ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Football Recruiting

EasyEagle

All American
Nov 1, 2002
So far the class looks ok. However, has anyone looked closely at our efforts in Louisiana and Alabama? We are getting beat by lots of other G5 teams and in Alabama in particular, we seem to be a non factor!

There are a lot of good uncommitted players (3 star) over there that don't even have us in their top 5, but have WKU, Navy, Tulane Georgia St, Arkansas St, Toledo, MTSU, Marshall, Liberty, App St, Bowling Green, Cincinnati, Jacksonville St, and of course UAB, Troy and S. Alabama! We are in on only 3 of the dozens of uncommitted players. That's not a good sign to me. We have historically recruited Alabama very well and can't afford to allow these other programs to beat us there. Clearly the Alabama schools will get there's bur we should be getting 4-5 good players a year from that state.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Our class is damn good! We have recruited better the last two years than in several years!

We're hitting South Florida harder than ever and have hit West Texas area with Scotty Walden as coach. We have three to four assistants with strong ties to Florida. Our latest Commit QB Jack Abraham of Oxford/Northwest CC was the 2015 MS Gatorade Player of the year!

Reactions: scotteagle
It seems like we are doing extremely well according to Scout and Rivals ratings. We have JUCO's filling immediate needs...QB, DL, and CB... and freshmen for down the road. The chief drawback that I noticed is we don't have 25 spots to offer.

Reactions: JonesCountyEagle
I have no problem with the class so far, but to call it damn good is quite laughable. We're ranked 85th at 247Sports...BEHIND the likes of Toledo (64), W. Michigan (67), WKU (69), N. Illinois (72) and Tulane (76).

We're only 4th in CUSA! So I don't think this class is great by any stretch. Our prime recruiting grounds are MS, AL and La along with west Florida. I'm glad to see us hitting Texas and Florida more, but we're slipping badly where we need to be grabbing 3-4 kids from AL and La every year.

When we move into the 60's in recruiting rankings, then I'll call it a damn good class. Until then, its just ok.

Last years class had the Alabama Gatorade player of the year in WR Jaylond Adams. This class this year has at least 10 3 star recruits. We're holding our own for non P5 schools.

Also...I wouldn't get too jacked up about the Abraham kid just yet. I have some friends in Oxford who's kid played with him. They said he is a great kid but nowhere near 6'1"! In fact they said he was closer to 5' 10". maybe 5' 11". I can't imagine him beating out Griggs or Rodriguez.

Last years class had the Alabama Gatorade player of the year in WR Jaylond Adams. This class this year has at least 10 3 star recruits. We're holding our own for non P5 schools.

At this point we're #21 in the Non P5 ranking according to 247Sports.

I've personally watched our two commits from Brookhaven High. The cornerback from Ole Brook is Dandy Dozen and had Offers from several SEC schools, PAC 12, and ACC. He's lights out at Cornerback. The center for Ole Brook is a the head coaches son and he was first team all state 5A and looks to similar to the DeAngelo kid we had a center several years ago.

Also...I wouldn't get too jacked up about the Abraham kid just yet. I have some friends in Oxford who's kid played with him. They said he is a great kid but nowhere near 6'1"! In fact they said he was closer to 5' 10". maybe 5' 11". I can't imagine him beating out Griggs or Rodriguez.

Mason Fine is only 5'11". Size doesn't matter as much in college.

Abraham threw about 12,000 plus yards with 130 TD's at Oxford High. Abraham has 57 TD passes with only 6 interceptions his senior year at Oxford. He had an offer from PAC 12 Cal out of high school.

Abraham threw about 12,000 plus yards with 130 TD's at Oxford High. Abraham has 57 TD passes with only 6 interceptions his senior year at Oxford. He had an offer from PAC 12 Cal out of high school.

So he chose La Tech over Cal....then went to JUCO?

Abraham was a long time Tulane Commit his senior season but Tulane head Coach Curtis Johnson was fired and Willie Fritz was hired and runs the triple option pistol type offense. Abraham decommited late in the recruiting process after this and Committed to LA Tech. Jay Hopson got hired at Southern Miss about 11 days before signing day and made a strong push to flip Jack Abraham from his late LA Tech commitment. Abraham redshirted at LA Tech and decided to transfer to Northwest CC. Abraham led Northwest CC to MS Juco state championship and lost to eventual Juco national champ East MS 67-66 and had 450 plus yards with 4td passes in that game. Abraham will have 3 more years eligibility.

Reactions: scotteagle
Guys, sorry but I don’t like referring to USM as a G5 school. USM is a great school. We are in the same division as all the other “P and G” schools. I know I know being weird, BUT I won’t accept that USM isn’t a school that deserves the best. Jeff Bower even corrected a news reporter when he called USM a mid-major he said, “we are a big school who can take on anybody.” TTT guys don’t get offended.

With that said, I hope we have a great recruiting class.

I don't like the P5/G5 monikers either. We are all D1 and there are a ton of P5 schools that perpetually stink at football.

That was one of the things Jeff Bower said that was on point!!!!! "to be big time, you have to believe you're big time" I think he said something like that regarding being a mid major.

Reactions: SethManKA1
I'm no fan of the G5/P5 stuff either, but sadly its a reality in 95% of the cases. Just look at the TV contracts, the recruiting, facilities, coaches salaries, the top 25 rankings, attendance figures, etc..etc...Sadly the gap has grown and continues to do so. No longer can we even compete with MSU and Ole Piss in football and basketball, much less the larger schools. I hate it! I fought it for years. I puffed out my chest and told anyone that would listen that Southern Miss could beat ANYONE,ANYTIME, ANYWHERE! But reality has finally found me. We are no P5. Not even close.

Back to the original post, as soon as the new QB Abraham and the new OT Tairek Johnson get 'star' level assessment we will go up in the rankings. The big tackle was a 6-4 245 defensive tackle/end coming out of high school and had some opportunities, bounced to JUCO and now to us. He is a good athlete by everything I can find out, now 290 or so. This class is shaping up nicely. Player for player we are as good as anyone at our 'level' (yuk) and better than most. The thing that hurts us this year is we have fewer openings, and we simply can't compete with SEC schools in our area. Abraham has sparkling credentials and we are lucky to have him. 5'11 is tall enough with his skill level.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT