ADVERTISEMENT

Season prediction for Southern Miss football

EasyEagle

All American
Nov 1, 2002
Ok...so I admit I have become somewhat distant from my once beloved Eagle football program, but I'm trying to get enthusiastic again.Clearly we will be breaking in a new QB and that's always tough, so my expectations aren't high.
When I look at this years schedule, I see about 7 wins if the QB play is decent. If not, then we're looking at another 3 win season.

Here's what I see:

Kentucky - LOSS
Southern U - WIN
UL Monroe - WIN
N. Texas - WIN
UTSA - LOSS
UTEP - WIN
La Tech - LOSS
UAB - WIN
Tennessee - LOSS
Rice - WIN
Charlotte - LOSS
Marshall - WIN

What do all of you experts say?

Last edited:
I would add one more win. Recruiting a little more talent under center in the future would help. USM needs to dominate this conference but it must have talent to do so. Getting out isn't going to happen so just keep winning and working toward bigger bowl games. If Western Michigan can do it, so can the Eagles.

Reactions: EasyEagle
I consulted my expert and was advised we would eek out against Kentucky then promptly drop to SU (she says we have been slumming around with the SWAC long enough for it to finally cost us)......from there on a quagmire of surprise and dismay. Don't miss it.

O Line issues kill us, almost half the 2 deep are coming out of high school and will have had a total of 29 practices with the team for the UK game.

Kentucky - LOSS
Southern U - WIN
UL Monroe - WIN
N. Texas - WIN
UTSA - LOSS
UTEP - LOSS
La Tech - LOSS
UAB - WIN
Tennessee - LOSS
Rice - WIN
Charlotte - LOSS
Marshall - LOSS

8-4 best scenario at end of regular season but probably 7-5 with Bowl invite and win in our bowl to finish 8-5.

So here it is... a 2 and 1 with State ....not bad and will be nice to get SEC at the Rock in 2024...USM at State in 2019 and 2020?

By then we'll be worth a $#!&, and have them resume the position.

Rather have Memphis H&H.

Best case this year is 8 wins IMO.
Likey win total is 7 IMO.
worst case is a 6 win season.

This doesn't count bowl game.

New QB & young OL but a bright future. Staff has recruited well and we will be a solid team for many years afterm this year.

Seize the Season, 9-6-99, Rock Solid, Gold Rush, Eagle Fever 2001...you never know what slogan will be there next...can you imagine the meltdown if USM somehow lost to Tulane on 9-6-99? Thankfully it didn't turn out that way.

BTW what was the slogan of the great 0fer season...Fill it to the Top? Filled it up then immediately pulled the draincord!

Our schedule is one of the weakest in sport. Cusa is terrible. If get competent / average QB play, we should be able to sleep through 7 wins. Above average QB play and should be 9+ wins. Oline is biggest concern as long as Griggs stays healthy and doesnt turn the ball over too much.

BTW what was the slogan of the great 0fer season...Fill it to the Top? Filled it up then immediately pulled the draincord![/QUOTE]
Fill It to the Top! was indeed the flavor-of-the-month. Here is the original artwork for the Fill It To The Top! sales drive:
3f4a0b79dc12b32fc8959f7d975e2a02.jpg

Reactions: EasyEagle
"If that cat had nine lives, it just spent 'em all!" That pic reminds me of when I was growing up, one of the airators(sp?) broke to the sewage lagoon. The property owner went out in the lagoon in a aluminum boat to investigate, and when he returned I was curious to hear his "report". He told my mother the property manager that there "were way too many solids." Even as an elementary aged kid, I knew exactly what he meant and snickered. He immediately followed by saying that the EPA could fine him $25,000/day if he didn't fix it immediately. I too understood what that meant and didn't think that was so funny anymore. The federal goverment doesn't have a sense of humor.

Last edited:
I'll call Tennessee, Kentucky, And Louisiana Tech to let them know they are part of the "weakest schedule in sport"...lol...Now I know why I left this board several years ago

Reactions: PBeagle95
I'll call Tennessee, Kentucky, And Louisiana Tech to let them know they are part of the "weakest schedule in sport"...lol...Now I know why I left this board several years ago

Go ahead and call bama and ohio state too. Bc you could replace kent and tn with those schools and it would still be one of the weakest schedules in the country. If kent and tn were guaranteed losses (like bama and ohio st would be), then whats the diff? Its the other 10 games, genius, that make the schedule so weak. Its sad i had to spell that out for you. Now i know why i dont post here much anymore.

Btw, i dont think kentucky is a guaranteed loss and la tech isnt a team that has me shaking in my boots, like you. Lol

Bama, Kentucky, football scheduling....La Tech, blah, blah. Now i know why i dont post here much anymore.

Tennessee, toughest schedule, blah, blah.... Now I know why I left this board several years ago

Just to be clear, you guys don't have any problem with stories about aerating the sewage lines or photos or Randy Quaid in a short robe.....but when someone criticizes our strength of schedule, well that's just going to far. I'm quitting the board again! :D

Just to be clear, you guys don't have any problem with stories about aerating the sewage lines or photos or Randy Quaid in a short robe.....but when someone criticizes our strength of schedule, well that's just going to far. I'm quitting the board again! :D

I was just mocking O.G.
Come on now, Eaglebird. But yeah, i agree with you....i criticize the SOS / Cusa and people lose their minds.

Last edited:
Nah, just a simple statement. I did you a favor and contacted Tennessee and Kentucky to tell them what you said. They appreciated the bulletin board material...You are welcome.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT