ADVERTISEMENT

How I Would Try And Fix CUSA

Heath Hinton

Jun 15, 2017
Here is a free read everyone. Hope you enjoy it.

A great deal has been made lately about the financial situation and overall competition level of CUSA. I have heard and read many opinions of what needs to be done. Most, if not all, have CUSA cutting schools and shrinking the footprint of the conference to help with overall travel expenses for the conference and each university. While that may help somewhat at first, I don't think it will help in the long run and will really do nothing to help with the competition level in CUSA. I've thought of a different formula.

READ MORE

I know the question is about fixing CUSA. Not sure it can be done so no opinion on how to do it.

As a fan I long for the years we were aligned with ECU, Tulane, Memphis, and Houston. And hate to say it but with USF and UCF. Nothing short of becoming part of that mix again does anything for me. Again I offer no answers on how to make this happen.

Both scenarios will take money. It will take lots of it.

What the university can do on its end is make it clear that CUSA is not its final destination. Be vocal and make it known through the media. Communicate projects and campaigns for improvement. The effort must begin then be followed up with fundraising action. Get as many businesses involved where both parties benefit. It took me many years to learn that institutions of higher learning cannot and should exist and grow simply from tax payers dollars. When I was in school at USM, I vividly remember students wanting to protest budget cuts to the university. These students operated under the premiss that without government money, the university would be financially doomed. My thinking is why does the university have to depend on only government money? Partner with businesses. Improve and promote relations with alumni. It all starts with thinking big, such as the $100,000,000 capital campaign 20 years ago. Start with Reed Green and how it is not only unacceptable, but also follow through with action to effectively communicate a dire need to improve. Start promoting athletic events more starting with students on campus. Fedora did this quite effectively, and even the snake oil salesman basketball coach.

I have been following USM for 25 years, and I have rarely seen a full marketing push for capital improvements. If East Carolina can do it, then so can USM.

Reactions: JonesCountyEagle
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT