ADVERTISEMENT

Future Southern Miss football teammates root for each other at state baseball championships from the CL

Ktveagle

Key Reserve
Gold Member
Feb 10, 2010
On June 11, quarterback Ty Keyes and athlete Chandler Pittman will officially be teammates for Southern Miss football.

However, on Wednesday, the duo were in the midst of fighting to add baseball state championships to the football titles at their respective high schools.

In December, Pittman, Mr. 3A Football, led Magee to a 12-0 season and the school's first football championship in 20 years.

And Keyes, Mr. 2A Football and the back-to-back Mississippi Gatorade Football Player of the Year, led the Tartars to the third football championship of his high school career.

The pair is one win from being crowned baseball champions. Taylorsville defeated East Union 5-1 on Wednesday in Game 1 of its best-of-three series in the 2A championship, and Magee beat Booneville 6-3 on Tuesday in Game 1 of the 3A championship.

"I watched (Magee's) game yesterday," Keyes said. "I'm glad they won it. Chandler, he's a great player, and I hope they can do it tomorrow and win it all."

Pittman will get his chance Thursday (4 p.m.), and Keyes will get his Friday (1 p.m.). If either loses, they will get get a second chance this weekend.

BEST OF THE BEST:Meet the Clarion Ledger 2020 All-State Football Team

ANOTHER ONE:Southern Miss signee Ty Keyes repeats as Mississippi Gatorade Football Player of the Year

"I'm really just focused on getting one more win," said Pittman, who had an RBI in the Trojans' win. "I do this for my brothers, the guys that didn't get that ring in football. It's a special place for them, and it's just a special moment for them to even be here. I'm working hard, and I'm playing my heart out for those guys."

Keyes led the Tartars with two hits and two RBIs.

"It feels great to get one game closer," Keyes said. "We're not finished yet. We still have to get the job done; come back Friday and win it all."

Pittman will move in to Southern Miss the day after he plays in the 3A-4A D.M. Howie All-Star Baseball Game on June 10 at William Carey. Keyes said he plans on moving in Sunday.

The two headline new Golden Eagles coach Will Hall's first recruiting class. Southern Miss signed eight of Mississippi's top 46 football prospects from the class of 2021, the most of any other program, according to the 247Sports Composite rankings.

america-forward_2x.png

SUBSCRIBER EXCLUSIVE

America Forward​

Explore how the pandemic has shaped our world in your monthly subscriber magazine
Read Now in the e-Edition
Pittman originally committed to Ole Miss before decommitting last year in March, a few months after new Rebels' coach Lane Kiffin took over. Keyes originally committed to Tulane, but he followed Hall, who served as the Green Wave's offensive coordinator, to Hattiesburg.

Keyes was a member of the 2020 Clarion Ledger Dandy Dozen, and Pittman was a 2020 Clarion Ledger Player to Watch. Both were named to the 2020 Clarion Ledger All-State Football Team.

Keyes is looking forward to proving himself at Southern Miss.

"You're going to get the best out of me," Keyes said. "I'm going to compete every day, on and off the field. I'm going to be a leader to the community."

Contact Rashad Milligan at 601-862-6198 or Jmilligan@gannett.com. Follow @RashadMilligan on Twitter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News