ADVERTISEMENT

OT: woot woot what a wonderful present from our govenor

smokewrings

All Conference
Jan 11, 2006
four days before christmas, i get notice that the emergency compensation act of 2008 has been canceled by the governor of mississippi and I will now be homeless...WAY TO SHOW YOU CARE AT XMAS GOV!!!!! ILL BE SURE TO VOTE FOR YOU! BEEN REAL FOLKS. guess i will not be posting for a while now..too dam bad only one semester from graduating too...

Governor cancelled it early but it was expiring January 2nd, 2013 http://workforcesecurity.doleta.gov/unemploy/supp_act.asp

Why will you be homeless? Unemployment doesn't pay for housing nor is it anywhere near enough to pay rent.

Not trying to be a turd.....but why are you on a "pay" sports forum. You may need to re-think some priorities bud.

This post was edited on 12/20 5:07 PM by claw26

Smoke,, did you not used to sell cars? I thought I met you there a few years ago at a local dealership in Hburg... could you not do that part time?

yes i used to sell cars.. and no they do not hire part time employees to sell....as for you guys comments about paying rent? yes i had found a place that let me pay 100 a week with utilities, good spot for a student. been a struggle for food and transportation with the rest but i have made do with the idea of getting a degree.

Wrings, not trying to be nosey, just trying to think of anything that might help--would you qualify for Pell Grants or anything like tha?

Don't know what I can do to help but will if possible.

I was told a few years ago that you could not draw unemployement and go to school at the same time.

no pell grants left....what happens when you dilly dally on majors your first go round. have enough aid to pay for semester and i use what little money i have extra to find cheapest text books online i can find. I appreciate the input GWE so don't owrry bout being nosey. :)

actually you can as long as you are actively looking for a job and do not turn one down, which i have been and which i have not. actually have a job starting on campus once school starts back, but will be too llittle too late.

loans are what pay for semester...and would not get refund till late jan early feb anyhow but good suggestion.

Smoke,, ever waited tables? I can get you on at 206 or Bianchis ... good way to work around class hours... call me
if interested 601-408-3894,,, last year this time that was what I was doing...

i would love to wait tables have 6 years experience there ..unfortunately i am on the coast in the pass and no one here is hiring. i guess an alternative would be to look at transfering to hattiesburg for this semester and the dorms...at least something to do in the am.

This post was edited on 12/20 6:42 PM by smokewrings

I think this thread may be a good time to say that I hitch hiked with a cardboard suitcase from Iuka to Hattiesburg. I had a place to stay and meals for a few weeks until I could get a job. I had no money for tuition. I landed a job working for Bud Kirkpatrick in the Student Union and was paid $0.50/ hour and worked as many as 59 hours a week. I then got a job working at the local theaters (Broadway, Beverly, and Saenger). At one time, I worked two jobs when I worked for the the Physical Plant department painting dorm rooms and moving matresses and such. At one point, I had to borrow $400. It took me 5 years to get my degree, but so what.

There is a lot more to my personal story, but the point for making this post is not to talk about me. The point of this post is that it seems everyone today is dependent on some kind of governmental help. If it is not Pell(taxpayer) grants or student loans, a very high % of college students are getting some kind of taxpayer assistance.

The United States Government, or its citizenship, is $16,000,000,000.000 in debt, It has has unfunded liabilities of somewhere between $75-80,000,000,000,000. That is more than the GDP of all the nations of the world. Our credit rating has been reduced once and is in danger of further reductions. Theres more, but this is enough.

Sorry Smoke, I am having a problem of being adequately sympathetic about your circumstances.
This post was edited on 12/20 7:01 PM by SeniorEagle

that is ok senior eagle, i like many others on here (perhaps even yourself) fought for the right for you to have your opinion.and i respect your opinion.

Smoke: 'Try Vocational Rehab. If you have ANY type of disability (did I hear you say you were feeling depressed?), and there is a chance to get you back to work, they can and will help. You've got nothing to lose. What I say is true, but my hard-ass side has to say that anyone who is drawing unemployment,and on a budget which is apparently as tight as yours has no business on a paid-for bulletin board. Go try eaglepost.net. I'm not trying to be too hard, but jeez, I make a living salary, and thought twice about the money for this board. If you can't afford it, don't spend the money.

I don't want to be too hard-assed here, but I don't want my tax dollars paying for your subscription. Food stamps, okay. Rent subsidies, okay. Even utility subsidies, okay. Even tuitition, okay. EVEN internet access, okay. But I'm not scared to be a jerk, I don't want my tax dollars to pay for your subscription to this board. I don't pay my taxes so you can hang out anydamnwhere you want on the internet.

You should be thinking way ahead of just the next few weeks and the next few months, you should also in tandem with the very urgent job need today, start looking to land that job the day you graduate. Jump right into it. If you have no support from family, or are unwilling to ask for the support (Good man!), then planning for the job after graduation starts now.

The other hint?

If you come on the board with such a cryptic message and playing the poor mouth, and all the while hinting fore help, it's not working. I can see by the messages on here that some are a little unforgiving of your style of post on your current situation.

What was wrong with coming on this board and asking for help in finding a job instead of bashing the Gov? Your post is contrary to your agenda.

Speak your mind and say your needs and be upfront instead of being to cryptic.

Go for it, it won't hurt.

Originally posted by EagleWhoSaysNi:
You should be thinking way ahead of just the next few weeks and the next few months, you should also in tandem with the very urgent job need today, start looking to land that job the day you graduate. Jump right into it. If you have no support from family, or are unwilling to ask for the support (Good man!), then planning for the job after graduation starts now.

The other hint?

If you come on the board with such a cryptic message and playing the poor mouth, and all the while hinting fore help, it's not working. I can see by the messages on here that some are a little unforgiving of your style of post on your current situation.

What was wrong with coming on this board and asking for help in finding a job instead of bashing the Gov? Your post is contrary to your agenda.

Speak your mind and say your needs and be upfront instead of being to cryptic.

Go for it, it won't hurt.
thank you for the advice and noted.

Have you tried the unemployment office in Hattiesburg? Companies that get work with the fed are required to hire a certain percentage of unemployed people. The company that I interned with just a year ago would jump through hoops at a circus on top of an elephant to get a unemployed person that knew how to use a computer and had people skills.

There's also Perkins loans. Have you looked to see if you qualify?

My message is very straight forward and not meant to be cutting to you at all. I see your frustration and the good news is that there are people on this board who can help, or who know's someone who can help...so this board is just one avenue to seek help and assistance in your job search.

Keep at it, you're doing the right thing. And as you know, the fearless will ask everyone, anywhere at anytime if they know of a job, and everyone you meet or talk to is just another good opportunity, and if you're not doing this then you're not doing it right, but by your post tonight, you are.

Good stuff!

eagleyed, the perkins loans are what i get and I am very lucky to have this second chance at finishing my degree. To this point, I have not disappointed those that helped make it possible. In the three semesters i have been back, I made the president's list twice and a 3.5 gpa this past semester despite all the outside school distractions thrown my way. I appreciate all of the insights and advice, but most of all I appreciate the fact you guys are all here and love southern miss as much or more than i do.

Wrings--you are at USM Gulfcoast and need a job near there--is that right?

If so I will see if I can find anyone in that area who might can help.

It is a tough market everywhere from what I hear.
Good luck.

thank you GWE, yes i am in pass christian at the moment, any help would be great

ronnie.strickland at gmail.com if you have any luck or if a phone call is merited, Lanny has my number.

I have not decided yet, although that is one option. I have a professor pushing me hard towards graduate school in mathematics, but I am taking the general sciences minor just in case teaching is the route i decide to go. Have you heard of any teaching posts open next fall?

Smoke in one of your post you said something about being in the age group that fights for this country to give people the right to give their opinion.

I'm only guessing here but I am assuming you did not fight for your country in the military. There's nothing wrong with that, but if by some chance you did join the military at some time there might be some benefits available.

No but the ihl has the program for teachers and nursing majors my son got 3 grand a semester and its forgiven a semester for each 6 months he works in state

Originally posted by Lamareagle2:
Smoke in one of your post you said something about being in the age group that fights for this country to give people the right to give their opinion.

I'm only guessing here but I am assuming you did not fight for your country in the military. There's nothing wrong with that, but if by some chance you did join the military at some time there might be some benefits available.
yes i served 1986-1993, but veteran's college benefits expire 10 years after your enlistment ends or so I was told by the veteran's affairs counselor in the financial aid office

Wrings, I concur with the idea of Vocational Rehabilitation. Many of us have disabilities, and if we don't, we likely will before we die. If you are not sure, go to the VR Office (it's just off Seaway Road in Gulfport, in the old Fayard Trucking Building). Ask to fill out an application for services. Then they will interview and will pay to test you. loudmouthedpoet is correct that depression is one disability which makes people eligible for services, as is PTSD, which many vets have. If eligible for services, they will likely pay for your tuition.

loudmouthpoet, if I may ask, have you used Voc Rehab services, or known someone who did? I take it that it worked for you?
This post was edited on 12/21 6:39 AM by Eagle Phan

Smoke, go talk to the regional VA office . Depending on how you seperated from the service, they might still be able to help you out.
Good luck, and God Bless.
This post was edited on 12/21 6:54 AM by nostereagle

As a veteran myself with 3 combat tours, please do not claim any disability through the VA unless you actually have one. I'm not saying you're that type of guy because I obviously don't know you, but I've seen vets (even friends of mine) with nothing wrong with them claim disability out of self-pity and just because they can. Please don't be that guy.

Being a coastie myself, I'll keep my eye out for job openings. May want to drive around Gulfport a bit.....restaurants are usually hiring around here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT