ADVERTISEMENT

D1Baseball Weekly Chat: May 6 Good Discussion on Southern Miss, other Sunbelt teams, Tight Strike Zones and Cheating Pitchers

BirminghamEagle

BGN Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Oct 28, 2002
Birmingham, AL
Rigsby: Thoughts on Southern Miss sweeping Coastal? Good win for USM with the drop in RPI for Coastal?
Kendall Rogers: Thought USM played a pretty complete series which hasn’t happened a ton this year outside of the Indiana State weekend. USM is in a good spot right now with a 31-17 overall record, RPI of 42 and 15-9 league record. The Golden Eagles won’t be hosting, but they’re playing a better brand of baseball at the right time.

Guest: 5 non ranked teams that you believe can make a Super Regional
Aaron Fitt: Ooh I love this question! Dallas Baptist for sure, I really like the talent on that club and they’re due for an Omaha run, like ECU. Kansas State and Northeastern because I’m stubborn and refuse to quit those guys. UNCW, Southern Miss.

Mason: At this point in Sun Belt play the four preseason favorites have all played each other and no one is the consensus best, Troy lost to USM, UL lost to Troy and Coastal, Coastal lost to USM and Troy, USM lost to UL. What are you guys take aways from the Fun Belt? Whats the post season prognosis look like for those four teams
Aaron Fitt: I’ll talk some more Fun Belt since I just made an SBC trip this weekend. It’s crazy to say this, but right now Coastal doesn’t belong in the same breath with those other three consensus favorites from the preseason. The Chants are 11-13 in the league now, tied for 8th place, and their at-large hopes are on life support, even with that 32 RPI. Troy, UL and USM all feel like strong bets for regionals after the events of this weekend — had a feeling the Golden Eagles would make a charge down the stretch, and here they come. I walked away from Troy this weekend thinking that both the Trojans and Cajuns are legit teams that could win a regional. I like UL’s arms more and its position players are solid, with a true superstar in DeBarge. Troy’s offense is elite, tons of discipline and power and length in the lineup. Both teams that will be very dangerous in the postseason.

Ricky: Sun Belt Questions: Who is your pick for Player of the Year and Pitcher of the Year?
Aaron Fitt: Banks Tolley has had a ridiculous year for App State, best OPS in the league in conference-only action, plus 14 HR in Sun Belt play! He’d be a top contender, but I might still lean Kyle DeBarge — best player on the top team in the league, and the elite defense at short really elevates him. And he’s third in the SBC in OPS in conference games, so offense isn’t too shabby either. Certainly Brooks Bryan also deserves strong consideration, a catcher putting up huge numbers, leading the nation in RBIs. Pitcher feels wide open, but I keep hearing good things about Bryce Blevins from Marshall, and he’s been a workhorse. I lean that way.

Jordan: If the Cajuns win 2 of 3 the last two series are they comfortably in for at large no matter what happens in SBC tournament? SunBelt is crazy right now
Aaron Fitt: I think so. If they win the regular-season title, and I think they will, they they should be fine even with a less than ideal RPI in the 50s, say.

Jim: More of a general comment/question, but would love to hear some thoughts on the overall state of college pitching? ERA’s feel very high this year nationwide. It’s eye opening to see only a handful of teams have ERA’s under 4.00. Is the pitching quality taking a step back? Are the hitters just getting better and better? Strike zones getting smaller?
Kendall Rogers: Jim — great question. We are in the TrackMan era when it comes to strike zones. I think umpires have very tight zones, and when you have very tight windows to throw into, hitters know that. Combine that with a current ball that absolutely flies and it’s the perfect storm for the offense … and the pitching. That’s what makes what guys like Hagen Smith are doing seem remarkable — and Paul Skenes last year.

Doug: Any thoughts on how NCAA should handle the programs/players who cheat – Specifically with regards to spider tack and bat tampering? Right now, the umps don’t want to deal with it when opposing coaches point it out, but the programs who hold their players to high standards are at a competitive disadvantage. Checking pitchers like MLB, more authority to umps, harsher punishments for coaching staffs? It’s getting bad in some programs and seems unlikely to correct itself.
Kendall Rogers: I think the solution is that the NCAA, at the least, should check hands in the NCAA tournament. I get that it is difficult to throw that on the umpires in conference with everything else going on throughout the game, but I do think we need to ensure integrity in the postseason.

Reactions: Ktveagle
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News