ADVERTISEMENT

OT: "Obama makes clear support for Ground Zero mosque" (link)

Re: "because those people do not have the freedoms we do".

Yes and it may deprive New York of further crime by bringing in wayward or potentially wayward youth off the streets--or at least, that is their plan.

What? How foolish, I am speaking of St Nicholas church...built in 1916. It was gorgeous, ornate, and not unlike the one near Malbis Alabama as far as the sanctuary is concerned, a real historical treasure.
And if you guys believe that this Mosque/Cultural center is there to keep young people on the straight and narrow...oh my...and more and more Muslims from around the country and Canada are speaking out against this project and the Imams who will lead this effort.
Only a fool would think this is a good idea.

Originally posted by scotteagle:
What? How foolish, I am speaking of St Nicholas church...built in 1916. It was gorgeous, ornate, and not unlike the one near Malbis Alabama as far as the sanctuary is concerned, a real historical treasure.
And if you guys believe that this Mosque/Cultural center is there to keep young people on the straight and narrow...oh my...and more and more Muslims from around the country and Canada are speaking out against this project and the Imams who will lead this effort.
Only a fool would think this is a good idea.

St. Nicholas was destroyed in the 9/11 attacks. The lot it was located on was purchased by the Port Authority for a sum of $20 million a couple of years ago.

The community center will be in an old Italian-style building formerly owned by the Burlington Coat Factory (see link). It was abandoned after damage in the 9/11 attacks.

Regardless of your dislike of Islam, as a conservative, you should have been deeply, deeply concerned if any government (local, state, or national) attempted to take any action against this project.
This post was edited on 8/17 5:19 PM by eaglenjxn

Building

OK hotrock11, by the logic you go by you take the mayor of New York's opinion. He's for it and is getting hammered in the polls for it. The people of New York are very much against it. I'll side with the people over the burocrate. As to others arguments, they do have a legal right to build it on one hand, but it is wrong for them in many other ways. And yes all across the country zoning boards deny building permits far all kinds of reasons, many of them just because the citizens of the area are against it or it does not fit into the area. It happens all the time. As for you that bring up the race card, it is pathetic. You are hurting those that are truly harmed by racism when it actually happens instead of these trumped up "the sky is falling" political ones where there are simply people that disagree with the man.

Well eaglenjxn maybe you know of people that say they do not have a legal right to build it there, but I have not personally heard that argument made from anyone and I have listened to many conservatives, both friends and on radio and TV. Everyone I hear agrees on their right to build it there, just that it is not the right thing to do. So I have no idea what you mean by the statement "A true Conservative would not have contiued with that sentence. Neo-con."

The best example of why the people of New York have the right to stop the building of the mosque near ground zero comes from the example that Tampa, Fl set. It happens thousands of times all across the country where zoning boards deny permits to build simply because they do not want the project in the area or it does not fit for some reason. In Tampa several years back a private group wanted to construct a museum for a treasure ship or pirate ship that had been discovered with millions of treasure and artifacts. It would have been a big tourist attraction and would have fit with Tampa's pirate past. Only thing was that before it was a pirate ship, the ship was a slave ship. The owners said that they would build an area of the museum for that subject and treat it with the respect that it deserved. But the NAACP and other black groups got involved and shut down the project. They did not want it. It did not happen. The zoning board denied it. There was no reason other than politics. And in this case the majority wanted it, it was good for the area, but a minority said no. So what's the difference in New York? Other than the majority are against it and to build it will cause strife.

Well, I do mean to call you a neo-Con.

Most of the conservatives I talk to and see on Fox News want the government of NYC to put a stop to this and keep it from happening....therefore meaning, if they want the government to stop it, it must be legal for them to stop it or the Muslim group does not have a right to build it.

Why don't you explain for me what exactly you (and other neo-cons) are mad about and what you are trying to accomplish with your complaining?

This is an example of how the media can spin controversies on both sides of the debate. They do indeed create the issues we discuss.
What would the media be reporting if a church or synagogue were to be built near ground zero? Consistency tend to get lost sometimes.

First of all I will not call you names because you disagree with me eaglenjxn. I will be happy to debate and explain myself. I must assume you are lumping in liberals Reid, Dean, and others since they too have said it should not be built. I have watched several conservatives on Fox and everyone of them that I have heard has said that they have the legal right to build it there. It is a seperate issue that many on the left and right think it is wrong to build it there and hope that the Muslims back off. Another issue is that zoning boards can put a stop to it if they decide to. Just read my other post as to what they did in Tampa to stop a treasure ship museum. It happens all the time all across the nation. You are way off base trying to make this a conservative issue. Dems and libs are cominng out against this all over the place along with Repubs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT