ADVERTISEMENT

Big XII expansion...

Houston Eagle

BGN Pro Poster
Aug 11, 2005
It is going to happen as soon as next year(there was a radio report on KTRH 740). They may take up to 4 teams. Even of UH, Cinci, and Memphis leave that still beats the heck out of Conference DOA. Fire away!

All things change but it was said that if one AAC team was taken the AAC would back fill, if two teams were taken they would stand pat. Wonder if that is stil true. If they lose three iwould they take they just take one? Houston BYU seem to be at the top of the heat. Cinn seems to be third, I think Colorado St would be in the top four. That would mean the AAC loses 1 or 2. Because of their market I worry about ODU. If one is taken we might not make the cut. I think Marshsll and USM are toss ups but I hear the is bad blood between The FL teams and USM. Not sure what the story behind that is. Also not sure how USM matches up with Matshsll on the education side. The President vote so that matters.

All things change but it was said that if one AAC team was taken the AAC would back fill, if two teams were taken they would stand pat. Wonder if that is stil true. If they lose three iwould they take they just take one? Houston BYU seem to be at the top of the heat. Cinn seems to be third, I think Colorado St would be in the top four. That would mean the AAC loses 1 or 2. Because of their market I worry about ODU. If one is taken we might not make the cut. I think Marshsll and USM are toss ups but I hear the is bad blood between The FL teams and USM. Not sure what the story behind that is. Also not sure how USM matches up with Matshsll on the education side. The President vote so that matters.
I too believe that the key is for one AAC team to go. Looks like Houston has the most votes right now. Don't think ODU will be a factor because of their small stadium and a lack of commitment to expanding it. I was really shocked they didn't expand that because they have the support to fill a larger one. One issue is that this may take awhile since the AAC requires 27 months notice to leave. During that time we need to be doing our part to establish greatness. As fans we have a part in that too. As Coach Hopson said, the most important thing we can do is to show up for the games. See you at the Rock for the first one. SMTTT

"Still, there are procedural and logistical things that could get in the way of a quick resolution. Per SB Nation, the AAC has a $10 million exit fee – and that’s when a school provides 27 months’ notice. Joining the Big 12 in time for the 2017 campaign clearly wouldn’t fit under that timeline, so a different (read: pricier) exit fee would have to be negotiated." wow 10 mil plus.

"

Per the conference’s bylaws, a school like Boise State or Colorado State can resign effective June 30 of each year, but must announce it “on or before” the previous June 30. For a program to resign in time to join the Big 12 for 2017-2018, it would need to notify the MWC by June 30, 2016 … which would be impossible, since it’s currently July.

So joining the Big 12 in 2017-2018 would mean penalties. Per MWC bylaws, that school would forfeit its final year of conference revenue and pay the MWC either $5 million dollars or double the amount of the final year’s revenue, whichever is greater."

My gues is the big 12 takes 4 BYU CSU UH and Cinn. ACC loses 2 which is not good for us if they stay pat at 10

Well, they may stay at 10 for 2 years and then will have to expand to either 12 or 14. AAC. Will be known as c-usa 2.0

As Coach Hopson said, the most important thing we can do is to show up for the games.

Translation: Keep buying our crap, sit down and shut up, and leave it to our crack athletic department and University leadership to build on their exemplary track record and land us an invite?o_O

Mao, you have the most delicate way of putting things !!! But, yes, you are correct, sir.

=PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPppp

images+(3).jpg1.jpg

The most frustrating part of realignment is all of the cloak and dagger secret meetings that happen, then when it finally does occur the conferences acted like they weren't doing anything.

Less than 6 months ago I had heard through a reliable source that USM would definitely be moving to the AAC. Now I'm beginning to feel a bit less certain. I think our athletic dept has done a damn good job considering the messes created by Ellis and Tyndall. Sadler is a stable leader who can bring the ball team to respectability and Hopson seems like a coach that will stick around for awhile if he wins. I'm over the revolving door of coaches since Bower. That being said we need to get in the AAC cause CUSA and Sunbelt comparisons are beginning to sound legit. Can't watch to see USM on ESPNU in a few Saturday's. I think it will be a huge showcase for our program. SMTTT

The big cable networks were fools to offer such long term contracts. Cable television is going the way of the dinosaur. There are so many ways to access games other than cable that the old excuse of tv audiences doesn't hold anymore. I was joking with my children earlier that you could jump on the internet to find out who won whatever event before it was broadcast on TV.

Here in Houston, I have seriously thought of cutting the cord as rabbit ears still picks up over 50 stations. This past year, the American Sports Network even broadcast the Rice USM slaughter on one of the rabbit ears channels.

The big cable networks were fools to offer such long term contracts. Cable television is going the way of the dinosaur. There are so many ways to access games other than cable that the old excuse of tv audiences doesn't hold anymore. I was joking with my children earlier that you could jump on the internet to find out who won whatever event before it was broadcast on TV.

Here in Houston, I have seriously thought of cutting the cord as rabbit ears still picks up over 50 stations. This past year, the American Sports Network even broadcast the Rice USM slaughter on one of the rabbit ears channels.
I cut the chord 2 seasons ago. Look at Playstation vue and get a Channel Master.

I believe USM brings a certain interest that many teams do not. In other words football fans like to see USM play. I was at the Heart of Dallas Bowl last year and we seemed to have just as many fans at the game as UW did.
I think AAC opponents would bring an increase in attendance Old rivals such as Memphis, Tulane and ECU would far out draw the CUSA teams. Here is hope that we at least get an opportunity to prove ourselves worthy

Reactions: Goldenfeen87
I just cut the cord and went with VUE TV and Roku to watch it on. Glad I did. As to the expansion, I feel cautiously optimistic. It looks like a two team expansion for the Big12, which is best for us getting in the AAC. We just need to do our part as fans and first of go to the games, then second of all join the Eagle club. See you at the Rock. SMTTT.

Strength in numbers. Big 12 needs BYU's national following, Houston is one of the top "Other Five's" teams and have been for years. UH would have made the Big Twelve if Gov. Ann Richardson had not been a Baylor graduate. Memphis opens a gateway to AR, LA, KY. TN and AL. Cinci is in Big Ten Country and is second to Ohio State in support. Cinci. was very competitive with OSU in the last two fb games. All four have had much success in basketball as well. Bottom line is Big 12 is fighting for survival. Should this come to pass the AAC would be fighting also. USM is a recognized and respected football. Should we join the AAC the Rock will be expanded soon. SMTTT.

I doubt the Rock would need any expansion. we've played all the AAC schools before, the Rock didn't need expanding. We've played Texas A&M, Miss St., Nebraska, etc at home, the Rock didn't need expanding.

When State and that school up north announced expansion many criticize them saying it was not needed. I have read that BYU's gay policy has cost them most of their support. That puts UConn into a better position. This could result in the AAC losing Houston, Cinnci. Memphis and UConn. Given that scenario I see the AAC adding Army [national following], UMass {big metro area] Marshall and and USM [proximity and good football reputations]. True we went from 12-2 to 0-12 but we also went from 3-9 to 9-3. This may come to nothing but at least it is interesting. This year's record should be good and perhaps we will get a shot at a Big Ten in the Heart of Dallas Bowl. As for me I would rather play a tight game and lose to a BCS team than beat the crap out of a Group of five team. Well I would otmind kicking Boise States butt.

I think if they expand with the tv push back it will be 2. BYU or CSU I think BYU and Huston or Cinn I think Huston.

I think if they expand with the tv push back it will be 2. BYU or CSU I think BYU and Huston or Cinn I think Huston.
I also think it will be two. BYU, and Houston or Cinn. If two, then I think we get in the AAC. I think it's ironic that the same schools that we are now so hot to play against in the AAC are the ones our fans used to complain about and say no one cared about them when they were in our conference. Still, because of the loss of TV revenue I hope it works out that we can make the move.

Reactions: shortbob
I also think it will be two. BYU, and Houston or Cinn. If two, then I think we get in the AAC. I think it's ironic that the same schools that we are now so hot to play against in the AAC are the ones our fans used to complain about and say no one cared about them when they were in our conference. Still, because of the loss of TV revenue I hope it works out that we can make the move.

The population continues upwards for south MS. We seem to have a large fan vase in surrounding areas such as New Orleans, Mobile and NW FL. Our old rivals and the remainder of the AAC at least gives some name recognition. I think Navy and the other northern members of the AAC will draw more than UTSA, UNT or MTSU. UCF and USF are developing rivalries. USM was one of the leader in home attendance last year and the Heart of Dallas Bowl selected us over the conf champs because we draw people to bowl games. Hopefully We can be either 11-1 or 10-2, win the title game and play a Big Ten team in Dallas. That would look good on our resume. 12-2 or 13-1 with our national recognition would be hard to be overlook.

"Bad Blood" between UCF/USF. This started because the FL schools thought they would rollover us and that did not happen. The last game at home with USFthere were several personal files against USF. Then there was a cat fight online between us and them. I read on this site that former CUSA members support us. Also when the AAC last expanded some of the former CUSA members were new to AAC and didnot have voting rights. Uf they had we would have been invited. Entrance/exit fees? Call Nebraska and play there and get the big paycheck like we did last time.

"Bad Blood" between UCF/USF. This started because the FL schools thought they would rollover us and that did not happen. The last game at home with USFthere were several personal files against USF. Then there was a cat fight online between us and them. I read on this site that former CUSA members support us. Also when the AAC last expanded some of the former CUSA members were new to AAC and didnot have voting rights. Uf they had we would have been invited. Entrance/exit fees? Call Nebraska and play there and get the big paycheck like we did last time.
I read somewhere that charter CUSA members only pay $500, 000 exit fee. I cannot confirm this.

Its true that nobody cared to play those schools. Including me. Its just that in no ones wildest dreams (esp back in 1998) would anyone imagine we would be now playing charlotte , old dominion, north texas state, fiu, fau, etc. Perhaps we still dont care a ton about playing the aac schools, but we care much less about playing the current group of clown schools we are stuck with. Id cherish games with memphis, ecu, etc. at this point, after being stuck wuth the current cusa group. Sure hope we get in the aac somehow.

Strength in numbers. Big 12 needs BYU's national following, Houston is one of the top "Other Five's" teams and have been for years. UH would have made the Big Twelve if Gov. Ann Richardson had not been a Baylor graduate. Memphis opens a gateway to AR, LA, KY. TN and AL. Cinci is in Big Ten Country and is second to Ohio State in support. Cinci. was very competitive with OSU in the last two fb games. All four have had much success in basketball as well. Bottom line is Big 12 is fighting for survival. Should this come to pass the AAC would be fighting also. USM is a recognized and respected football. Should we join the AAC the Rock will be expanded soon. SMTTT.

Short Bob, I agree strength is in numbers and Southern Miss has always been respected. The problem USM has fans all over the United States , as you have stated. We have been playing football / and other sports over 100 years now. Yet, we still have less than 4K people in the eagle club. We have thousands of fans around the world , and the fact that are donors are so low in numbers is one of the main reasons we are where we are. Every school that has been named in this round of expansion has a fan base that steps up and given. We talk about ECU and Houstons unorthodox way of doing things... But they are bringing in money.. We need our fan base to do the same and stop depending on the few doctors and pro players we do have to bail us out.

On the flip side, the vision of what's going on with the money has to be/ remain clear. Having a administration that is visually productive could / would work wonders. Not saying BM needs to provide a written report every penny, but an update of short term and long term goals would be nice to come out in an eagle club news letter regard of how much you give.

Reactions: Eagletats
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT