ADVERTISEMENT

Attendance,

Yes I was worried about Covid, two , three years of bad football would do to us. I thought pregame festivities and promotions in Hattiesburg were awesome. We just have got to start winning and attendance will improve. I bet Carmody is thinking wow they didn't like it when we threw the ball 20 times a game, its twice what these guys do

I could only see the east side, which was sparse, so 23,000 were on the west side. I don't think so.

Reactions: BirminghamEagle
Look, we have to be honest here. This country is in a recession. People do not gave the extra money to spend going to games. Calling people out, who are probably struggling, will not get those people in the gate. I understand his message, but it was a bad time to say it.

Look, we have to be honest here. This country is in a recession. People do not gave the extra money to spend going to games. Calling people out, who are probably struggling, will not get those people in the gate. I understand his message, but it was a bad time to say it.
Can’t bitch about lack of attendance when you don’t win games. He can complain about attendance when he strings together 3 wins and gets some momentum going.

I’ll go to a game when he finds a qb……fvck him

Is surely a though for some…as they watch the LSU Tigahs play tonight

• Haha
Reactions: MADISON EAGLE
We won our last three games and the new season with new players, and the betting line indicated the game would be close. There were 24,000 tickets sold, so it wasn't a question of money. The tickets were paid for already. It is great people bought tickets, so why would one not go to the game?

I know there is too much going on in Hattiesburg, so it is difficult to have a USM game standing in the way. Let's see. Oh, goose hunting season is here. There is a big sale at the mall. Ethel's wedding is Tuesday, and I need to buy a present. Ole Miss is playing on TV. I don't feel good.

There are 40,000 reasons hinterland folks don't go to the games. It has been that way for as long as I can remember. There have been only a few years with a large attendance. They missed a hell of a game, and our kids played their hearts out..

We won our last three games and the new season with new players, and the betting line indicated the game would be close. There were 24,000 tickets sold, so it wasn't a question of money. The tickets were paid for already. It is great people bought tickets, so why would one not go to the game?

I know there is too much going on in Hattiesburg, so it is difficult to have a USM game standing in the way. Let's see. Oh, goose hunting season is here. There is a big sale at the mall. Ethel's wedding is Tuesday, and I need to buy a present. Ole Miss is playing on TV. I don't feel good.

There are 40,000 reasons hinterland folks don't go to the games. It has been that way for as long as I can remember. There have been only a few years with a large attendance. They missed a hell of a game, and our kids played their hearts out..
That 24,000 number is misleading. They probably give out around 5 thousand tickets to companies who are sponsors and those are never all given out. They didn't sell 24,000 tickets, 24,000 tickets were out in the community for people to attend games. Heck some companies get 100 to 200 tickets every game.

Also only won last 2 games of the season. They beat Grambling early in 2021.

The way they do attendance is they add individual tickets sold on top of season tickets and comps given out. That is how they get to 24,000.

Last edited:
We were 0-0. Last year was last year. One would think folks would be interested to see if we improved, but I forgot it rained.

Reactions: Clawedballs
Running up the middle over and over and over sells lots of tickets.
You need to go back to telling us why we should all be showing up to basketball games, instead of bitching about why it’s ok for fans not to show up to first game of the season against a good opponent in the rock. For all you dove hunters and soccer moms you missed a great game, we are getting better!

East approx 6,000.
West approx 10,000.
End zone & suites approx 3,000.

Didn’t seem to effect app state and old dominion. Let the excuse making begin

Running up the middle over and over and over sells lots of tickets.
Every middle run you have to take a drink. That drives up beer sales, increasing revenue. Just a thought... Second thought...it's one thing to be loyal to the kids that you recruited hard. But at some point you just have to accept a player's limitations and try something different. Hugh Freeze made moves when a player wasn't getting results. Third try and he found a gamer. Hall keeps talking about these great wide receivers that can make plays when they get the ball in their hands. So we limit passing to them or doing jet sweeps to those guys? Maybe bubble screens? I know nothing, but I do see things. We have a big back they speak of, but run the small guy between the tackles on the goal line...like I say, I see things and don't like what I'm seeing. I'll be in Miami watching. Hope I see some improvements or my wife will want to go back to the beach at half time. But I may not be able to drive due to the up the middle runs. :):cool:

Last edited:
Every middle run you have to take a drink. That drives up beer sales, increasing revenue. Just a thought... Second thought...it's one thing to be loyal to the kids that you recruited hard. But at some point you just have to accept a players limitations and try something different. Hugh Freeze made moves when a player wasn't getting results. Third try and he found a gamer. Hall keeps talking about these great wide receivers that can make plays when they get the ball in their hands. So we limit passing to them or doing jet sweeps to those guys? Maybe bubble screens? I know nothing, but I do see things. We have a big back they speak of, but run the small guy between the tacked on the goal line...like I say, I see things and don't like what I'm seeing. I'll be in Miami watching. Hope I see some improvements or my wife will want to go back to the beach at half time. But I may not be able to drive due to the up the middle runs. :):cool:
The drinking game also includes defensive or special team timeouts….that guarantees you at least 3 shots per game

Reactions: wer4usm
Right now, I’m not as impressed with Will Hall as I thought I would be by now. His play-calling is very disappointing, his player utilization, and his overall game plan are leaving me in doubt as to his actual capability as a Div. 1 HC.

Otoh, Austin Armstrong has impressed me big time.

The defense played good the 1st quarter but letting the QBs run wild was most discouraging. Why didn't we assign Bozeman to spy? He didn't do anything anyway. A total collapse in the last 1:56.

So to summarize, low attendance for THIS game was due to the threat of rain, opening day of dove season, and the recession. Got it.

While we’re visiting this subject, let’s plan some excuses for future games. Let’s not have home games in September because it’s too damn hot. October? Maybe one game for homecoming and set aside the rest of the month for raking leaves in the yard. November? Opening of deer season, nobody on campus for Thanksgiving weekend, might as well play the rest of the games on the road somewhere, collect a bunch of checks.

So, 10 road games and homecoming. Is that doable for everyone? Or do we start winning games and pulling in enough fans to offset all the apathetic excuse makers? I’ll just hide and watch while everybody in the social media world figures it out.

So to summarize, low attendance for THIS game was due to the threat of rain, opening day of dove season, and the recession. Got it.

While we’re visiting this subject, let’s plan some excuses for future games. Let’s not have home games in September because it’s too damn hot. October? Maybe one game for homecoming and set aside the rest of the month for raking leaves in the yard. November? Opening of deer season, nobody on campus for Thanksgiving weekend, might as well play the rest of the games on the road somewhere, collect a bunch of checks.

So, 10 road games and homecoming. Is that doable for everyone? Or do we start winning games and pulling in enough fans to offset all the apathetic excuse makers? I’ll just hide and watch while everybody in the social media world figures it out.
I respect your sarcasm, it's well stated. But you act as if USM football is supposed to be a desirable commodity. Like I've said here 100 times in the past, South Mississippi does not give a rat's ass about Southern Miss. There's probably about 50,000 fans of our football program statewide, half of which never give a second thought to coming to Hattiesburg for a game. The other half are split 50-50 between diehards and fair-weather fans. If, IF, we ever get back to a semblance of a feared football program, we will start getting 25-30,000 on a regular basis. That appears a long way off right now. Plus, you have to consider, this may be as good as it gets...

Last edited:
Reactions: KTeagle
After coaching at Tulane you would think he would have thought that was a huge crowd. Also attendance everywhere besides SEC and Big10 schools is suffering in general. Saw where Maryland maybe had 10k at their opener.

The rain forecast all week discouraged a lot of folks to stay home.

After coaching at Tulane you would think he would have thought that was a huge crowd. Also attendance everywhere besides SEC and Big10 schools is suffering in general. Saw where Maryland maybe had 10k at their opener.
It has been down as a whole the past 5 seasons. There are so many variables as to why that is. The oversatuation of games on media. It is much cheaper and more convenient to pay 9.99 a month and watch games on TV/streaming. People are cutting cost in every way these days. For a family of 4 to attend a football game, that will cost at least 200 bucks a game and probably more if you have season tickets. I actually think attendance will improve with wins and this new conference. It didn't help that the weather forecast was wrong. Be glad USM is not UCLA, they are a P5 school and 5,000 people may have shown up.

Reactions: Clawedballs
Liberty was a good home opponent. There’s really no excuse for missing a 6 pm opening game for a fan. So if you weren’t there the bandwagon is coming. I don’t know why WH chose to run superback 2nd half but I know we were in the game and if not for the t/o’s we win going away. Those t/o’s are on WH to fix, and yea he was disappointed in the fans, I was too, we need more people in the stands. I can already tell you the opponent will be the excuse next home game. We are getting better as a team, as real fans, not so much

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT