ADVERTISEMENT

Just a cottn pickin' minute if I may go OT

wer4usm

BGN Pro Poster
Oct 28, 2002
Foley, AL
So the story out of Nashville is that the president of Libscomb Univesity had some black students over for dinner. Seems that the table was adorned with a cotton stalk arrangement on the table. My wife just put some cotton stalk and fall floral arrangements on our front door last week. So this is generally a statement of fall décor in the south. But the students became upset at the décor and went to social media. The president has since apologized for being insensitive. Oh and they served mac/cheese and collard greens which they considered was an attempt at "soul food" and this was also found offensive as well. You just can't make this stuff up but if there are doubters the link is below.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/new...ologizes-cotton-stalk-centerpieces/673419001/

Back to my wife's door décor...just thinking if this is the reason my UPS delivery has been delayed. They kept telling me it was due to the hurricanes tying up truck traffic but hey, maybe I've offended my delivery guy by having a cotton stalk on my door.;) So if we have an invading army carrying banana peels and cotton stalks they will terrorize about half the southern population. Making the rest of us easy pickings....er, maybe I should not have said picking as that may be offensive as well. You just have to laugh about all this or you'll go crazy with all the silliness.

I have to admit, I think the college president should have thought of that in regards to what he served and the decorations. I'm sure he had no ill intentions but in today's world you have to think about things like that. As to the food served, i would have served something that they don't normally get but that would also be a treat with a couple of other items as a backup plan. My thought being, make it a memory. treat them to something special, not just mac and cheese and collards.

My thought is don't invite their ass over again. Too old to put a lot of effort in thinking about all the insane PC-BS society has out there today. Everyone needs to try and get along as best we can and get over themselves. Now, if you don't stand up out of respect for our national anthem...then we got ourselves a problem!!!

I have to admit, I think the college president should have thought of that in regards to what he served and the decorations. I'm sure he had no ill intentions but in today's world you have to think about things like that. As to the food served, i would have served something that they don't normally get but that would also be a treat with a couple of other items as a backup plan. My thought being, make it a memory. treat them to something special, not just mac and cheese and collards.

Of course you're assuming that the foods offered were typical for them. Isn't that an implication as well. Personally I like mac/cheese and collard greens and only think of it as food I like. It is generally acceptable southern foods. Pork Ribs were a throw a way portion of the hog because the meat was tough. It was given to the slaves and they developed ways of preparing it to make it less tough and more palatable. I don't see anyone turning down pork ribs because it was considered slave food at one time. AA have learned to prepare sections of the hog that whites didn't eat. And they perfected the taste of those throw away portions. My mom taught me to eat what the host served and not complain. Point is that in todays snowflake environment anything will be used as a reason to find fault. And I don't have the time or reasoning to guess what would offend everyone because what I may think is inoffensive turns out to be more offensive.

So the story out of Nashville is that the president of Libscomb Univesity had some black students over for dinner. Seems that the table was adorned with a cotton stalk arrangement on the table. My wife just put some cotton stalk and fall floral arrangements on our front door last week. So this is generally a statement of fall décor in the south. But the students became upset at the décor and went to social media. The president has since apologized for being insensitive. Oh and they served mac/cheese and collard greens which they considered was an attempt at "soul food" and this was also found offensive as well. You just can't make this stuff up but if there are doubters the link is below.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/new...ologizes-cotton-stalk-centerpieces/673419001/

Back to my wife's door décor...just thinking if this is the reason my UPS delivery has been delayed. They kept telling me it was due to the hurricanes tying up truck traffic but hey, maybe I've offended my delivery guy by having a cotton stalk on my door.;) So if we have an invading army carrying banana peels and cotton stalks they will terrorize about half the southern population. Making the rest of us easy pickings....er, maybe I should not have said picking as that may be offensive as well. You just have to laugh about all this or you'll go crazy with all the silliness.
I understand MSU calls thier party area the Cotton District. That was stupid!

I
Of course you're assuming that the foods offered were typical for them. Isn't that an implication as well. Personally I like mac/cheese and collard greens and only think of it as food I like. It is generally acceptable southern foods. Pork Ribs were a throw a way portion of the hog because the meat was tough. It was given to the slaves and they developed ways of preparing it to make it less tough and more palatable. I don't see anyone turning down pork ribs because it was considered slave food at one time. AA have learned to prepare sections of the hog that whites didn't eat. And they perfected the taste of those throw away portions. My mom taught me to eat what the host served and not complain. Point is that in todays snowflake environment anything will be used as a reason to find fault. And I don't have the time or reasoning to guess what would offend everyone because what I may think is inoffensive turns out to be more offensive.
good points. I like those foods as well.

Go back to the comments years ago from the pro golfer Fuzzy Zoeller after Tiger won his first Masters. He made what he thought was a joke about what Tiger would serve the next year at the Champions dinner. While he said it as a joke, you can't be joking about that stuff. People find that offensive. You have to be aware of that.

I used to entertain a lot when I was with GE. They taught us if you were going to entertain, make it a memory. If someone is going to take time out of their schedule to be with you then do something special. Treat them to something they don't normally do. That was my point. While also not doing something that a snowflake might find offensive.

One may think they are over reacting to what was served and the table decoration. Maybe they were. But it the environment today you have to be sensitive to something like this.

Im not going there. Whether we like it or not, we just need to be aware of others opinions. I didnt say you have to agree.

The title of this thread is highly offensive and has triggered me. I'm having to seek out my grief counselor right now to help me deal with the emotional trauma you have caused me. I don't think that I'll ever be able to recover from what you have put me through. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Call my lawyers and sue me. I mean isn't that the ultimate expectation. Get some money or something in exchange for someone being insensitive. On the other hand I want to apologize to you and anyone else who may have been emotional distressed by my topic. I just am so ashamed of myself for not considering the feelings of others. I guess my years of being short, fat and bald have desensitized me to any emotional feelings so I'm unable to realize that folks are more sensitive than I. I will be giving an amount worthy of my errors in your honor MusicEagle to Buttercups and Snowflakes Sensitivity Camps located in Cotton Plant, AR. I just saw the updated Morgan and Morgan Lawyer ad...."Have you had any banana peels or cotton blooms put in your path? You may be entitled to a cash settlement! Call us at once."

Disclaimer: This was written with sarcasm and some wit. Please read as such and don't allow it to be some social statement nor position.

Reactions: Eagle 70
Im not going there. Whether we like it or not, we just need to be aware of others opinions. I didnt say you have to agree.

I'm of the opinion that one's opinion stops where my rights begin. I think just because folks want to create something out of nothing that I have to accept or acknowledge their position. Where do we stop......are we offending Muslims in this country with our manner of dressing, liquor,church crosses and 911 memorials? If we don't stop this crazy train then it can get out of control. I've been watching a WW2 series on Netflix. It is amazing to see how good people can be led wrong and hate the Jews and want them dead in a matter of years. We have to call out what's wrong or we'll allow the folks with agendas to rule and begin a thirst for Christians. Nero blamed the Christians for burning Rome and they were feed to the lions. Hitler blamed the Jews for Germans problems and they gassed them. Don't think that wrong opinions can't take root and grow beyond reason. Not understanding history causes it to be repeated.

I'm of the opinion that one's opinion stops where my rights begin. I think just because folks want to create something out of nothing that I have to accept or acknowledge their position. Where do we stop......are we offending Muslims in this country with our manner of dressing, liquor,church crosses and 911 memorials? If we don't stop this crazy train then it can get out of control. I've been watching a WW2 series on Netflix. It is amazing to see how good people can be led wrong and hate the Jews and want them dead in a matter of years. We have to call out what's wrong or we'll allow the folks with agendas to rule and begin a thirst for Christians. Nero blamed the Christians for burning Rome and they were feed to the lions. Hitler blamed the Jews for Germans problems and they gassed them. Don't think that wrong opinions can't take root and grow beyond reason. Not understanding history causes it to be repeated.
Not disagreeing with you at all. Just picking my battles on this one. You raise some good points.

Those damned cotton stalks will do it every time.

That's hilarious! It might make him feel better to know that my mostly white class in MS got tricked into the same field trip.

Sounds like some cotton grower got free kid labor picking his cotton. Get enough kids on field trips you fields will be picked clean. Ut oh....picked clean is that a racist term? I know that it can be traced to cotton being picked clean and chickens with their feathers removed were picked clean. So I may be on thin ice here.

As an African American reading this post; it is so disrespectful. I have come to realize that this site is where some come to post about race instead of sports. I am ending my subscription to this site. SMTTT.

to whoever has race hate in your heart; I hope you ask Jesus to remove the hate from it. Peace.

As an African American reading this post; it is so disrespectful. I have come to realize that this site is where some come to post about race instead of sports. I am ending my subscription to this site. SMTTT.

to whoever has race hate in your heart; I hope you ask Jesus to remove the hate from it. Peace.

It is pretty crazy. A lot of this board has just become where old white dudes vent about blacks and "PC culture" or whatever.

It is pretty crazy. A lot of this board has just become where old white dudes vent about blacks and "PC culture" or whatever.

So making light of folks getting upset over the display of cotton stalks gets the race card played. It is not so much about race as it is how easily young folks get offended today over little to nothing. I grew up in Jones County and know first hand how badly blacks were treated and how they had everything against them. I remember the truly offensive things as segregated schools, colored restrooms, color water fountains, colored entries into theaters, and windows at drive-ins marked colored only. I was around when OM, MSU and USM did not allow black students to attend. Many blacks my age led the fight for justice and equality. When a young person wants to take a stand over a display of cotton stalks whether at the dining table or on the shelf of a Hobby Lobby doesn't understand the true meaning of struggle nor racism. I see the media and Hollywood making jokes and insults about the president of the United States of American and all is well in the young minds. But make fun about cotton stalks and you are a hateful person. This is an upside down time in our society for sure. So Mr TDuncan are you just as offended with the treatment Donald Trump receives? How about how he has folks hating on him? You have to be careful when you invoke the name of Jesus and love. When you love you neighbor it has to be the same for Trump as it would be for Malcolm X.

i1ppq.jpg

Reactions: dn12005
I said I was staying out of these discussions, so I have deleted my previous replies.

I used to farm, grew cotton and soybeans. Was raised on a farm and I loved collard greens, home made mac and cheese, fried chicken, corn bread, butterbean, well you get the picture. We raised our own vegetables and grew our own meat,chickens,pork,beef,eggs. People get their feelings hurt to easily these days. To me that is the best food ever and it is not a slap in the face. If you come to my house that is the way we eat, we are country and I love it.

I see nothing wrong with the food. If you think collards / mac and cheese are racist then you need to grow a sack, period.

The cotton...come on that was just stupid. Might as well put out confederate flags napkins.

On the hand I wonder if any of the students clothing were cotton or cotton blended?

My parents are racist, not as bad as you'll find but pretty close. I overcame that at a early age. I credit the desegregation of schools mostly.

But I am so tired of hearing about race and seeing the race card played over BS, that I grow less and less tolerant everyday.

Sad.

If a pot smoking young black man can grow up to become President of this country....then a black man can become anything he sets his mind to.

Reactions: dn12005
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT