ADVERTISEMENT

Expansion Rumor

SoMissFan

Starter
Jul 29, 2001
Cincinnati and Memphis to the Big 12 (see link below). If you google it, there are a lot of other media outlets carrying the story, so it would appear to be a rumor with some legs. The article makes several interesting points which makes it very plausible.

1. Financially Cincinnati is making the facility upgrades that the Big 12 would require. And the FedEx CEO is fully opening his checkbook for Memphis as well.
2. West Virginia had been hanging out there by itself, geographically speaking, since joining the Big 12. The addition of Cincinnati and Memphis would tie West Virginia into the conference .
3. The Big 12 is facing penalties for not having a Big 12 title game, and effectively have a tie for 1st place this season. Adding two new members will take care of that.

I think the main appeal of both of these schools is that they would bring traditionally strong basketball programs to the Big 12, which added to Kansas, Kansas State, Texas, and OSU would make it a truly elite basketball conference. Despite Memphis' fluke season in football this year, it's obvious the Big 12 has no expectations out of them for football. They would be battling Iowa State for last place year in and year out. Cincinnati might manage to become competitive in football at the Big 12 level over time.

So the obvious question is if these two leave the AAC, it's likely the AAC will once again be pulling two teams from C-USA to fill the open spots. So who will it be? Which teams in our conference have the greatest market share, since that seems to be the only thing that the AAC is interested in?

And of course, if the above happens which 3 teams will Britton Banowsky add to C-USA?

This post was edited on 12/6 6:44 PM by SoMissFan

Rumor of Memphis & Cincinnati to the Big 12

The AAC needs to have enough teams for a championship game too. Who knows which schools they'll take.

Originally posted by Houston Eagle:
"So you're saying there's a possibility?"
Gee I hope so. We really, really need to get invited to a conference that might be losing it's champion and one of it's better members, and this same conference is already rated the second worst football conference in the nation (yes below CUSA). Maybe with the lose of Memphis and Cincinnati it can drop to the worst when we join. That would be great.

zero chance of a team who is 1-23 in conference USA since 2011 getting an invite to another conference. Please cease even dreaming about this.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Besides, we don't have enough TV sets. Look for Rice, Old Dominion, MTSU, or one of those Florida schools to move to the AAC. Maybe even Marshall since they've had a movie made about them.

Originally posted by crawgator:
... Marshall since they've had a movie made about them.

ESPN should commision a 30-for-30 film about Ellis Johnson's destruction of the once proud football program at USM. I'm being serious.

Good job, guys! Yet again, we don't need anyone to fight against us and speak poorly of our school. We already do a great job of that! Let's try to talk about the good things USM has to offer. There should be no reason whatsoever that we don't try to get into another conference like our life depends on it! Stop being such a buzz kill. Southern Miss is an outstanding school athletically and has a lot to offer other conferences. Let someone from outside the USM community tell us otherwise. Stop being an obstacle.

Originally posted by ALeagle:
Good job, guys! Yet again, we don't need anyone to fight against us and speak poorly of our school. We already do a great job of that! Let's try to talk about the good things USM has to offer. There should be no reason whatsoever that we don't try to get into another conference like our life depends on it! Stop being such a buzz kill. Southern Miss is an outstanding school athletically and has a lot to offer other conferences. Let someone from outside the USM community tell us otherwise. Stop being an obstacle.
If Southern Miss was wanted, they would have been take already.

/thread

Houston High will probably be begging their way back into CUSA soon. The AAC turned out to be an absolute joke.

This post was edited on 12/21 9:36 PM by Legendary Eagle

Originally posted by Legendary Eagle:
Houston High will probably be begging their way back into CUSA soon. The AAC turned out to be an absolute joke.

This post was edited on 12/21 9:36 PM by Legendary EagleStill better than what is now CUSA. What's even funnier is the fact that you along with the rest of your fellow South Mississippi fans are crying about not being in the AAC.

look at CUSA Bowl record. Coug you have to admit little better than expected

Originally posted by fiveeagles:

More or less but at the same time, look who the opponents were.

So Legendary, you'd rather play teams with acronyms that nobody even knows the meaning than teams like East Carolina, South Florida, Central Florida, SMU, Tulane or Houston. Really???????? That my friend is why we are here today bitching about our sorry ass conference, etc. Because of complacent idiots like you. The AAC in terms of respect is worlds ahead of our pathetic pitiful excuse of a conference lineup. I don't give two rats ass about bowl wins this year etc....just like nobody else does. We could sweep our conference and wouldn't get a sniff in the playoff system. We'd at least have a fighting chance in the AAC.

Originally posted by THE HEAD EAGLE:
So Legendary, you'd rather play teams with acronyms that nobody even knows the meaning than teams like East Carolina, South Florida, Central Florida, SMU, Tulane or Houston. Really???????? That my friend is why we are here today bitching about our sorry ass conference, etc. Because of complacent idiots like you. The AAC in terms of respect is worlds ahead of our pathetic pitiful excuse of a conference lineup. I don't give two rats ass about bowl wins this year etc....just like nobody else does. We could sweep our conference and wouldn't get a sniff in the playoff system. We'd at least have a fighting chance in the AAC.
Thank you.....the AAC is light years ahead of where we are now and it's by teams we owned for many many years.....don't see it happening but it would be nice to play those teams again in that conference

You really get excited by the likes of UCF, USF, Tulane, SMU, Houston, etc.? Really? None of them are exciting. Nobody outside of their respective cities knows or cares about them. They are just familiar. Marshall would have played in the Sugar, Orange, or Fiesta had the not choked. CUSA finished rated higher than the AAC. The difference in revenue between CUSA and the AAC is nearly non-existent. It's actually a huge net loss in revenue when you factor the millions of dollars in exit and entry fees, and the increased travel expenses. Word is that Houston regrets their decision horribly. Everyone in the conference is looking to leave.

But everyone here knows that you are just a poser. You hate USM, and you do nothing but complain and whine about everything. You would complain if we got invited to the SEC or Big 12. So keep on whining and complaining. You are nothing.

Now I remember why I left this board long ago. Looks like it has turned into Eagle Post junior...

Nah, it's even worse than EP. These guys are probably EP rejects that aren't even welcome there. This free board needs to be shut down.

Originally posted by SKIT2011:

Thank you.....the AAC is light years ahead of where we are now and it's by teams we owned for many many years.....don't see it happening but it would be nice to play those teams again in that conference
It's being reported that SMU is laying off 100 employees because of the amount of money they've lost from moving to the AAC. If a wealthy private school is hurting that badly, imagine how bad it would be for us.

Originally posted by CougarKing:

How did this opponent work our for ya asshat
Southern-Miss-Gold-Eagles-vs-Georgia.jpg

First - The Big 12 should sit tight with their current teams. They will not need to expand as ESPN will come to them when they are forced to raise more TV money and interest in the bowls by expanding the playoff teams from 4 to 8 or even 16 teams. If the big 12 remains the same size they will not have to divide their pot with two losers.

Second - As for the AAC, they are a dog conference just like ours. They are on the outside looking in just like our conference. The sun belt conference is close to both C-USA and ACC as well. The only conferences worth moving to is one of the super 5.

Originally posted by USM76:
First - The Big 12 should sit tight with their current teams. They will not need to expand as ESPN will come to them when they are forced to raise more TV money and interest in the bowls by expanding the playoff teams from 4 to 8 or even 16 teams. If the big 12 remains the same size they will not have to divide their pot with two losers.

Second - As for the AAC, they are a dog conference just like ours. They are on the outside looking in just like our conference. The sun belt conference is close to both C-USA and ACC as well. The only conferences worth moving to is one of the super 5.
I just came across the article linked below. It came out about two weeks ago, where the commissioner of the Big 12 says they will stay at ten teams for one of the reasons you stated- the other programs don't want to split the pie with two additional members. If the Big 12 continues to get shut out of the playoffs during the next few years you have to wonder if they will still be satisfied staying at ten teams.

Is expansion of the playoff system inevitable? And if it is, are we talking in two or three years- or will it be ten or fifteen years down the road the same way it took the BCS bowl system to change?

Also, many people have suggested that having an 8 team playoff with the highest ranked team from the group of five conferences would be an acceptable method of inclusion. Yet most years the team selected from the group of five conferences will receive the #8 seed and will be forced to play the #1 seed in its first playoff game. That likely means that 9 times out of 10 the representative from our conferences will be eliminated year after year in the first round of the playoffs. When that occurs, will we still consider it acceptable inclusion in the playoff system?

Big 12 staying at ten teams

If you haven't noticed, USM has taken a financial beating in sports and academics in the last couple of years. It's ugly.

Having said that, CUSA sucks donkey balls. Do I get excited about playing East Carolina, South Florida, etc??? Uh, a hell of a lot more excited than playing the likes of teams I've never heard of.

"hey, we play UTSA this weekend!!" Oh, great, who the f#@# is that? Good lord, I have to google these teams now to know who we play. It's a joke.

This post was edited on 1/16 8:56 AM by THE HEAD EAGLE

"Word is Houston regrets their decision horribly."

Lol where did you hear that bs Legendary Eagle? The same guy who told you that going to the Hawaii bowl and hiring Ellis Johnson were good ideas?

We just built a new 40,000 seat stadium, fired our coach for going a mediocre 7-5, hired a coach who just won a national championship and just gave him a two million dollar budget to hire whichever assistants he wants. While we obviously don't have as deep pockets as a P5 school typically does, to say we've taken a huge financial hit is asinine.

We will never come back to CUSA, we have our sights set on following in Louisville's footsteps and so far, we are on the right track.

We will never come back to CUSA, we have our sights set on following in Louisville's footsteps and so far, we are on the right track.
ROTFL!!!! That's good stuff. Cougar High peaked a few years ago...then promptly got b!tch slapped by USM in THEIR OWN STADIUM!
roll.r191677.gif

Answer my question Legendary Eagle. Look at where UH is at and look where Southern Miss is at, the only one who peaked is USM. We on the other hand have a promising young quarterback and a promising young head coach and the potential for our school is limitless.

Where are you at? A mediocre school in a conference that ranked BEHIND CUSA. And you spent millions of dollars to get there. Ask the 100 people SMU laid off how well the move worked out for them. Cougar high is a third rate school that the people of Texas laugh at, and is 4th or 5th in popularity in your own city. USM will be just fine. Enjoy your continued role in life as a nobody.

You haven't made any. Theorizing about what Houston might do is not a point that needs to be disputed. I am the only one presenting actual facts here.

CougarKing, your ignorance is showing. You ought to check CUSA's bowl record against the Power 5 lately before you make negative posts like that. We have been kicking butt. With fans like you who needs the SEC to hate us.

Why did the chicken cross the road.
Answer so he wouldn't have to play So Miss.

Nuff said Cougar queen I mean king

There is dissension in the Houston administration regarding the move to the AAC, and there honestly should be, they were sold a bill of goods that turned out to be a cracker jack prize verses a shiny new Mercedes. The Big East dangled some big carrots in front of Boise first and secondly Houston promising continued BCS status using their rankings to prop up their own conferences falling rankings in the BCS. Houston and the first invites were promised a ten million dollar TV contract to go along with becoming members of arguably the second best basketball conference prior to the new additions, and they were promised better bowl access.

What happened though was far from that, the TV contract was crumbs compared to the promised one, the Big East basketball teams left and took the name with them, the BCS evaporated leaving the new AAC no better off than CUSA, MWC, and the rest of the gang of five, then they go hit with the notice that Tulane was added taking one of the basement dwellers from CUSA.

Yes, Houston higher ups have a right to be upset at their situation, they got promised the world and got bent over instead. Houston is more than likely looking at options of getting out of the new P.U. league, but there is a better chance of the SEC inviting Southern Miss than the ACC inviting Houston, that was pretty laughable.

I'd still rather be playing East Carolina, Houston, Cincy, Central Florida, Tulsa, etc. than Northwest Texas San Antonio and all the other directional zero history having schools we play now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT