ADVERTISEMENT

Long-term Memory Loss

Eaglebird Humperdink

All American
May 30, 2004
I've got to say it. For those Southern Miss fans out there who are comparing this team to the Elloss-12, just stop it. It's not even close. Please don't make me relive that nightmare by enumerating the reasons.

Similar but different both HC were hired because the just want to coach at USM. Both did a very poor job of selecting staff. EJ never endured himself to the players and many off. Hop from what I saw was a players coach who is just in over his head

I think Hop could use some tips in interacting with his players... Watch their limited interaction on the sidelines. Also, what kind of coach walks into a locker room after a loss last Sat and says nothing to his players??

JOHNSON 2012
Date Home/Away Opponent Status Score
Sep 1 @ Nebraska L 49 - 20
Sep 15 vs East Carolina L 24 - 14
Sep 22 @ W. Kentucky L 42 - 17
Sep 29 vs Louisville L 21 - 17
Oct 6 vs Boise St. L 40 - 14
Oct 13 @ UCF L 38 - 31
Oct 20 vs Marshall L 59 - 24
Oct 27 @ Rice L 44 - 17
Nov 3 vs UAB L 27 - 19
Nov 10 @ SMU L 34 - 6
Nov 17 vs UTEP L 34 - 33
Nov 24 @ Memphis L 42 - 24

HOPSON 2016
Sep 3 vs Kentucky W 44 - 35
Sep 10 vs Savannah St. W 56 - 0
Sep 17 vs Troy L 37 - 31
Sep 24 @ UTEP W 34 - 7
Oct 1 vs Rice W 44 - 28
Oct 8 @ UTSA L 55 - 32
Oct 15 @ LSU L 45 - 10
Oct 29 vs Marshall W 24 - 14
Nov 5 vs Charlotte L 38 - 27
Nov 12 @ Old Dominion L 51 - 35
Nov 19 @ North Texas L 29 - 23
Nov 25 vs Louisiana Tech 3:00 PM

I think Hop could use some tips in interacting with his players... Watch their limited interaction on the sidelines. Also, what kind of coach walks into a locker room after a loss last Sat and says nothing to his players??
First time I have heard that. If true that is bad. He does not live in a bubble so he knows things are really bad. The team never got better as the year went on they just regressed. He knows something is wrong but I am guessing he does not think it is his staff. That leaves bad luck and or the players.

Hopson has zero fire. It's almost like he's smoked some medical mary jane every time he talks. Remember how fired up Fedora would get......hell that fired up the players, made them want to run through a brick wall. Not sure what the answer is......but apparently this coaching staff wasn't it.

Watched the press conference, sad Hop looked like a beaten man. I did not understand the hire in the first place. Could not see how his selection was an investment in the teams future. I met him when he came to Madison/Huntsville and found him to be a likable honest guy. He is very different from LF and TM. What is really pisses me off is that BM seems to have gone underground. This was his hire and is his mess he needs man up come out of his hole and make some attempt to rally the troops

Reactions: Karen85
Watched the press conference, sad Hop looked like a beaten man. I did not understand the hire in the first place. Could not see how his selection was an investment in the teams future. I met him when he came to Madison/Huntsville and found him to be a likable honest guy. He is very different from LF and TM. What is really pisses me off is that BM seems to have gone underground. This was his hire and is his mess he needs man up come out of his hole and make some attempt to rally the troops

His hire makes sense if you look at it through 1989-2009 black and gold glasses. Hire a guy who will coach on the cheap, will not leave, and is a good guy. Unfortunately, those days are long gone.

Honestly, mid-major college football has passed Southern Miss by. We are so far behind the 8 ball in recruiting, facilities, and fans that can't get past Bower ball, we may never catch up. The mid to late 90's saw us as ESPN'S darling. We were poised to make the leap that Boise ended up making, but, were hamstrung with people in leadership and influential boosters who could not think outside of the box, couldn't and wouldn't capitalize on the ESPN love affair with us and were hell bent on staying little ole poor Mississippi Southern. It has been a steady decline since. I'm sorry, when we cannot win this piss poor conference every 2-4 years, something is very, very wrong.

Frankly, the no money bs has worn thin. The have to have a guy who stays for decades has been worn out. The lost decade comes down to 2 things. 1. Not making an all out, end all/be all effort to get the hell out of CUSA and 2. Not hiring Blake Anderson when Fedora left. Anderson was the players choice, would have been a smooth transition, and he would still be here.

Even when I went to school in the 80s we were a stepping stool for coaches. That was true then it is true now. Our fan attendance for a group of 5 teams when we field a good product is at least upper 65 percent maybe better. Yes we should have hired another LF or TM but the did not. So what do they do now? Option 1 fire Hop and start over. Many will say yes but there is a price to be paid. Option 2 stand pat..... Noooooooo! Option 3 go find Cooirdinortirs that are no ready to be a HC but are on the path to be the next LF/TM. How do you find those guys. They are like Fox New Chics. The look really hot and when they talk you say yea what she said. Sorry not politically correct (if you have to modify the word correct with politically you statement is wrong) but no geckie coaches. Sorry TP and at least one other on the staff but if nerd is the first thing I thing when I see and hear you talk (yes it is one data point) then recruits will think so too. That is harsh but Hop has some very good strengths but he needs a Jerry to his Dean (showing my age) Bottom line I was not a Hop fan but he is my coach now and I just want to win. There were roster big holes and moving Move Will, a Bigger guy to offense made a size problem worse. Add a no D1 middle linebacker to that mix And you end up right where we are. CJ is at least 50% of our defenses problems with TP being 25% and size being % (JMO). Gary's solution keep Hop OC USM hold overs and The SWAC D lime coach. Upgrade the others.

Last edited:
Looks like Eloss had a tougher schedule, which brings Hopson into comparability.

Eloss never won a game here much less beating an SEC team that is going to a bowl. Hell ELOSS had a losing record at every head coaching job he held from Gardner Webb, the Citadel, and Southern Miss. I agree Hop ain't Larry Fedora or Todd Monken but he damn sure ain't ELOSS. I'm also just as disappointed as all of you on this season.

His hire makes sense if you look at it through 1989-2009 black and gold glasses. Hire a guy who will coach on the cheap, will not leave, and is a good guy. Unfortunately, those days are long gone.

Honestly, mid-major college football has passed Southern Miss by. We are so far behind the 8 ball in recruiting, facilities, and fans that can't get past Bower ball, we may never catch up. The mid to late 90's saw us as ESPN'S darling. We were poised to make the leap that Boise ended up making, but, were hamstrung with people in leadership and influential boosters who could not think outside of the box, couldn't and wouldn't capitalize on the ESPN love affair with us and were hell bent on staying little ole poor Mississippi Southern. It has been a steady decline since. I'm sorry, when we cannot win this piss poor conference every 2-4 years, something is very, very wrong.

Frankly, the no money bs has worn thin. The have to have a guy who stays for decades has been worn out. The lost decade comes down to 2 things. 1. Not making an all out, end all/be all effort to get the hell out of CUSA and 2. Not hiring Blake Anderson when Fedora left. Anderson was the players choice, would have been a smooth transition, and he would still be here.

Agreed

What good coach could we have gotten for 500k a year? You get what you pay for. I am sure there is someone out there, but it would have been a risk either way.

Tipically when Government agencies to include State sign a contract the must have funding to cover the obligation. They may not obligate the entire sum but they are committed to meet the contract funding requirements. In other words the had to have line of site funding the performance bonuses in Hop's contract. He got an extra $15 for beating an SEC team. Money wise with Bonuses his contract ties up $800 k a year. So the could have hire a guy fo $800k

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT