ADVERTISEMENT

Gold Pub hosting the Colonel Reb Tour.....

I'm not upset I just think its bad business. I guarantee his business will suffer more in the long run. Hate to see it but he is clearly a poor business man in terms of a long-term vision. Too bad...I really liked that place.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

HBDE, I think you should tell him that he is not a big time Southern Miss supporter, and tell him why he is so wrong for booking his restaurant for this event, or tell John Neal how wrong he is very hosting the MSU event every year.

You know, for all the USM friends I have had over the years that have fought the battle in the trenches against Ole Miss trying to shut down our school, I am ashamed of some of the posts in this thread. Just wave the white flag. After all we must be second class fans compared to Colonel Reb fans if we need their damn money that bad at a business that advertises itself as a place full of USM themes for USM fans to gather and spend their money.

Originally posted by KICKING TEE:
HBDE, I think you should tell him that he is not a big time Southern Miss supporter, and tell him why he is so wrong for booking his restaurant for this event, or tell John Neal how wrong he is very hosting the MSU event every year.

I will tell him. Why wouldn't I?
This post was edited on 6/18 12:49 AM by HowBoutDemEagles

Why don't you tell that to Johnny. The man has made a business decision, if it is a bad one in the long run, he will suffer. It could very well give him the boost he needs to stay open until the university is in full swing. There is no question that he and his whole family are great Southern Miss supporters. Business is business!!

Just to be devil's advocate:

Think of a bar in Oxford named "Col. Reb's Pub and Grill" that sells out to host a USM alumni event. How do you think that would go over in Oxford?

I, personally, will never go back to this place. Y'all can do what you want. I'm just saying. End Zone just got 100% of my business.

Never been and don't know the owners. Hope they have a great turn out.

They are running a business not a club. What a joke if this bothers you.

As a business owner myself, I agree with the idea that times are tough. Although I dont really understand this move on his part, business is to tough these days to turn down money. Still the whole situation is very confusing.

Will never go there again. Wild Wings is a chain they do whatever. If southern was playing then it would take priority at mugs. Just go to Old Athen and be completely had

Tuesday @ The Golden Corral in McComb.

roll.gif

Pretty proud to say the End Zone never lost my business.

Reading this thread, its no wonder Sweet Peppers has two successful locations in Hattiesburg.

perspective....

Originally posted by Shifty_Eagle:
Think of a bar in Oxford named "Col. Reb's Pub and Grill" that sells out to host a USM alumni event.

How do you think that would go over in Oxford?

ummm, I'm guessing prolly not to good.

If I owned Gold Pub I wouldn't host the event. However, in reading the article, it appears that the Col. Reb Foundation is actually at odds with the OM administration and critical of it. It is the formal outgrowth of dissention and division within the OM family. This group is anti-black bear and vocal about. An argument could be made that---anything that creates division within their fanbase and makes them look stupid is not so bad. So, even though I wouldn't be associated with it, there is another way to look at it. Someone should put on a KKK robe and show up waving an M flag---that could get some good publicity for them.

God bless 'em, I hope they took all of that old miss money!
BUsiness is business! They are USM fans and support our program but that doesn't mean they should turn down blue & red $$$.

Now if they started taking down our gear & replacing it permanently with black bear stuff that would be different...

Question...

If I'm a USM alum, long time supporter of USM athetics, season-ticket holder in 3 sports, supporter of the business school and my wife and I both serve as advisors for our respective sorority and fraternity, yet I went to Ole Miss to obtain my law degree versus MC (where I would have paid 3x as much for school), does that make me a sellout too?

Re: Question...

Originally posted by GoldenSmack:
If I'm a USM alum, long time supporter of USM athetics, season-ticket holder in 3 sports, supporter of the business school and my wife and I both serve as advisors for our respective sorority and fraternity, yet I went to Ole Miss to obtain my law degree versus MC (where I would have paid 3x as much for school), does that make me a sellout too?

Are you a season ticket holder of Ole Miss?

Nope... been back to Oxford x2 since I left over 13 years ago, both for business reasons. Don't really like the place.

I'm so mad...THAT I'M GOING TO LEAVE A BIGGER TIP THE NEXT TIME I GO!!!!

Yall crack me up!!!!! Instead of huffing and puffing over this owner's decision...you need to look at the bigger picture (again...)

...Why would an owner even accept such a proprosition in the first place? Could it be....because there's a large number of Ole Miss fans in Hattiesburg??!?!

USM doesn't have ANYTHING going on during that time. He's not denying USM patrons. And honestly, he probably will dislike it personally. But, he's running a business.

If anything, yall should be figuring out ways to buy out this function to spit in the faces of Ole Miss alum and fans while helping out this bar.

Instead, yall just exposed yourselves as being fair weather fans of the place and not caring about any type of economic struggles that owner might face.

In some of yalls minds it would be better if he had a stagnant couple of days than accept money to keep his business afloat or whatnot.

I don't care if he accepted money to host Islamic extremists...as long as he doesn't change his bar for them, and doesn't cover up the USM garb in there...I'll still go!

How great will the photos look that show up in the paper of the Col. Reb folks with nothing but USM gear in the background?

Awesome I say. They aren't an OM group but rather a dissenter group.

I guess Ole Miss fans were right.... some USM fans really do have little brother syndrome.

HBDE, why are you reading an Ole Miss blog? You know when you click and link that for other folks to click, the host gets ad money and traffic. Not That I care to be honest.

I wonder if this thread would even have more than 2 replies if the GoldPub was renting out for some Central Florida fans? Probably not.
This post was edited on 6/18 8:38 AM by Funkyfedoras

Nope... been back to Oxford x2 since I left over 13 years ago, both for business reasons. Don't really like the place.

Then its a silly question and your comparsion is apples to tabacso sauce.

Originally posted by Standing in EE:

Then its a silly
question and your comparsion is apples to tabacso sauce.

Kind of like comparing this to sweet peppers and the bond issue.
This post was edited on 6/18 8:47 AM by Funkyfedoras

Originally posted by hotrock11:

I don't care if he accepted money to host Islamic extremists...as long as he doesn't change his bar for them, and doesn't cover up the USM garb in there...I'll still go!

Thats a mouthful.

You never really know what their financial situation is...if you have someone willing to pay and things have been rough, you got to do what you got to do to stay afloat...the restaurant business has the lowest success rate of any other type of work...

Originally posted by Funkyfedoras:

Originally posted by Standing in EE:

Then its a silly question and your comparsion is apples to tabacso sauce.

Kind of like comparing this to sweet peppers and the bond issue.

This post was edited on 6/18 8:47 AM by Funkyfedoras

Was that a comparsion? I don't think so.

While I get upset at business not supporting USM in the burg as much as the next guy, this is one that does. Just because they do it does not mean we own them. I don't see a problem here. It is one function. He still supports us as a priority. Are we trying to offend even our friends and supporters now. I will go out of my way to go back there let him know I support him and appreciate his support of our fine university. I believe in picking my battles. Sweetpeppers is a good choice if I want to fight one. I will never go there under any circumstances, even if it was free.

EE maybe I took your post wrong, but to me it looks like you are saying folks that still support goldpub in this thread.... are the same kind of folks that would/do support SP.

To me that is a comparison. Apologies if I am taking it the wrong way.

USM fans are going to protest USM supporters out of business. To The Top!
rolleyes.gif

Pathetic. Find something worth getting raged about.

This post was edited on 6/18 1:51 PM by USM08

No GoldenSmack going to Old Piss to get your Law degree does not make you a sell out to USM. Just becoming a lawyer does. lol

The Gold Pub will get more business than it loses because of this. I'll keep going. SMTTT

Originally posted by Eagle 70:
The Gold Pub will get more business than it loses because of this. I'll keep going. SMTTT

In late on this one. However, it seems by the number of posts in the thread he is trading some future regulars for a single night event. If you support him you would hope it is not a sign the business is hurting that bad.

I don't think anyone in the thread said he should turn people away because they support OM/wear a shirt in. However, hosting an event is something entirely different. Some of you may be okay with that. Others are not. From that standpoint it looks like a bad long-term business decision. It's Marketing 101. If you successfully establish an identity you stick with it and work hard to cultivate your core, not alienate some of them.

Several of the people posting on here against the Gold Pub hang out at the End Zone so they won't be coming here. And the other posters have their favorite hang outs.

Originally posted by Eagle 70:
so they won't be coming here..

Here? If you are the owner of Gold Pub maybe it would be a good idea to make your case in a post so those upset understand better. If you aren't the owner, or someone cloasely associated, I guess I didn't understand the "here" in your post.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT