ADVERTISEMENT

UConn reported to be leaving AAC conference...

Imperative that we exit CUSA at all costs! Followed the baseball team’s postseason run via audio. Other than that, I’ve become extremely apathetic. CUSA is a dumpster heap. Nobody respects any team in this conference. We are an after thought on the national level. Sad. Barely follow the football team anymore. I mean, what’s the point? We play start up programs!! I only follow USM sports at a distance now.....the occasional like on FB, etc for big wins. We deserve more.

If Tulane (which is on the schedule) can do it, then so can USM. Such a thing would mean a gutted and rebuilt basketball coliseum, much better TV, more money and life. This is McClain's first HUGE test.

The AAC will do what ESPN tells them to do.

Beyond that almost none of them want us there. Its all based on media markets, and no one considers us as having any inroads to Mobile, AL or New Orleans thanks to South Alabama and Tulane. New Orleans market is the ONLY reason Tulane got in in the first place, and most of those schools in that conference would like to boot Tulane if given a chance.

The TV market argument should have died with the newspaper. The last one I bought was used to light my bar b que grill.

We can't try to get into a better conference so our budget will grow, we have to have a bigger budget BEFORE we ever have a chance to leave CUSA.

Reactions: sburg
I have a question about this, and I want to keep my question and you guys responses in reality.
My question is this... Why would another conference (above CUSA) want us? What is the upside for them?
Is it a quality baseball program and facilities? Well OK then.
Is it a quality basketball program and facilities? No way Jose.
Is it a quality football program and facilities? Not so much anymore. ESPECIALLY Facilities.
Quality Soccer, Softball, etc.
Honestly our facilities, even the new volleyball place, are mediocre compared to what others are shelling out. Example, go look at what South Alabama is investing in.
Give me some reasons, real reasons, why someone wants us. Please! I need something good to get me out of the dumps!

Reactions: Sosodude00
Those are all valid points. What university can control is its desire to leave and communicating that dream. They simply haven't done that. East Carolina made it clearly known that they weren't satisfied in CUSA. The last USM AD that made any attempt to communicate that dire need was Pecos Bill part II before leaving for San Diego. My plan:
1.) Start a capital campaign to raise funds to rebuild Reed Green. Start the rebuild with what is already available. USM finally has a partner with the City of Hattiesburg. Reed Green can be multipurpose, not only basketball.
2.)Commincate a dire need to leave and plan to do so. For whatever reason, the university has feared some type of J.R. Ewing type of retribution for speaking out against the conference.

3.) Start partnering more with private businesses to raise revenue. Think outside the box. Imagine not having to depend on solely tax dollars.

Houston,
All good points. If anyone has seen the facility in Athens at UGA, you can get an idea of expanding RG outward and leaving a good chunk of the interior intact. Georgia kind of has that where you have a glass and steel exterior, you walk in from there into large concourses with update consession areas and rest rooms, lots of walking space. Then going inward another ring of suites and offices before finally getting to the seating area. In addition, they built new training facilities outside the arena but connected them to the arena through tunnels. it is a good looking facility in the heart of the "new" campus area.

I'm afraid that with RG, we will have to start from scratch because of all the asbestos inside that thing.
Meanwhile we keep discussing it here, the university either is doing nothing or studying the situation, while the train of progress keeps moving down the tracks further from us.

What I am tired of the fact that the university administration has been unwilling to do what it takes. There is an old saying, "can't" means "won't". I didn't think about asbestos....then again RGC was new when The Beatles came out with Rubber Soul.

I have a question about this, and I want to keep my question and you guys responses in reality.
My question is this... Why would another conference (above CUSA) want us? What is the upside for them?
Is it a quality baseball program and facilities? Well OK then.
Is it a quality basketball program and facilities? No way Jose.
Is it a quality football program and facilities? Not so much anymore. ESPECIALLY Facilities.
Quality Soccer, Softball, etc.
Honestly our facilities, even the new volleyball place, are mediocre compared to what others are shelling out. Example, go look at what South Alabama is investing in.
Give me some reasons, real reasons, why someone wants us. Please! I need something good to get me out of the dumps!

"Why would another conference (above CUSA) want us? What is the upside for them?"

Bc we have a brand that will draw ticket sales (and therefore more revenue) more so than any other school that is a legit candidate. BYU and Boise St are not going tot he AAC. Army is not going and also isn't all that big of a draw (remember when they were in CUSA before?). Who are the other potential candidates? Old Dominion....Charlotte? LOL. Memphis, ECU, Tulane, Houston and most any other school knows USM would draw more attendance to football games. That is enough reason alone. It is in their own self-interest bc they will make more money. With UCONN gone, there is one less "no" vote for USM to get an invite.

Hopefully, Jeremy has been lobbying to all the AAC ADs. Memphis, Tulane and ECU would be crazy to not fight hard for USM. Houston and SMU should as well. Temple and Navy are the only ones that i can certainly see throwing a hissy fit. UCF, USF, Tulsa, even Cincy may very well be onboard. I don't know how many votes it takes. Hopefully no more than 6-7. I think we have a shot if so.

The American Conference will likely stay at 11 football schools. They had already added Wichita State a couple of seasons ago as a basketball-only member in an attempt to increase their power ranking in that sport. I would not be surprised if the American Conference does not add anyone until the Big 12 decides to go back to 12 teams which may never happen.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/st...nnati-ucf-navy-tulane-smu-usf-ecu/1578171001/

Really believe USM should be the team to replace UConn in the AAC. The football tradition is unmatched compared to the other supposed candidates. Also the AAC HQ is moving to Dallas, signaling the the league's focus is moving to the South!!! Southern Miss is geographically positioned best.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT