ADVERTISEMENT

Taylor on Oil Spill - "It's Not Armageddon"

Finn_Finn

BGN Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2007
WTF?

wtf.JPG

Everyone needs to vote for Steven Pallazo and get Taylor out of office. He's a good guy and big Southern Miss supporter. He'll do great things for Mississippi in Washington.

Re: Taylor on Oil Spill - "It's Not Armageddon"

I'll vote for which ever candidate faces Taylor. But, having been at debates between Palazzo and Tegerdine, I have not been impressed with Palazzo.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Re: Taylor on Oil Spill -

Taylor is on his way out.

Vote for Joe Tegerdine. He's got much more on the ball than Palazzo, and if you hear him speak you'll agree. Great guy with a great family and background.

http://www.joetegerdine.com/

Cb
This post was edited on 5/1 7:59 PM by Clawedballs

“It’s more of a nuisance,” he said. “It does have a negative effect on wildlife, but it’s not toxic. We are told that most marine life naturally will swim away from it.”

Sounds a lot like Barbour

Taylor isnt going anywhere. He has done a lot for the gulf coast. I personally saw him right after the storm subsided going to launch his skif(spell) to help people after the storm. Ever since that moment i will continue to vote for him as long as he is running.

Taylor has been on the wrong side of to many issues lately. He will have very few conservative voters on his side. He's toast.

The man voted for nancy pelosi twice and votes with the democratic party more than 75 percent of the time. America is not sleeping at wheel anymore. He doesn't have a chance. Coast or not he still covers like 13 counties.

Well he is probably the only person left i would vote for. And if he is gone i say screw the rest of them. And he is right it isnt as bad as Katrina.

My favorite quote so far comes from the head of the Marine Resources Department:

"Leave it alone and let nature take its course."

Most of the oil is refined. If it was all krude it would be alot worse. I mean boats put out a lot of oil into the water, not that much but alot.

Originally posted by wpd066:
Most of the oil is refined. If it was all krude it would be alot worse. I mean boats put out a lot of oil into the water, not that much but alot.

That's not what I've heard anywhere. Everything I've read indicates it's either South Louisiana sweet crude, or a thicker, more viscuous type---or a mixture of both. But it's crude oil.

Yeah right.
laugh.gif

Cb

Originally posted by Clawedballs:

Yeah right.
laugh.gif

Cb

I mean, maybe they have a magic refinery down there or something.

It is crude oil. But Taylor is right, it's not the end of the world. The Valdez mess was cleaned up and now you would never know it occured. It will be messy for a while though. That doesn't mean I support Taylor just by agreeing with something he said.

Originally posted by Lamareagle2:
It is crude oil. But Taylor is right, it's not the end of the world. The Valdez mess was cleaned up and now you would never know it occured. It will be messy for a while though. That doesn't mean I support Taylor just by agreeing with something he said.

On the contrary, Lamar, the Prince William Sound area of Alaska is still experiencing residual effects from the Exxon Valdez spill. There is still subsurface oil residue, and there is a lingering impact on the wildlife of the area. The area may take 30 years to actually return to normal.

UNC Study

2007 Report

2009 Report
This post was edited on 5/2 12:46 AM by RaptorBpW

The delicate marshes of Louisiana and white sand beaches of the Gulf Coast cannot be cleaned up like the rocky coastline of Prince William Sound in Alaska. It will never be the same; that tarry crude could take hundreds of years to deteriorate. It will be very bad for a long time, and I have no idea what all those people in the Louisina marshes that depend on that whole eco-system/fishery are going to do.
Cb
This post was edited on 5/2 4:26 AM by Clawedballs

I highly doubt Taylor is going anywhere. He does what is best for MS, and holds key positions that an outsider coming in has no shot at. Not to mention that he is about as conservative as you will find in someone with a D next to their name. I am conservative myself, but Republicans aren't fooling anyone anymore either - social issues are the only places they have been conservative in many years. Simply replacing people by party affiliation won't get us anywhere - we will just spend money on different things.

No More Drilling..just too risky, technology to prevent this kind of thing is just not there for deep water wells. It would be a crime, in my book, to continue with this madness inface of the risk to our enviroment and the livelihoods of so many. We as individuals can take steps to help, easy to talk about, harder to take the first step. Ride a bike, take the bus, buy a car with better gas mileage, and countless other things to reduce our dependence on oil, foreign and domestic...Black/Gold

I hope you don't believe all of those liberal articles and liberal "throw away" science journals. If you do, however you probably believe Al Gore and his melting polar ice cap BS.

Originally posted by Lamareagle2:

While agree that is not the end of the world, The exxon spill still lingers in Alaska.

Still oil in Alaska

Originally posted by srvc:
I hope you don't believe all of those liberal articles and liberal "throw away" science journals. If you do, however you probably believe Al Gore and his melting polar ice cap BS.

and I hope you dont beleive everthing Rush Limbaugh says.

And I hope yall will join this group that someone in one of my online classes made. He's a fellow USM student who is trying to organize efforts of clean up

When I'm done with my finals, I'm going to head down there and at least try to do something.

And here's the message he posted in my environmental science class...

I am currently coordinating with the Mobile Bay National Estuary. I am trying gather all volunteers from Southern Miss, Tri-Beta, Hattiesburg and the surrounding areas. I would like to form a conjugated team to represent our area. Their are no skills required for these volunteer spots, however if you have previous experience in this kind of disaster, that is great too. The leaders of the tri-state area are meeting as we speak. This phase is called the mobilization phase. Within, the next few hours, I will have information on locations of proposed cleanup sites in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida.

Secondarily, a bottle of Dawn at the local Dollar General is only a dollar. I think it would be a good idea if those people who can't help with the hands-on effort to purchase a ribbon which will be being sold on campus for a dollar. Each ribbon purchased will go to fund a supply effort for our area. I will post more information on the ribbon idea later this weekend!

Anyone wanting to help in any manner, please feel free to contact me anytime day or night at 228-323-4356 or at matthew.seal@eagles.usm.edu. Thank you for your help! Stay green!

Help clean the coast, save a bird, clean crawfish!

Originally posted by Funkyfedoras:

Just what is it that Rush says that you think is untrue? One specific example will be fine.
Cb

I don't listen to Rush, so would not know if anything he says is true or false. I don't want to make any kind of political points out of this disaster, I just say stop the drilling, at least until the technology to stop such as this in deep water is available, and each of us should do all we can as individuals to reduce our dependence on oil, forgeign and domestic. The Gulf is far too important and dear to so many to let it become a Dead Sea, and that we can all agree with...Black/Gold

Steven Palazzo does not miss a USM home game. Sits on the same row that I do. He has my vote.

Palazzo may be a great supporter of our school in sports, but Joe Tegerdine is by far the better man to represent us in Congress.
Cb

Originally posted by Clawedballs:

Originally posted by Funkyfedoras:

Just what is it that Rush says that you think is untrue? One specific example will be fine.
Cb
My point is there are many scietific articles that are probably false, but we need not to discredit all of them, becuase some media figures say its wrong.

This is why I hate politics, the extreme right and left are both dangerous to the future of America. I hate the party system, its like gang warfare. Until we start voting for the person running instead of the party, we will always be in trouble.

I actually enjoy Rush, I think he is funny but he is an entertainer more than anything.

as for Rush being wrong here is one example for you.

LIMBAUGH: There aren't families living on the minimum wage anyway; it's a teenage entry level job for 75% of the people earning minimum wage.

The truth is that only 32 percent of minimum wage earners are teens ages 16 - 19, according to the Economic Policy Institute's analysis of 2000 U.S. Census Bureau data.

Right. So because they're still finding oil in the Prince William Sound area, and because it still hasn't returned to normal, and because you don't like those facts, you're gonna dismiss them as "liberal."

Real smart. Real mature.

You people and all your politics. It sickens me. On both "sides."

Here are more "liberal" facts that I'm sure somebody will dismiss because "I don't know what I'm talking about" when all I'm doing is presenting facts from other sources.

BP, the company that owned the Louisiana oil rig that exploded last week, spent years battling federal regulators over how many layers of safeguards would be needed to prevent a deepwater well from this type of accident.

One area of immediate concern, industry experts said, was the lack of a remote system that would have allowed workers to clamp shut Deepwater Horizon's wellhead so it would not continue to gush oil. The rig is now spilling 210,000 gallons of oil a day into the Gulf of Mexico.

In a letter sent last year to the Department of the Interior, BP objected to what it called "extensive, prescriptive regulations" proposed in new rules to toughen safety standards. "We believe industry's current safety and environmental statistics demonstrate that the voluntary programs…continue to be very successful."

But I'm sure that because this is ABC News reporting the words BP actually wrote that we should pretend BP never said this.

BP fought additional safety measures

Steven Palazzo was born and raised in South MS, is a USM graduate, and proudly served in the U.S. Marines. I want my Rep. to be a product of South MS. Joe might be a good man, but Steven has my vote.

I think Steven Palazzo is a great guy from what I've heard. I appreciate his loyalty to USM and honor his service to our country. But when you hear each man speak, it is an easy choice to make as far as who would be more capable of representing us in Washington and fighting the Pelosi/Reid Democrats, reducing taxes, and fighting big government spending.

These coming elections have got to be about who is the best man for the job, not whether he is a good ole boy from my neck 'o the woods.

I urge you to go to Joe Tegerdine's website and click on his town meeting speech. The more you learn about him, the more you will like him.
Cb

You know, I was not born in South Mississippi. So, after reading this post it makes me wonder if I am less of a South Mississippian than all you native born South Mississippians? Would I be less qualified to hold office or even report on South Mississippi's home team?

And, all along I thought I was juat as good as you native born South Mississippians...

It is just my personal opinion, but I want my state Rep. to actually be born and raised in the state that he/she represents.

I also like the fact Martha Saunders actually attended and graduated from USM. Does that make her a better president?

The main thing is we get that pelosi
supporting, big government democrat out of office.

Originally posted by dylan7:
The main thing is we get that pelosi supporting, big government democrat out of office.
Yeah, that was my thinking when I started this thread...very ignorant of Gene to say that IMHO...thread wasn't suppose to be about who to vote between Joe and Steve.
rolleyes.gif

On a related note, is NOBODY concerned that a man, Bill Walker, tasked with heading the Mississippi MARINE RESOURCES DEPARTMENT would say something like "let nature takes its course?"

How did this guy get that position?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT