ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Gun Question

Catfish

BGN Pro Poster
Feb 5, 2003
For primitive weapon season this year, I've been using a borrowed single-shot .45-70, and I've taken a couple of deer with it.

As a birthday present to myself, I'm thinking about buying a .35 Whelen this weekend either in a H&R Handi Rifle, or the CVA Scout.

I've never shot at .35 Whelen, but I've been looking at some of the ballistics and it seems to have a lot in common with more modern high velocity rounds than some of the other rounds on the "primitive" list. It is basically a necked-up 30-30 with a larger bullet.

Have any of you hunted with this round, and do any of you have any experience with the two rifles listed above? I'd love to get a Browning single-shot or a Ruger Model One, but I really don't want to pay that kind of premium for another rifle to use during the primitive weapon weeks.

Any recommendations/reviews would be greatly appreciated.

Me too. Ive been using an H&R 45/70 for primitive weapon. I am interested in the 35 Whelen. I have had folks tell me that they use it all season. Would be interested in hearing some info from anyone too.

If you want a gun that you can use all season long, 35 whelen is the way to go. It is very versatile. You can shoot up close and also still pick off a deer at 2-300 yards.

I'm building a couple of tanks, mostly for armadilloes and Canadian terrorists.

I think you should get this..

kpos8.jpg

Originally posted by EagleRaider94:

Its just a pistol modification.
Yeah, and the AR-15s on the ban list are just modified .223s with a bunch of tactical-looking cosmetic accessories attached.

Strange how a little .223 varmit rifle wouldn't even make most folks think twice, but put a bunch of scary-looking tactical accesories on it like pistol grips, muzzle breaks and scope rails, and suddenly it's a major threat to national security.

If you are refering to a "Ruger Number 1" single shot rifle it does not qualify as a primitive weapon. To qualify as a primitive weapon it must be a single shot and have an exposed hammer. I stand corrected. My bad. Not many guns qualfiy though.
This post was edited on 1/25 3:39 PM by eagle ron

Originally posted by Catfish:
Originally posted by EagleRaider94:

Its just a pistol modification.
Yeah, and the AR-15s on the ban list are just modified .223s with a bunch of tactical-looking cosmetic accessories attached.

Strange how a little .223 varmit rifle wouldn't even make most folks think twice, but put a bunch of scary-looking tactical accesories on it like pistol grips, muzzle breaks and scope rails, and suddenly it's a major threat to national security.
There's an entire thread already started in The Hub about the gun laws and how people feel about them. Feel free to discuss it there.

Originally posted by eagle ron:
If you are refering to a "Ruger Number 1" single shot rifle it does not qualify as a primitive weapon. To qualify as a primitive weapon it must break in half, and be a single shot, if it does not break in half and you get caught with it you will be arrested and issued a ticket. Read the game and fish regulations or check with the game warden, that is a fact.
My understanding is that the rifle only has to be a breech-loading rifle with an exposed hammer. I have attached a copy of the regulation below for your reference.

With that in mind, I just looked at a picture of a Ruger Number 1, and it looks like it wouldn't qualify because it doesn't have an exposed hammer, not because it doesn't break at the breech. (I've never seen a Ruger Number 1, so I'm just going by the picture). So, from that standpoint, it wouldn't be legal.

However, the Browning .45-70 I've been using was loaned to me by a member of the MDWFP Wildlife Foundation Board. It is single-shot breech loading with a lever-action, but does not break open. Based on the regs, it is considered a legal weapon.

Primitive Weapon Regs

For primitive weapon season this year, I've been using a borrowed single-shot .45-70, and I've taken a couple of deer with it.

As a birthday present to myself, I'm thinking about buying a .35 Whelen this weekend either in a H&R Handi Rifle, or the CVA Scout.

I've never shot at .35 Whelen, but I've been looking at some of the ballistics and it seems to have a lot in common with more modern high velocity rounds than some of the other rounds on the "primitive" list. It is basically a necked-up 30-30 with a larger bullet.

Have any of you hunted with this round, and do any of you have any experience with the two rifles listed above? I'd love to get a Browning single-shot or a Ruger Model One, but I really don't want to pay that kind of premium for another rifle to use during the primitive weapon weeks.

Any recommendations/reviews would be greatly appreciated.
Catfish,
The .35 Whelen is one of the world's great cartridges. It is the .30-06 Springfield case necked up to .35 caliber, not the much smaller .30-30 case.

The .35 Whelen round existed for many years as a "wildcat" loading, meaning it was only available to handloaders and was not loaded commercially until sometime in the '90's when Remington introduced it commercially in their 700 Classic Series of rifles and began offering it as a factory loaded round.

The .35 Whelen is capable of taking any North American big game, up to and including the big bears, as well as most any African plains game. More than needed for whitetails, it is nonetheless a great choice for all-season use.

It is another one of the great cartridges developed from the .30-06 case, which includes the .25-06 Rem., the .270 Win., and the .280 Rem.

Remngton has two loads, a 200 gr. bullet @ 2675 fps, and a 250 gr. pill @ 2400 fps, both relatively mild. Barnes, Federal, Hornady, Nosler, and others offer some really great high performance loadings that take this round to its full potential. You can check them out at www.midwayusa.com, click on "ammunition", then scroll down the listings on the left side of the page until you find the .35 Whelen listed.

This cartridge is gives fairly high recoil in a Handi Rifle, though certainly no worse than most .45-70 loads. I have one of the new CVA/BPI Apex's with a 3x9 Zeiss Conquest mounted and is one great combination and the recoil is very manageable in this rifle. T/C Encore's are good pieces in this caliber also.

Good luck!

This post was edited on 1/25 2:41 PM by J-Eagle

This post was edited on 1/25 2:42 PM by J-Eagle

This post was edited on 1/25 2:45 PM by J-Eagle

Thanks J-Eagle, exactly what I was looking for!

A couple of questions for you?

- Where did you buy your CVA? I'm assuming the Apex is the one with a combination muzzleloader/rifle with interchangeable barrels. I've called several dealers today, and everyone has the Handi, but no one seems to carry the CVA.

- What's a ballpark on the cost with your rifle/scope combo. The Browning .45-70 I've been using has a Zeiss scope, and I love it.

- I assume the CVA is breech loading but not break open, correct?

Thanks in advance. Very helpful post!

Gun threads are my favorite, followed closely by bourbon threads. I don't care how OT they are, as far as I'm concerned discuss them for my reading pleasure all y'all want.

I bought my Apex at Van's in Brandon for about $550 or so. The Zeiss was $400. They are not easy to find on the shelf. They are a break-open gun, but the centerfire and muzzle loader versions are separate. Go to their website, www.cva.com and view all the info and specs. Note, it is available as the Scout, which is a compact version, and the full size Apex which has a 25" barrel (my gun). I'm sure Van's would order you one if they do not have one in stock. Let me know if you need further help.

I second the 35 Whelen cartridge. Outstanding round. We (my son & I) reload our cartridges and they are very accurate.

They are fun, but not nearly as riveting as people posting engagement announcments or threads asking us to participate in surveys for their classes.

You'll never hear me bitching about moving a thread, just find it funny that the main one that does bitch has posted both examples above in the past.

This post was edited on 1/25 3:30 PM by nostereagle

Originally posted by J-Eagle:
I bought my Apex at Van's in Brandon for about $550 or so. The Zeiss was $400. They are not easy to find on the shelf. They are a break-open gun, but the centerfire and muzzle loader versions are separate. Go to their website, www.cva.com and view all the info and specs. Note, it is available as the Scout, which is a compact version, and the full size Apex which has a 25" barrel (my gun). I'm sure Van's would order you one if they do not have one in stock. Let me know if you need further help.
Thanks! I'm going to call Van's right now. I really like the Scout, so I think I'm going to order that one. I would like the longer barrel, but it's not a deal breaker.

It seems to me that the Scout is a superior gun to the Handi, so I don't mind paying the few extra bucks.

Originally posted by nostereagle:
They are fun, but not nearly as riveting as people posting engagement announcments or threads asking us to participate in surveys for their classes.

You'll never hear me bitching about moving a thread, just find it funny that the main one that does bitch has posted both examples above in the past.

This post was edited on 1/25 3:30 PM by nostereagle
I already promised you that I would never post another engagement announcement on here. lol. Thought that would be sufficient for your high standards. And the survey was about Southern Miss, so don't know what your beef is there.

I didn't ask for this thread to be moved. I actually enjoy reading the threads about guns, too. I own a couple. I just get tired of all the political BS that gets thrown in here when many people (not just myself) have stated numerous times that they don't pay money to read that crap.

But please, continue to make your flimsy little case that what we are talking about is the same thing.

This post was edited on 1/25 3:45 PM by laureleagleson

The 45-70 handi rifle will knock the taste out of your mouth. Im looking at the .35 Whelen as well. Basically at 30-06 round.

Originally posted by laureleagleson:

I just get tired of all the political BS that gets thrown in here when many people (not just myself) have stated numerous times that they don't pay money to read that crap.
Then don't read it. All you are doing with your constant crying is making it more fun to post these things to get a rise out of the libtards.

Originally posted by Legendary Eagle:

I just get tired of all the political BS that gets thrown in here when many people (not just myself) have stated numerous times that they don't pay money to read that crap.
Then don't read it. All you are doing with your constant crying is making it more fun to post these things to get a rise out of the libtards.

Wait, wha...

Originally posted by haleyd1:

The 45-70 handi rifle will knock the taste out of your mouth. Im looking at the .35 Whelen as well. Basically at 30-06 round.
Not really. That would be like saying the .270 is "basically a .30-06 round." They are all based on the .30-06 case, but because of the different caliber, they all perform differently.

The .357 bore diameter of the .35 Whelen and its subsequent larger diameter bullet allows for the powder gases to have a larger base of the bullet to push on. This allows in turn to push a heavier bullet at a higher velocity than the .308 diameter bullet in the .30-06 could achieve with the same amount of powder. The .35 Whelen is one of those perfect combinations of caliber and case capacity that lets it perform way better than it should.

There is another round based on the '06 case that is a real performer and that's the .338-06, which with modern powders allows it to perform perilously close to the .338 Win. Mag. The .338-06 remains a wildcat round that will never be loaded commercially because of the new generation of short magnums from Winchester that make it irrelevant. The same would be true of the .35 Whelen were it not for Mississippi's ridiculous interpretation of a "primitive weapon".

Catfish,
Small correction: the Apex centerfire and muzzle loader barrels are all interchangeable on the same Apex receiver.

Had to share a conversation I had with one of my liberal friends tonight, who was espousing the virtues of gun control in a "civilized society".

I told her I find it interesting that her party fights to outlaw guns, 99.9 percent of which will never be used to harm another human being, while at the same time fighting to keep open abortion clinics, 100 percent of which kill people every day.

Someone will have to explain to me how that works. I'm apparently too "uncivilized" to understand.

Had to share a conversation I had with one of my liberal friends tonight, who was espousing the virtues of gun control in a "civilized society".

I told her I find it interesting that her party fights to outlaw guns, 99.9 percent of which will never be used to harm another human being, while at the same time fighting to keep open abortion clinics, 100 percent of which kill people every day.

Someone will have to explain to me how that works. I'm apparently too "uncivilized" to understand.
Just HAD to do it, huh? Where multiple people have told you that this isn't the appropriate place? Much like many have told you that your bloviated, long winded, self serving sermons aren't necessary, yet you keep slathering the masses with your overuse of verbiage simply to read what you wrote kinda way? Yeah, I thought so. Sounds like a wonderful conversation to have on The Hub, where a gun control conversation is already taking place... where it should be taking place. Enjoy your conversation over there.

This post was edited on 1/26 12:14 AM by laureleagleson

Sounds like a wonderful conversation to have on The Hub, where a gun control conversation is already taking place... where it should be taking place
But it's so much more fun to have it here so I can get the satisfaction of making you whine about it. And no, there's no conversation going in the Hub. Other than your own mea culpa after getting busted on your hypocrisy about off-topic threads, no one has posted in that thread for 8 days.

Sounds like a wonderful conversation to have on The Hub, where a gun control conversation is already taking place... where it should be taking place
But it's so much more fun to have it here so I can get the satisfaction of making you whine about it. And no, there's no conversation going in the Hub. Other than your own mea culpa after getting busted on your hypocrisy about off-topic threads, no one has posted in that thread for 8 days.
lol! there's no thread other than the thread that literally reads "gun law changes." Sure thing, kid. It's funny to understand that you have actually been working, slowly but surely, towards this end all day, only to show yourself as the same self serving idiot that we've all know you to be. You and Nostereagle can keep trying to make the same comparison all day long, while I've told you both that if you find it offensive, I will not make the same types of posts again, yet you keep making the same idiotic, repetitive posts over and over again while many have asked you time and time again not to. Sure, keep claiming innocence through stupidity. I think it's adorable.

This post was edited on 1/26 12:30 AM by laureleagleson

Originally posted by WastinawaynNitChampsburg:

Laurel,

Did i over react when i hurried and bought 2 10 round clips for my savage 22wmr? lol
lol! I love ya, Wastin! You da man!
Hey im the only branch of the family tree that doesnt own a unregistered kit made ak-47 lol Ask your brother in law lol

You know what's adorable? The thought of you sitting behind the computer screen fuming mad because you are absolutely powerless to control the conversation, all the while knowing you've humiliated yourself with your own blatant hypicrocy on the subject.

You might want to take a second look. You are the only one whining about the tread.

At least I now understand why you're so threatened by every post I make. Apparently, it's because you have some insatiable need to dictate the terms of the discussion. I'm heartened to know my non-conformity with your fragile sensibilities bothers you so much.

Now, I would suggest if you have any more personal attacks you'd like to engage in with me, send me an email. I'll be happy to debate you to your heart's content off the board.

Wow. Every time I think you can't be full of yourself anymore than you already are, you step it up another level. You really do think it's about you, don't you? Of course you do. You think all of these conversations have been about you personally. How could you not? You're just that self centered. Reality check. It's the message, not the idiot. Try and get it right, "writer."

Wow. Every time I think you can't be full of yourself anymore than you already are, you step it up another level. You really do think it's about you, don't you? Of course you do. You think all of these conversations have been about you personally. How could you not? You're just that self centered. Reality check. It's the message, not the idiot. Try and get it right, "writer."
No, it's definitely not about me. Apparently, it's all about you. Because I never seek out any of your posts to respond to, yet you apparently feel the need to respond to every single one of mine. So, clearly the issue lies on your end, since you've spent the last two days describing how terribly victimized and inconvenienced you are by the length of my posts.

Do you even comprehend how childish it is to sit and whine about posts you aren't even obligated to read, much less respond to?

Seriously, kid... You've already forgotten that the reason I came after you was because you attacked a friend of mine in such a way that you actually felt the need to apologize for it? Of course you did. Your frail ego would never allow you to remember such a thing. Instead, it created some form of stalking to hide the ridiculousness of your posts to cover for your own sense of idiocy

This post was edited on 1/26 1:14 AM by laureleagleson

Seriously, kid... You've already forgotten that the reason I came after you was because you attacked a friend of mine in such a way that you actually felt the need to apologize for it? Of course you did. Your frail ego would never allow you to remember such a thing. Instead, it created some form of stalking to hide the ridiculousness of your posts to cover for your own sense of idiocy

This post was edited on 1/26 1:14 AM by laureleagleson
How very chivalric you are!!! You simply came to the aid of a friend in need after mean ole Catfish refused to roll over and take his insults again and again and again.

It must be fun to substitute your own reality. Because the truth is, you've been taking shots at me as long as I've posted on this board. But you already know that. It's just not convenient to your desired narrative right now.

And I'm not sure if you think calling me "kid" somehow makes you come across as tough. It doesn't. It just reveals your desire to resort to insults when your hypocrisy prevents you from being able to make a legitimate point. Moreover, the fact that you want to continue to play this out on the board, even after I've asked you to email me if you feel the need to continue, further proves that you're just trying to put on a show.

Well, you're definitely putting on a show. But it appears to reveal a lot more about you than it does about me.

Instead of trying to start an argument with me in every thread, stick to posting your little Obama gifs. I'm way out of your league.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT