundance of talent at safety. CJ Perry will be back, and Sangster to go along with Parker. We'll need speed there to compete with LSU next year, and Kentucky has some skill players coming back. But yes, we do need a big ugly run-stuffer at DT and LB, so maybe we can get one of each before signing day. Swain and Anderson have been tremendous this year. Bolton has really clogged the middle too.

IMO i think Monken stays at least through next year. Why leave now when we got a chance to go 12-0 or 11-1 next year. Mullens will be a senior and we have a good number of returning starters back and will be the clear favorite to win CUSA. Also, i don't think Lindsey will leave Mullens his senior year either. Lindsey can see the that he probably would be the likely candidate IF Monken leaves. But, all that said, give Monken a raise to 1.4 mil a year, and put in a nice buyout in his contract so that if he does leave that it gives us some flexibility with hiring a new coach.

I like your thoughts Eagle96, but I don't think we can get to $1.4 Million. We might be able to scratch enough to get to $1 Million, but I'm not even sure about that. More than likely, we could get it to $800-850 K and then add on the $200-150 K in incentives if we can win CUSA/go undefeated/be ranked/etc.etc...
I do agree about Lindsey as well. I think he'll stay with Nick and know he might have the inside track at HC if Monken bolts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT