ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

garynada

Starter
Jan 18, 2009
White GA
The final 5 slots will make are break this class. Current comments are okay but we need some icing on the cake. Really need two big JC linebackers or 5 year guys. Not much time left for those guys.

I listened to Hopson's comments for the bowl and he spoke of the urgency with recruiting. I heard we picked up a really good WR. We do need to beef up our defense.

Recruiting is certainly heating up. We are in on some some really good ones right now. Of course we need to close the deal. I have heard that our coaches are really high on some of the LB's coming up and that position may not be a priority right now over other positions. We do have a really top notch recruit already committed there who should compete for a starting spot right away. Understand the coaches are really pleased with the freshmen from last years class. Just me, but I think they may turn out to be one of the best groups of freshmen that we have had in a long time. Partially due to coaches like Johnson running players off, and due to so many JC players being signed in the past. SMTTT

Let the Qb from EMCC get away. Good enough for FSU to sign before some off field issue. Now FAU scoops him up. Kid would have started day 1. D tackle is a critical need, 3 of them at EMCC, no interest from this staff.

Your go to, stud wr is playing 3 miles down 4th street from campus. He has had little to no interest from USM, but is good enough for Tennessee.

But hey, lets go sign some PCS and OG guys.

Murphy kid from Hattiesburg (Dandy Dozen)was never going to Southern Miss., he has been set on Tennessee since this summer. The 3 star WR from Biloxi is very athletic and wants to be at Southern Miss! Reddix the very talented WR from Biloxi St. Martin may be even better than Murphy from Hattiesburg but is a drama queen and flips commits! He was committed to Southern Miss originally! You talk to the Laurel head coach and the Coast high school coaches and they will tell you Hopson and his staff have recruited South Mississippi better than USM has in several years!

You talk to the Laurel head coach and the Coast high school coaches and they will tell you Hopson and his staff have recruited South Mississippi better than USM has in several years!
Recruiting includes signing. No need to talk to high school coaches. We'll see the results over the next three seasons. If you recruit well, you win C-USA.

Seems late not to have a full list. We always lose some to non qualification or other schools. Also don't remember the high number of late offers. I worry about Pecker Head"s ability to recruit. He does not seem to have the gift of gab. Poor Hop only has about 5 or 6 phrases and he just rearranges them as need. Know what I saying. The reality is....

Murphy kid from Hattiesburg (Dandy Dozen)was never going to Southern Miss., he has been set on Tennessee since this summer. The 3 star WR from Biloxi is very athletic and wants to be at Southern Miss! Reddix the very talented WR from Biloxi St. Martin may be even better than Murphy from Hattiesburg but is a drama queen and flips commits! He was committed to Southern Miss originally! You talk to the Laurel head coach and the Coast high school coaches and they will tell
you Hopson and his staff have recruited South Mississippi better than USM has in several years!

I've known Murphy since his was 12. You would be surprised about the "never going to USM" Damn sure won't know now. They let my good friend Robert Gillespie waltz in a take him without a fight. Same will happen with Franklin from H'burg next year with a out of state school. I'm tired of local kids getting away without a fight. Actually, I am hearing several of the guys from H'burg will end up at MGCCC due to grades so....

Nobody seems to want to address the elephant in the room. The lack of d tackles that can hold up, and a middle linebacker that can play on the D-1 level.

I hope they close strong. After watching the season unfold and everything that went into it, I have my doubts.

Reactions: garynada
Laurel had the same issue for years with Southern Miss until Hopson flipped Keon Howard to Southern Miss a few days before signing day. Grades are the reason the the Laurel QB and WR that played in the Alabama/MS all star game aren't being signed by Southern Miss or any other division 1 school. The Meridian OLB is a player and a gem in this class. That Meridian kid made play after play vs Wayne County last year in the film I've seen. The Morton linebacker has SEC offers from Alabama, Auburn, MS State, and Ole Miss.

Debbie downer!!! I do get what you're saying.
There was nothing negative about my post. I'm just saying that there are several ways to "assess" recruiting. I suppose one way would be to talk to area high school coaches. Another way is the star ranking system. But perhaps the best way is to simply watch our defensive players on the field. Are they fast enough to make plays? I think playing in C-USA makes recruiting really difficult, but playing in C-USA makes it really easy to see gauge the caliber (at least physically) of our signees.

Pretty simple. Go down the commitment list and see who we competed against/who else offered.

May be wrong but I think HS comments this late are Plan B or Plan C guys. Can't see late offers being under the radar guys. But # 4 was a plan C guy

Last edited:
Bottom line: We needed to sign Windham and Gillins, got neither. These are the difference makers we are missing out on right now. I'm talking about immediate help, not 3 years down the road. JH better figure it out because his influx of high school players won't contribute for some time.

Keon would have pretty boy from PRCC sitting on the bench! Have fun with the Pony Express!

Bottom line: We needed to sign Windham and Gillins, got neither. These are the difference makers we are missing out on right now. I'm talking about immediate help, not 3 years down the road. JH better figure it out because his influx of high school players won't contribute for some time.

It took Monken a couple years to figure out that signing mostly high school players was slowing the rebuild. Hoping Hopson figures that out too and he brings in more impact JUCOs and transfers.

We have offered a big athletic offensive lineman from Iowa state for a 5th year transfer. That was one of the methods Monken perfected too.

I think a lot of times they work on 5 year guys after signing day so they can count them forward against the next year's class. Saw that OL also had an offer from Ark St. I think that his name popping up now shows demand for his skills.

Reactions: JonesCountyEagle
Pretty simple. Go down the commitment list and see who we competed against/who else offered.
Not sure if it is just follow the leader or thier SR year performance but thier offer list have improved since we offered. At the time of our offer a good number had no offers, or if they had an offer it was from an FCS school. I think we were up to 4 3 star players so if Hop can finish strong it should be an okay class. If I remember correctly TM had the rug pulled out from under him on his First class with several guys not signing at the last minute. Those kids that want to make a show of their choice between "big money schools" on signing day cause ripples that can really hurt our signing class.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT