ADVERTISEMENT

New Orleans Bowl

SouthernFox

Key Reserve
Oct 29, 2002
I selfishly want us to go to the New Orleans Bowl because it's so close. The other bowl that I see us predicted for is the Heart of Dallas Bowl.

I know that anything is good but I really don't like that St Petersburg Bowl. I'm glad I don't see any predictions for that one anymore.

Reactions: Eagleyed
Munz said that USM really wanted to play in the N O Bowl. Works for me too. Either one is good though, but I really want to go to New Orleans. We would be able to take thousands more fans there. McGillis implied that New Orleans, Dallas, and the Independence Bowl (if available) were our preference.

I selfishly want us to go to the New Orleans Bowl because it's so close. The other bowl that I see us predicted for is the Heart of Dallas Bowl.

I know that anything is good but I really don't like that St Petersburg Bowl. I'm glad I don't see any predictions for that o

I think that we should go to whatever bowl game that is available that will lift the image of our university. We are currently in the cellar. What bowl has the least meaning and prestige associated with it? Is it The NO Bowl? I honestly have not made any evaluation.

SO I WOULD LIKE A LITTLE HELP HERE TO EVALUATE THE BOWL SET UP. AND WHATEVER GAME MEANS THE BIGGEST BOOST TO OUR TEAM, THEN LET'S GO IF IT IS AVAILABLE TO US. SO PROS AND CONS???

Meanwhile, GO EAGLES !!! There is much work to be done before knowing anything about our post season.

After the last three very difficult years I would probably be happy with any bowl. But I've always liked New Orleans, its atmosphere and its convenient location for those of us on the Gulf Coast. I recall not so many years ago people on this board complaining about the New Orleans Bowl as if it were not good enough for us. Today I think most Southern Miss fans would be delighted to go there. Everything's relative, I guess.

NO Bowl(if ULL could win 2 more games)- very large crowd..(50K, but the kickoff is late)....if Arkansas State goes then the crowd will be small(30 K)

HOD Bowl- chance to play a big time opponent, crowd could be big depending on who we play....

Someone posted on the pay board about OM in the Indy Bow,l but I'm not sure how that could occur...

I know that anything is good but I really don't like that St Petersburg Bowl. I'm glad I don't see any predictions for that one anymore.
I am on the other side of the fierce. Hate the city of NO for what it is a corrupt and lawless dump. Also we have nothing to gain in playing ULL in a bowl game. Dallas would be the against Big 12. I had a Great time in St Pete and it is much better town the than the slum that is NO. If we go to NO I will hold my nose and go but the Bowl excitement will be diminished. We already play a weak CUSA schedule an we would top it off with a game against the Sun Belt. Yuck Alll that is just my opinion others will love NO. I just supported the relief effort while I was active duty and got a bad taste in my mouth for the culture that resides there.

NO can be a really fun place but I feel you. playing a sun belt team is also not very desirable but we need to start somewhere and I think a regional team and the close proximity will help the Fan base get back on board. I've been really disappointed by our home crowds this year. I know the weather and schedule have been a factor. I wish every game could have a crowd like the state game. My hope is to play Arkansas state in the NO bowl. Even the Arizona bowl would be nice. Easier to travel for me coming from CA. SMTTT

Munz said that USM really wanted to play in the N O Bowl. Works for me too. Either one is good though, but I really want to go to New Orleans. We would be able to take thousands more fans there. McGillis implied that New Orleans, Dallas, and the Independence Bowl (if available) were our preference.
Not that it means much but most projections have LA Tech in NO which I would think would be their first choice. ULL vs Tulane had 54k in attendance the last 2 time we were there it was 18k and 30k. Most have in Dallas.

NO can be a really fun place but I feel you. playing a sun belt team is also not very desirable but we need to start somewhere and I think a regional team and the close proximity will help the Fan base get back on board. I've been really disappointed by our home crowds this year. I know the weather and schedule have been a factor. I wish every game could have a crowd like the state game. My hope is to play Arkansas state in the NO bowl. Even the Arizona bowl would be nice. Easier to travel for me coming from CA. SMTTT
Yea I am going whereever just hoping we play a school that is at or above where we want to be. A P 5 oppouent would be great.

I think that we should go to whatever bowl game that is available that will lift the image of our university. We are currently in the cellar. What bowl has the least meaning and prestige associated with it? Is it The NO Bowl? I honestly have not made any evaluation.

SO I WOULD LIKE A LITTLE HELP HERE TO EVALUATE THE BOWL SET UP. AND WHATEVER GAME MEANS THE BIGGEST BOOST TO OUR TEAM, THEN LET'S GO IF IT IS AVAILABLE TO US. SO PROS AND CONS???

Meanwhile, GO EAGLES !!! There is much work to be done before knowing anything about our post season.
I think going to NO from a program perspective Is all risk and no reward. Win and and we just beat a CUSA want to be but lose or play it close and those other schools will point at the game and tell the recruits that we are no better than a Sunbelt Team.

I hope we don't go to the NO bowl. I remember fans complaining back when Bower was coaching and constantly ending up there.

I think the big objection back then was that the New Orleans Bowl was fairly new at the time and we usually faced off with teams the fans felt were beneath us. With so many new bowls on the CUSA bowl lineup now the NO Bowl is probably one of the more attractive options after Heart of Dallas.

Reactions: Eagleyed
I think going to NO from a program perspective Is all risk and no reward. Win and and we just beat a CUSA want to be but lose or play it close and those other schools will point at the game and tell the recruits that we are no better than a Sunbelt Team.
I think I've heard that argument before. Oh yeah, it's Old Piss talking about playing us.

Bill McGillis has said that we will not be going to the Bahamas.
LOL, STUD, Did he do a blood hand shake on it like Josie Wales and Two Bears? I'd feel better then somehow. The Hawaii Bowl thingy was very scary, lol.

I think the big objection back then was that the New Orleans Bowl was fairly new at the time and we usually faced off with teams the fans felt were beneath us. With so many new bowls on the CUSA bowl lineup now the NO Bowl is probably one of the more attractive options after Heart of Dallas.
The opponent will most likely be Ark State.Do our fans now see them aa a program on our level. To me it is not someone to get fired up about playing. We have no history with them except their coach. That match up draws, at the most 25k, (5000k less than USM Vs Troy in the same bowl).

LOL, STUD, Did he do a blood hand shake on it like Josie Wales and Two Bears? I'd feel better then somehow. The Hawaii Bowl thingy was very scary, lol.

He said it in the latest interview with John Cox posted to YouTube last week. His exact words were that you need passports to go to the Bahamas and we don't have passports.

I'd like to see us in Dallas. I think that would be the best "return to prominence" bowl for us. I live in Covington and NOLA would be easy for me, but would rather not play a Sunbelt team for the many reasons stated above.

Reactions: Law Eagle
We look liked a Bower coached team today, brick wall defense that allowed the offense on the field all day. Yes, we have a much higher octane than what Bower ran, and for that matter, what any other team ran in those days, but that defense today is the way Southern Miss has played for decades! SMTTT!

Guys, do not forget our most recent 3 seasons. Saying anything of the sort of " do not want to play sunbelt/wac" teams just sounds like a "better than thou" attitude. And we have SUCKED, the past few years. Any bowl is a good bowl.

Also, all of CUSA's bowl tie-ins, except the Heart of Dallas bowl, is against a Sunbelt or WAC opponent. There may be a AAC bowl in there, and I think a MWC tie in somewhere as well.

Would playing a "more recognized" opponents from a P5 conference in the Heart of Dallas Bowl be ideal. Yes. But I think we have to win the conference championship first to get that invite. But what does it get us. A little bit more exposure against a publicly perceived better team (via their conference affiliation only in some cases).

We could look at the bowls in terms of how much money the bowl pays out. The New Orleans has the lowest payout, or next to it of them all. But in reality, the pay out is based on tickets sold, and the majority of our fanbase is a lot closer to New Orleans than anywhere else. Even then, the team gets an allowance from the conference of like $200,000 to cover any bowl travel expenses. The rest of the payout money all goes into the conference pot and is split evenly to what the conference pays out to each team each year. The only way USM comes out ahead in the money department is to not spend all of that allowance, or sell a bunch of fan tickets through the USM ticket office. The New Orleans bowl is the de-facto best bowl for us in that situation.

And lets not forget, we are still in a tight spot financially due to paying out the contracts of EJ and his staff, and then the burden put on our meager athletic budget from low attendance due to the past years suckage.

We are having a great year given what has transpired from 2012-current. Lets just take that for what it is and enjoy it, regardless of the bowl destination. Once we are back on a several year streak of bowl games and contending regularly for the conference title again then we can worry about if the destination is desirable or not (mostly not as long as we are in CUSA I fear).

Guys, do not forget our most recent 3 seasons. Saying anything of the sort of " do not want to play sunbelt/wac" teams just sounds like a "better than thou" attitude. And we have SUCKED, the past few years. Any bowl is a good bowl.

Also, all of CUSA's bowl tie-ins, except the Heart of Dallas bowl, is against a Sunbelt or WAC opponent. There may be a AAC bowl in there, and I think a MWC tie in somewhere as well.

Would playing a "more recognized" opponents from a P5 conference in the Heart of Dallas Bowl be ideal. Yes. But I think we have to win the conference championship first to get that invite. But what does it get us. A little bit more exposure against a publicly perceived better team (via their conference affiliation only in some cases).

We could look at the bowls in terms of how much money the bowl pays out. The New Orleans has the lowest payout, or next to it of them all. But in reality, the pay out is based on tickets sold, and the majority of our fanbase is a lot closer to New Orleans than anywhere else. Even then, the team gets an allowance from the conference of like $200,000 to cover any bowl travel expenses. The rest of the payout money all goes into the conference pot and is split evenly to what the conference pays out to each team each year. The only way USM comes out ahead in the money department is to not spend all of that allowance, or sell a bunch of fan tickets through the USM ticket office. The New Orleans bowl is the de-facto best bowl for us in that situation.

And lets not forget, we are still in a tight spot financially due to paying out the contracts of EJ and his staff, and then the burden put on our meager athletic budget from low attendance due to the past years suckage.

We are having a great year given what has transpired from 2012-current. Lets just take that for what it is and enjoy it, regardless of the bowl destination. Once we are back on a several year streak of bowl games and contending regularly for the conference title again then we can worry about if the destination is desirable or not (mostly not as long as we are in CUSA I fear).

Didn't the buyout of EJ'S contract get covered by the Nebraska buyout of the home game being moved to Lincoln?

It is selfish because that bowl is awful.

Bowl opponents are overrated. In the end unless you play on New Year's Day no one is going to remember your game anyway so it doesn't matter if we play in NO or Dallas or Shreveport as long as the fans and the team have a good time.

I agreed with the Hawaii bowl decision btw.

Get out of here with all of your fact and logic. The N O Bowl would be a great one for us. We would sell far more tickets to it. And you are so right in that we have to sell them to cover the pay out. We don't do that in any bowl but the N O Bowl. Plus travel costs go way down. I want a bowl where the fans can go. That said, I will be please with either the N O Bowl or the Dallas bowl, but lean toward the N O Bowl, which I love. (I am not one of these "I don't want to play in a bowl against a team like us." people.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT