ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on win over Southeastern Louisiana

Heath Hinton

Jun 15, 2017
I said in an earlier post that I wasn't concerned that Southern Miss might lose. I was curious in the way USM would win the game. Would it be a closer contest than should have been and the Eagles pulled away late. Would it be an ugly game that showed no growth but was won because of more athletes and scholarship numbers. Or would it be a dominant win that any FBS should have over a normal FCS opponent.

This team has talent on it. By any metrics available, this is Hall's best team he has had since becoming the HC. I had hoped to see this team start to show signs of growth. We didn't see that.

The OL was pushed around by an FCS front. That shouldn't happen. No push in the running game and Tate was throwing off his back foot all game. It's going to be a long season if this is the blocking we see.

Defense played pretty good. Thank goodness the Lions couldn't catch a cold. They had guys running open and they just dropped a number of passes. Great play by Lawrence on the pick-6. He baited the QB to throw that.

If there is no growth this week, USF will come in here and put a loss on this group. Then a trip to Jacksonville State looks even more unwinnable. This team starts 1-3 and a bowl could be out of reach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.