ADVERTISEMENT

I doubt very seriously that Todd Monken will go anywhere even

scotteagle

All Conference
Gold Member
Oct 30, 2002
if given a huge payday after this year. Our schedule in 2016 looks like 9-3, 10-2, or maybe even 11-1 potential with improving Kentucky and LSU (maybe with a new coach) as our toughest games. If TM is smart he will say no to a bigger pay day with other 'mid-majors' and lower level P5's and wait for better openings next year. I'll betcha Iowa State calls, as will Illinois, and Memphis. All 3 can pay double, or more, than we pay, but they are all death sentences. He would certainly go to South Carolina, LSU, or Miami but they won't be calling.
Next year, if he wins 9 or more games and his offense continues to shine he can get what he wants, and it ain't Iowa State.
So, will Larry Fedora leave UNC this year? I say if he can get Texas A&M (assuming Kevin Sumlin goes to USC) or LSU he'll will take it. The NCAA will drop the hammer on UNC and probably the football program, and we know L Fed is a climber anyway, so I think he will take the first train out of Chapel Hill. If he loses Gene Chizik as
DC whomever hires him is getting half a coaching staff. Chizik is being rumored for other programs out there anyway. He is again a hot defensive coaching commodity. All this has nothing to do with us, except I think Fedora will offer Dave Duggan a big salary wherever he goes, especially if he loses Chizik. Our AD needs to get Duggan and the staff under contract for next year.
Finally, the reason Memphis and Houston and schools like this are offering huge deals to their coaches isn't because they think they can outbid the major schools. They are actually trying to leverage higher buyouts, so if LSU or whomever is going to steal their coach, they will have to pay them handsomely. Traditionally we don't think like that. We should have a healthy buyout for us if Monken leaves. Even Arkansas State has a huge buyout if someone wants to hire Blake.

He could stay, if we pay him a million a year and his wife and kids like their current life style or he feels secure as much as a football coach can. There are lots of considerations. But 3 million a year buys a lot of consideration.

Put yourself in his position. Lets say you're making $125,000 at your accounting job in Hattiesburg, but a Fortune 500 outfit offers you $500,000 to move to Houston to work for them. What do you do?

Reactions: kirkleytrevor
I think, as opined above, all the talk about him leaving on the internet is premature. I think he stays one more year....hopefully longer. But it is nice to have a coach that folks want.

I believe Monkens pay was lower than Fedora's when he was first hired. This due to our bad financial situation after buying out EJ and his staff. Monken's contract is full of bonus's for winning certain number of games, division, conference, bowls, and such. If our situation financially has improved (like the new coke deal) and attendance rises next year due to the teams improvement, then I could see us offering Monken a new contract with more money than he makes now. So we can possibly offer him and his staff pay raises soon, if not right after this season.

As far as a lower level P5 team offering him more money. He still has a loosing record as a head coach, for a team that went for so long without having loosing records. Regardless of this one improved season, most other schools will not be impressed. Also, we have not beaten a single team with a winning record so far. So that would keep him from some offers, or much money.

I say 2 more years if we can win 10 games in 2 seasons between now, next year and 2017, and win a conference championship in that timeframe, he can get more money in a lower level P5 school. Assuming by that time we can't offer him an Ellis Johnson type contract ourselves. Keep in mind, we paid him well for that disaster, and part of our financial problems now are due to having to pay him off. Once that is cleared, I think we will be in a lot better shape.

I may be wrong but I think he's having too much fun this year at Southern Miss to run off to somewhere else. I think he'd like to see this thing through for a few more years.

There is more work for him to do before he leaves...a great start...but more work to do and goals to accomplish...

He'll be gone. I understand your desire to see him stay, but we're a stepping stone school. He's going to be gone when the schools come calling.

No Monken is highly regarded in the Coaching profession and has never had trouble getting a job so I think he will not leave for a Memphis or Houston but will wait for a job he really wants. I don't see how A LSU or South Carolina type job would move after this one successful year I hope we have him another year and two would be great. We will have a little more money to sweeten his pot Bet Mc trys to push him to 950 or 1 million a year with 500,000 buyout.

Reactions: scotteagle
What sucks is that if we win the C-USA championship this year our chances of loosing our coach doubles. I love Monken but when we had Jeff Bower we didn't have to worry about stuff like this our coach was in it for the long haul. USM has turned into a temporary job for young upcoming coaches and I don't like it personally.

What sucks is that if we win the C-USA championship this year our chances of loosing our coach doubles. I love Monken but when we had Jeff Bower we didn't have to worry about stuff like this our coach was in it for the long haul. USM has turned into a temporary job for young upcoming coaches and I don't like it personally.
I understand your point. And it is kind of microcosm of major league sports after free agency where teams turn over so often it's hard to build loyal fan bases. But the truth is that every job except probably Alabama is a stepping stone. Coaches who win, and not even win big, just winners have a real opportunity to make life changing money, garner a modicum of financial security for their families, and build lucrative retirement portfolios is very real. Plus, coaches, the good ones, have egos. They want to win and win at the highest level. That's the coach we want. I don't want a coach who wants to win 6-9 games a year and stay 20 years and retire. I want a coach the world recognizes as a great coach and until we can pay 4 mil a year, we will always be subject to having our coach plucked, that is if we hire a good one. No one wanted Ellis. I wish TM would stay 10 years

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT