ADVERTISEMENT

baseball

• Thread starter nashvillegoldenflash
  • Start date
N

nashvillegoldenflash

The MAC

With this weekend wins over BCS schools, the MAC is looking better each week. If this keeps up, the MAC could soon surpass the Mountain West Conference (see link).

Central Michigan 32, Iowa 31

Western Michigan 30, UConn 24

Northern Illinois 30, Kansas 23

Ball State 31, South Florida 27

NCAA Football - Conference Rankings (2012-20)

did anyone go to the scrimmage at the Pete yesterday? just wondering how the hitting looked. it would be great to get back to a regional. it appeared on TV that not many people were in attendance.

Re: The MAC

Another great post by NGF. Thanks for the great info.

I guess you'd say the offense looked good, because both starting pitchers were knocked around. Think it was 7-4 after a couple of innings when we went to the bullpen.

Hitting usually has the edge in scrimmages.

Maybe it's the other way around.

Either way, I'm pretty sure we will suck at both this year.

Hope the new weight room helps...oh how far the baseball facilities how come...I asked a former baseball player if they had a clubhouse and he said he did...in his dorm room:)

MAC still felling tall timbers in big conferences

Written by Rusty Miller
Associated Press

Dan Enos lettered four years and started two at quarterback for Michigan State. So he's got an idea of what it means for a team from a mid-major conference to knock off somebody from the power conferences.

"I've coached in the Big Ten. I've played in the Big Ten," said Enos, now in his third year as the head coach at Central Michigan, a Mid-American Conference member. "And when you understand the resources that those (bigger) schools have and the amount of money that they have and the facilities and the recruiting aspect, yeah, it is a big deal."

There have been plenty of "big deals" around the MAC these days. So many, in fact, that it might be hard in the future for the league's schools to get games against the powers that be in college football.

Just last weekend, MAC teams knocked off four schools from Bowl Championship Series automatic-qualifier conferences. Enos' Chippewas won at Iowa of the Big Ten, 32-31, on a last-second field goal. Northern Illinois knocked off the Big 12's Kansas and coach Charlie Weis, 30-23. Ball State, which a week earlier had won at Indiana of the Big Ten, hosted South Florida of the Big East and won, 31-27. And the Big East's Connecticut lost to Western Michigan, 31-24 (see link for full article).

MAC still felling tall timbers in big conferences

All games on Saturday, September 29

12:00 Ball State at Kent MAC GOTW, ESPN gameplan/ESPN+,ESPN3

12:00 UB at UConn ESPN3

2:00 Miami at Akron ESPN3

3:30 CMU at NIU ESPN3

3:30 OU at UMass ESPN3

3:30 Rhode Island at BG ESPN3/BCSN

7:00 Toledo at WM ESPN3

Ohio University is getting more national attention (see link). The Bobcats last game of the regular season could have a lot riding on it.

solichs-school-for-boise.jpg

Frank Solich’s Ohio Team is Poised to Bust the BCS

Roethlisberger said he's excited for Miami University quarterback Zac Dysert, who is 584 yards from breaking his own school passing record. "I'm happy for him," Roethlsiberger said. "Records are meant to be broken. I think that's great. I'm excited for him to get that (see link).

Ben Roethlisberger

Ohio University is still unbeaten but the Bobcats have let a lot of weaker teams hang around. I realize that OU's secondary is really banged up and the Bobcats have had to go with their 3rd and 4th strings in secondary positions, but unless Ohio improves on defense, I just don't see how the Bobcats go undefeated with Bowling Green, Ball State, and Kent State still on their schedule (see link). Thoughts?

Ohio 2012

Here is a current look at the MAC (see link). Below is the report on the Flashes.

Kent St.

INSIDE SLANT

Flashes continue to roll up wins

The Ken State Golden Flashes continue to roll both in and outside of the Mid-American Conference.

A 31-17 win over Army moved the Flashes to 5-1 for the first time since 1973 and only the third time since 1940. Kent State, which has won four straight, is 3-0 in the league and tied with Ohio for first place in the East Division. The Flashes return to league play when they host Western Michigan on Saturday.

Coach Darrell Hazell has a simple explanation for his team's success.

"It's all about preparation," he said. "Our guys have done an unbelievable job coming to work every single day and being mature about it and understanding that the only way to get that next win is by preparing. I think the message is getting across, and we'll go back to work."

Hazell called Kent State's most recent victory "the best of the season so far." The Flashes, paced by running back Dri Archer, had another big day offensively. Archer continued his outstanding season with 222 yards rushing on only 12 carries. The junior's 87-yard touchdown run put the game away early in the fourth quarter.

"Dri is just a special player," Hazell told KentStateSports.com. "Every time you hand him the ball, you expect him to go all the way ... Even when a play isn't blocked so well."

Kent State held the nation's No. 1 rushing offense in check for three quarters. Army rushed for 325 yards, but the defense was in control for most of the game. The Flashes took a 24-3 lead into the fourth quarter before allowing two touchdowns. Nearly half of Army's rushing total came in the final period.

"To come on the road and be able to slow down that offense, which worried me all week long because they were so efficient," Hazell said. "I thought our defense did a phenomenal job, stuffed them the first half."

NOTES, QUOTES

WHAT'S AHEAD: Kent State returns home Saturday, but a matchup against Western Michigan won't be easy. The Broncos are 3-4, but have a high-powered offense that can put a lot of points on the board. A win would give Kent State sole possession of first place in the Mid-American Conference East Division.

--Dri Archer's ability to run the ball has made headlines all season, but he showed off another talent with a 24-yard touchdown pass to quarterback Spencer Keith in the second quarter. The play began with Archer taking a handoff and sweeping toward the right side. He stopped and threw back to the left, where Keith caught the pass and outran a defender to the end zone.

"We saw on film that Army plays a whole lot of man defense and they don't typically account for the quarterback," coach Darrell Hazell told KentStateSports.com. "We expected Spencer to be wide open on that play, but the cornerback made a nice recovery. Dri had to throw a really good pass."

The play was the first pass of Archer's career and the first reception of Keith's career.

--The victory over Army was Kent State's first non-conference road win since the Flashes defeated Iowa State in 2007. Kent State has won three straight road games for the first time since 2006.

--Kent State has not been scored upon in the first quarter this season. The Flashes hold a 27-0 edge in the first period.

KEEP AN EYE ON: Kent State continues to excel when it comes to turnovers. The Golden Flashes are plus-10 in that department through six games. Kent State didn't commit a turnover against Army. Quarterback Spencer Keith completed only six passes but didn't throw an interception. Flashes linebacker Danny Gress recovered a fumble on a fourth down play that ended a drive.

LOOKING GOOD: Kicker Freddy Cortez hit his sixth straight field goal -- a 28-yarder in the third quarter -- against Army. The senior is 9-of-13 this season with a long field goal of 42 yards and hasn't missed since the Buffalo game on Sept. 19.

STILL NEEDS WORK: Kent State's third-down conversion percentage took a step back against Army. The Flashes were 1-of-9 on third downs and are 36-of-92 for the season.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "That was a big win for us. Huge. Number five." -- Kent State coach Darrell Hazell, after the 31-17 win over Army.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

PLAYER NOTES:

--WR Eric Adeyemi caught his first career touchdown pass, a 30-yarder from quarterback Spencer Keith in the first quarter. The gain was also the longest of his career.

--LB Luke Batton recorded a career-high 16 tackles against Army. The senior also had 13 solo stops, another career best.

--P Anthony Melchiori punted six times for a 44.8-yard average against Army. He had a career-high punt of 59 yards and also had a 52-yarder. Melchiori had three punts inside the 20-yard line.

ROSTER REPORT

--LB Andre Parker returned to action against Army after missing two games with a sprained ankle. He recorded four tackles.

--CB Norman Wolfe has missed the last four games because of a broken arm sustained against Kentucky.

--WR Tyshon Goode is expected to miss the rest of the season because of a hamstring injury. The senior has yet to play in 2012.

Around the Mid American Conference

Ohio loses at Miami 23-20!!! The Flashes are now in sole possession of first place in the MAC East.

As we explained on Saturday in a bit more detail, this is a very special season for the MAC. If you include Ohio's loss to rival Miami, then MAC teams have taken down three undefeated opponents in the last two weeks. The league is second among FBS conferences with six teams already bowl eligible. There might be no MAC teams left in the polls, but I'll take Toledo, Kent State or Northern Illinois over most of the Top 25 (see link).

MAC moves into Top 5

MAC ACTION!

Election night special!
Tuesday Ball State at #23 Toledo 8:00 ESPN2

Wednesday Bowling Green at Ohio 8:00 ESPN2

Ball State 52
Ohio 27

Final

Ball State extends its record to 8-3 and 5-2 in the MAC
Ohio now 8-3 and 4-3 in the MAC

Northern Illinois 31
Toledo 14

12:31 in the 4th quarter

Northern Illinois on its way to 10-1 and 7-0 in the MAC
Huskies looking very good tonight

This post was edited on 11/14 10:56 PM by nashvillegoldenflash

Northern Illinois wins 31-24 over Toledo to clinch its third straight MAC Championship appearance.

The MAC is proving football prowess is no longer reserved for big conferences (see link).

MAC football

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT