ADVERTISEMENT

Elite Camp Notebook - 7/19

lanny mixon

Oct 28, 2002
Today the Southern Miss football program hosted their final Elite Camp of the Summer. The event was well attended with more than 250 prospects from as far away as Colorado and North Carolina.

With so many prospects and only set of eyes I know there is a lot that I missed but here's a few highlights comments on prospects that really stood out.

I started the day following defensive backs and two guys that really stood out to me were Clinton's Lamarques Thomas and West Marion's Josh Miller. Neither of the guys showed outstanding top-end speed both running in the low 4.7's but they were so athletic.

I then transitioned to the linebackers and honestly it was not a strong group. I didn't see a '16 guy that I thought was FBS. There were a couple of younger guys that I liked. The best of the group in my eyes was '18 prospect Joshua Marsh from Decatur (AL) HS. At 6-foot-1, 200 he has a great frame and can see him packing on at least 20 by his senior year and he could grow taller. Justin Richard (Jalen's brother) had a nice showing but he's short maybe 5-foot-8.

The OL group was pretty solid but not spectacular. In my eyes, Jacob Johnson from Spanish Fort (AL) was clearly the best of the bunch. He was very athletic and moved very well for a 6-foot-7, 307-pounder. Tyler Harris a project OL from Madison-Ridgeland (MS) Academy came in at 6-foot-6, 347-pounds. He's carrying some bad weight but if he can get it off and play at around 320 he could be a solid FBS prospect. I also liked a C from Mosley (Panama City) named Nicholas Gentili.

The biggest eye-opener for me was a rising sophomore named Ethan Watson from Pensacola (FL) Catholic. He measured 6-foot-4, 280-pounds and had next to no bad weight and competed very well with defensive linemen two years his elder. Another under classman I liked was rising junior Carson Hancock from North Pontotoc (MS).

There was some good depth on the DL but not stars. A couple of kids that I was pretty impressed with included Demarrio Smith from Canton (MS) High. Really liked '17 DT Caleb Sampson from Northlake (Lou.) Christian.

The running back that stood out to me was Reginald Hunter ('17) from Pascagoula.

It was very difficult to evaluate WR today because the QB's as a whole were pretty weak. They had some guys that were pretty good but overall it was a very weak QB group.

Juwan Dickey was in attendance and looked good. Four-star ATH Kameron White ('17) from Clinton HS also had a great camp and was one of the top WR there. He earned a Southern Miss offer for his efforts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News