ADVERTISEMENT

D1 Baseball - Rogers Rewind: Everything we learned from Week Eight + RPI/DSR thoughts (Southern Miss and Sunbelt mentions)

BirminghamEagle

BGN Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Oct 28, 2002
Birmingham, AL

More info about DSR - https://d1baseball.com/news/643charts-d1baseball-collaborate-to-launch-diamond-sports-rankings/#:~:text=Unlike RPI, which primarily focuses,insight into a team's performance.

Another huge week of college baseball action is in the books, and in this week’s column, I touch on a lot of teams plus analyze some intriguing rankings in both the RPI and DSR rankings.

– Louisiana is the hottest team in college baseball (they enter top 25 at 19)

I really liked what the Cajuns had on the mound when I saw them a few weeks ago at the Astros Foundation Classic, but I’d be lying if I said I thought the offense would be rocking and rolling at this point. The Cajuns looked like a team with a very long way to go in that department. Good thing they have an offensive master in Matt Deggs leading the charge. The Cajuns have been getting plenty of offensive production in conference play thus far. They’re hitting .305 in league play, and several guys have stepped up offensively. Kyle DeBarge has been on a tear in league play with a .386 average, 1.178 OPS, four homers and 16 RBIs, while Jose Torres, John Taylor, Conor Higgs, and Duncan Pastore have all heated up since conference play began. Then, there’s the pitching staff, which has continued to perform at a high level with a 2.66 league ERA. Andrew Herrmann, fab freshman Chase Morgan, Matthew Holzhammer and LP Langevin have been outstanding in Sun Belt play. Overall, the Cajuns have formed into the team I thought they could be coming into the season — balanced, and very dangerous. The RPI is still not Cajuns-friendly just yet at 50, but the DSR has the Cajuns at a much more accurate No. 26.

KyleDeBarge1.jpg

– Some RPI rankings that have my attention:

* Indiana State is right back in the saddle once again this season from an RPI standpoint. The Sycamores would’ve entered our Top 25 this week if not for a midweek loss to IU. The Sycs’ RPI? An impressive 12. (mentioned this since Southern Miss won the series)

Some DSR rankings that have my attention
* Louisiana is another team that I feel has a poor ranking in the RPI vs. reality. RPI has the Ragin’ Cajuns at 50. The DSR? The Cajuns are up to 25, which again, for a top team in the Sun Belt, is a more accurate depiction of where this team stands on the national stage.

* DSR looks to be more accurate on Southern Miss than the RPI. The RPI has USM at 44 while the DSR has the Golden Eagles at 31, which seems to be more accurate for a team with series wins over Indiana State and Louisiana Tech, and who has just one series loss (Georgia Southern) this season.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News