ADVERTISEMENT

Ron Paul ad

slakfish

All Conference
Oct 10, 2005
i thought this was pretty cool,and posted it here where no one will see it rather than face the wrath of "but this is a sports board"

Big Dog

I do like some of his ideas like his budget cutting ones. However he loses me when it comes to foreign policy. His ideas are simplistic and will not work. He almost goes toward anarchy. The sad thing about about the conservative and libertarian vote is that it is usually split among several candidates and thus puts moderates in office.

Well, i've always thought that we should move back toward isolationist so he speaks to me in regards to foreign policy. His ideas may seem simplistic because they involve less rhetoric than what we are used to. The answer is less not more when it comes to government. We could privatize a bunch of stuff. Won't ever happen though.
i don't know where you are coming from with regards to anarchy. Unless you mean taking the gov't out of stuff.

I've seen him interviewed on a libertarian show and his answers did border on anarchy at times. I'm a big believer in less government, a lot less, and I like most of what he says. It's just that he wants just about no controls on anything. Just about anything goes as long as it's not criminal for him. Now I think the vast majority of regulations are counter productive and should be done away with, but we do need a few things regulated to some degree. About the only the he wants to put controls on is defense.

That said I'm with him about 80 or 90 percent of the way on the domestic side.
This post was edited on 12/13 9:24 PM by PIREagle

Originally posted by Eagleyed:
I do like some of his ideas like his budget cutting ones. However he loses me when it comes to foreign policy. His ideas are simplistic and will not work. He almost goes toward anarchy. The sad thing about about the conservative and libertarian vote is that it is usually split among several candidates and thus puts moderates in office.
His foreign policy is EXACTLY in line with what the Founding Fathers wanted. Namely, limit interaction with foreign countries to matters that involve the U.S. In other words, leave them to deal with their own internal concerns and keep our noses out of it. Our meddling in others countries' affairs over the last half century is what brought about terrorism.

My problems with Ron Paul:

1) He comes off as an absolute nut job in debates. He look like a mad scientist, and Obama would destroy him in debates.

2) The gold standard won't work. There simply isn't enough gold to back our currency. And what happens to everyone's money when we make the switch to a gold standard that is only worth a fraction of what's in circulation today? The gold standard would also turn recessions like the one Obama has created to turn into enormous depressions that would dwarf the Great Depression.

3) He's extremely weak on national security. He's against the Patriot Act and many other things that have been put in place to protect Americans from terrorists.

4) His stances on gay marriage, abortion, and stem-cell research are disturbing to me.

5) His foreign policy beliefs are bizarre. Especially his opinion that Iran should be allowed to become a nuclear power.

His stances on taxes, the size of government, and illegal immigration are appealing to me. However, the reasons above make him a very unorthodox and non-viable candidate.

Originally posted by ArmyEagle:
Our meddling in others countries' affairs over the last half century is what brought about terrorism.
Wrong. Islam is what brought about terrorism. They've been killing people for centuries. Airplanes and the ability to move around the world easily is what brought it to US soil.

1)To each is own. i think he comes across as the only sane one. If you are talking about the usual slick, superficial, political claptrap then yes Obama would beat him in your eyes.

2)There isn't enough gold to back our fiat currency. When you decrease the paper the value increases. The less gold the more valuable the currency. That's why seniors talk about .05 cokes and .10 double features.

3)This perceived weakness on national security comes from your belief that we should be the big cop of the world. Like Army said, it's not what was intended and is an impossible and dangerous policy.

4) His stances on gay marriage, and stem-cell research are American in nature. You know, liberty and freedom and all that jazz. Now, i agree with you his stance on abortion is not in line with freedom imo, but i would think you would actually agree with him here. Maybe you are unaware that he is pro-life. If so, please research him with an open mind instead of what talking heads try to scare you with.

5)We have no right to deny Iran or any other sovereign power nuclear power. You can't base your policy on, "we're the USA, the good guys, so we make the rules" Every culture thinks they are good and right.
Our danger from terrorist is from our interventionist policy. If you can't see this i don't know what to tell you. Again, don't take in all that talk radio stuff without filtering. Do you really think "they hate us for our freedoms"? Why don't they attack Canada or all the other free nations. We have been interfering in the middle east for decades. Now we reap the rewards.

What really bugs me is conservatives saying they agree with him on taxes, smaller govt, the Federal Reserve, etc. Then saying they can't vote for him because of X. We have one guy who is different. He's smart and he means what he says. He has a record that backs it up, yet you want to go with Romney, Newt, Obama, Bush, Clinton, Bush...they're all the same ole same ole. It won't ever change if we keep voting for these idiots.

1) I prefer a sane man running my country

2) That makes zero sense, and does nothing to address the issues I presented.

3) "Policing the world" is not something I think we should get into. What I am for is protecting America by any means necessary. We can't just sit around with our backs turned to the rest of the world and pretend that nothing bad will ever happen to us. Do that, and things like Pearl Harbor and 9/11 happen. Of course, you're probably one of those conspiracy freaks that thinks that GWB orchestrated 9/11.

4) There's nothing American about farming babies to slaughter for their cells. There's nothing American about recognizing anything other than a man and a woman as being married. I suppose you think is "American in nature" if some guy decides that he wants to marry his German Shepard. And RP claims to be pro-life, but he supports pro-abortion legislation, and claims that the government has no business interfering in abortion. That isn't exactly a pro-life stance.

5) Yeah, that's a great idea. When Israel is wiped off the map, and nuclear bombs that the kooks in Iran sell to terrorist organizations start being set off in American cities, we'll come back and discuss what a great idea it was.

No. They don't hate us for our freedoms. They hate us because we refuse to convert to Islam, and it is their duty to kill anyone that won't convert. That is not even debatable. Read their Koran.

Sorry, but I'd rather take the "same ole same ole" than turn the keys of the White House over to some whackjob. Lower taxes and smaller government isn't going to do much good when the economy completely crashes, and terrorists are setting off nuclear weapons in our cities.

Also, let's not forget that Congress does most of the policy making in Washington. You could bet your house that they wouldn't go for much of anything that Ron Paul wants.

Congress is where we need to focus. If you look at the link below, America's best years (late Clinton years and early Bush years) are when Republicans control Congress. America's worst years (last 2 Bush years, and Obama years) show that Congress was controlled by Democrats.

If we can get a Republican in the White House, along with a Republican dominated Senate AND House, then we could get some stuff done to get us out of the mess created by the Democrats while they've controlled Congress from 2007-present.

http://www.dflorig.com/partycontrol.htm

This is a great topic. The problem is that politics and who to vote for is rarely offers an easy solution.
I'll vote for Ron Paul...and have the bumper sticker to prove it, but no...I don't share every view that he does.
Pro-life: he is likely more pro-life than most in the GOP. His testimony as a doctor is touching. One doesn't get more pro-life than a pro-life doctor.
Foreign policy: The neo-conservative position isn't conservative in my book. They in fact promote a very liberal foreign policy...big government, world government, government above the law, no respect for sovereignty, high spending, and think tanks know more than the people. They worship "democracy"...not rule of law.

Yep...he sure stood his ground. There is only one problem I have with Ron Paul. He is in his 70's and retiring from the house, so we are likely seeing the last of his kind. I fear that all so soon, that the neo-cons and leftist will have 100% control of everything and we paleo-cons/classical liberals/libertarians will not have any voice.
Pat Buchanan is also past 70. His book Suicide of a Superpower is a great read, but hurts people's feelings. We are in a pickle when TRUTH is suppressed.
flush.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT