ADVERTISEMENT

If you ever consider going indy for USM

Houston Eagle

BGN Pro Poster
Aug 11, 2005
Look at NMSU and what they have and will face. Their membership with the SBC was not renewed. Their coach pulled off a minor miracle and received a three year extension without a raise maintaining it at $364,000 and change. How could they ever join another conference if their schedule is complete? I don't know if any of you saw the Arizona Bowl but 40,000 strong mostly NMSU fans showed up. Just some random thoughts about how our school can approach conferences and improving our own situation. In the end, winning does cure a lot.

I didn’t know that about NMSU. I’ve wondered about USM going Indy. The potential for USM is great in my book I think CUSA holds us back.

Reactions: sburg
USM needs vocal and active leadership as well as a supportive fanbase. One of the reasons ECU moved on is because they can fill up a 50k plus stadium. USM needs to win their way out of this conference.

Reactions: SethManKA1
USM needs vocal and active leadership as well as a supportive fanbase. One of the reasons ECU moved on is because they can fill up a 50k plus stadium. USM needs to win their way out of this conference.
The state of Mississippi does not let colleges contribute to their athletic department .All funds must be generated in house .So until USm increases donations to the Eagle Club we will be behind the eight ball .

I didn't know that. NMSU was having to buy tickets to meet NCAA ticket sale requirements or something to that effect. Their president even said that they would have to turn down a bowl if it was not cost effective. Fortunately for them, they ended up in Arizona with 40 k bowl attendance and a come from behind OT victory.

I never quite realized how costly college athletics could be especially without winning and a good fanbase.

The Sun Belt Conference kicked New Mexico State out as a football-only member? Wasn't that one of their better football programs? Wow, that would be like C-USA kicking Charlotte out of the conference at a time when it desperately needed at least somewhat decent basketball programs to maintain a respectable profile, just because Charlotte didn't offer football, only to later welcome them back once they did offer foot — oh wait ....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT