ADVERTISEMENT

Does this make sense?

Mao Tse-gore

Key Reserve
Nov 20, 2002
Our baseball coach makes only around $4k more than women's basketball coach.

Based on revenue & attendance I don't think so.

Do you expect the university to pay them any more or less than the contracts the coaches signed?
Good point. When were the contracts signed? Another key thing to consider is market dynamics. What does the market allow? What does it take financially to get a quality baseball coach vs a quality women's basketball coach? Only being 4K apart seems to be a non issue to me.

Throwing same money at women's basketball makes zero sense, especially when your athletic budget is in the hole.

Well there is Title IX and socially we accept woman should be paid the same as their male counter parts. Trouble is it is hard to determine what is a male counterpart. If it were HC her salary should equal Hop's. That would kill college sports so that is not right. Schools could not even afford to pay the WBB the same as the MBB coach. Oh the Economic injustice! In the end it should come down to value =cost. That would be the market answer but her jobs falls under academia which means there will be no logical reason behind it or real world application to market reality. Except in a case where they (academia) cave to the almighty $ (football). On the other hand I met her on thier city tour last year and came away impressed. She played for USM so she is family; Can't be D1 without her sport; I made what she make when I was in my 30s; when she does good it is good for the school so pay her. In reality she may be a better coach in her sport than Berry is in his sport. That is a relatively statement so it does not mean he sux.

Well there is Title IX and socially we accept woman should be paid the same as their male counter parts. Trouble is it is hard to determine what is a male counterpart. If it were HC her salary should equal Hop's. That would kill college sports so that is not right. Schools could not even afford to pay the WBB the same as the MBB coach. Oh the Economic injustice! In the end it should come down to value =cost. That would be the market answer but her jobs falls under academia which means there will be no logical reason behind it or real world application to market reality. Except in a case where they (academia) cave to the almighty $ (football). On the other hand I met her on thier city tour last year and came away impressed. She played for USM so she is family; Can't be D1 without her sport; I made what she make when I was in my 30s; when she does good it is good for the school so pay her. In reality she may be a better coach in her sport than Berry is in his sport. That is a relatively statement so it does not mean he sux.
It's two different jobs. Personally I think it is hard to compare the two. Just my thoughts.

... In the end it should come down to value =cost. That would be the market answer...
... but her jobs falls under academia ...
...which means there will be no logical reason behind it or real world application to market reality. ...

I disagree with each of these three key points in your message from above.

Look at them as investments. There is a return with baseball. Best case scenario would not yield any with the other, so why throw resources away?

Title IX says you have to. At least have the sport. I guess you could pay the head coach less but the market sets the salary range for the head coach. Basketball or softball would be the capstone chic sport (use of women again in the same para would be redundant). Most of the sports are lost leaders. Not sure even baseball covers its cost. But you have to have the other sports to include ladies (not redundant) sports to have a D1 football program.

Title IX says you have to. At least have the sport. I guess you could pay the head coach less but the market sets the salary range for the head coach. Basketball or softball would be the capstone chic sport (use of women again in the same para would be redundant). Most of the sports are lost leaders. Not sure even baseball covers its cost. But you have to have the other sports to include ladies (not redundant) sports to have a D1 football program.

There also appears to be a law requiring school to report salaries see link. http://www.shfwire.com/college-coaching-women-still-make-pennies-dollar/

Coaches' salaries on supply and demand. The more successful a coach gets the demand for his or her goes up. The demand for their services goes down. All coaches, like everyone else, have to honor contracts signed. What is the status of USM softball?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT