ADVERTISEMENT

Some probable starters...

NueDaeEagle

Key Reserve
Jul 9, 2012
On defense, according to Munz, the starters at this point are Bradley and Poole at DE, Smith and Freeman at DT, Wright,Parker and Anderson at LB, Reed and Armstrong at CB, and Foster and Antoine at safety. He said that Freeman and Wright were vastly improved. He also said of the transfers that Swain and Ruff at LB, and Parks at DE very well end up starting too.

On a side note, Monken had some high praise for LB Ruff.

Man, other than cornerback, this defense will really have some kind of depth. SMTTT

When it comes to the defensive front seven, everybody Munz put on his list of starters were from last year's team. While there has been improvement of individual performance, such as Wil Freeman, last year's defense wasn't very good. Given the talent level of the transfers that have come in, I would be very surprised if by the opening game several of those starting positions don't include the transfers. It's hard for me to imagine the starting D running onto the field for the 1st time September 5th- and Anthony Swain, Andrew Bolton, Quincy Russell, Ricky Parks, Sherrod Ruff, and Naim Mustafaa are all standing on the sidelines. The good thing is that with all the quality depth- those who are 2nd team will still see a lot of playing time as Monken has said he wants to rotate them in and out to keep them fresh. I have to admit that after the departure on Nunez-Roches and McCullum off of last year's defense, I was uneasy about how the defense would be this year. The addition of so many talented transfers, along with the continued improvement of guys like Anderson, Freeman, Yancey and Poole has me believing that we could arguably have the best defense in C-USA.

I don't know ever remember so many quality transfers like we have now...seems like in the past the JUCO routes more often than not would not pan out....

When it comes to the defensive front seven, everybody Munz put on his list of starters were from last year's team. While there has been improvement of individual performance, such as Wil Freeman, last year's defense wasn't very good. Given the talent level of the transfers that have come in, I would be very surprised if by the opening game several of those starting positions don't include the transfers. It's hard for me to imagine the starting D running onto the field for the 1st time September 5th- and Anthony Swain, Andrew Bolton, Quincy Russell, Ricky Parks, Sherrod Ruff, and Naim Mustafaa are all standing on the sidelines. The good thing is that with all the quality depth- those who are 2nd team will still see a lot of playing time as Monken has said he wants to rotate them in and out to keep them fresh. I have to admit that after the departure on Nunez-Roches and McCullum off of last year's defense, I was uneasy about how the defense would be this year. The addition of so many talented transfers, along with the continued improvement of guys like Anderson, Freeman, Yancey and Poole has me believing that we could arguably have the best defense in C-USA.
I agree. Looks like Swain has already jumped to first team. I expect a couple more to do the same. I also agree that for many, 2nd team won't matter too much because they will still see a lot of playing time with the amount of depth we have. SMTTT

I don't know ever remember so many quality transfers like we have now...seems like in the past the JUCO routes more often than not would not pan out....

I agree. I'm quite certain there has never been a group of FBS transfers and JC signees that are so loaded with talent in the history of this football program. Larry Fedora had five JC signees that were big contributors to the 2011 season- Lamar Holmes, Jason Weaver, Kelvin Bolden, Marquese Wheaton, and Ryan Balentine. But only Holmes and Weaver received other quality offers coming out of JC. When you look at the backgrounds of the current group that has joined the team, the potential talent being added to this team is mind-blowing.

I'm probably forgetting somebody, but the last FBS transfer from a major program that I recall was Greg Brooks from Michigan. He spent one season there, and then transferred to USM and had a great career here as a defensive back.

It remains to be seen how this group of transfers and JC signees do at Southern Miss, but Coach Monken seems to be very positive about their performance and attitude. That's definitely a good sign. If this group of players plays to the level of talent they are capable of, and joins with the best talent that has been at Southern Miss - I think the potential for a great season is in the making. And when I say great I don't mean 6-6....I mean a whole lot better than that.

I agree. I'm quite certain there has never been a group of FBS transfers and JC signees that are so loaded with talent in the history of this football program. Larry Fedora had five JC signees that were big contributors to the 2011 season- Lamar Holmes, Jason Weaver, Kelvin Bolden, Marquese Wheaton, and Ryan Balentine. But only Holmes and Weaver received other quality offers coming out of JC. When you look at the backgrounds of the current group that has joined the team, the potential talent being added to this team is mind-blowing.

I'm probably forgetting somebody, but the last FBS transfer from a major program that I recall was Greg Brooks from Michigan. He spent one season there, and then transferred to USM and had a great career here as a defensive back.

It remains to be seen how this group of transfers and JC signees do at Southern Miss, but Coach Monken seems to be very positive about their performance and attitude. That's definitely a good sign. If this group of players plays to the level of talent they are capable of, and joins with the best talent that has been at Southern Miss - I think the potential for a great season is in the making. And when I say great I don't mean 6-6....I mean a whole lot better than that.

I hope that means a win in the 1st game.

I really remember Wheaton the most out of the JC transfers. I think he was from AZ and from the way he played could have started for the Wildcats or Sundevils. That 2011 defense was comparable to 1990s defense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT