ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

garynada

Starter
Jan 18, 2009
White GA
okay shoot me but I am concerned. I am not buying that this is the only staff in the SE that can find great kids that no one else see. We are offering kids that are way too small to play D1. I get that there are the Sam Mills that don't fit the mold but that is like 1 in a thousand and you cannot build a whole class on finding hidden talent. Sorry but the current class looks like a Sunbelt of FCS class. We have short 200 pound linebackers and and short for football 220 D lineman. In the end the system works 95% of the time and if not 95% the 90% and Stars and offers matter. I do not like the attitude that "we are smarter the everyone else" To me you should have to be fighting to win 90% of you kids from your peers or better. That is not what we have now.

Last edited:
okay shoot me but I am concerned. I am not buying that this is the only staff in the SE that can find great kids that no one else see. We are offering kids that are way too small to play D1. I get that there are the Sam Mills that don't fit the mold but that is like 1 in a thousand and you cannot build a whole class on finding. Sorry but the current class looks like a Sunbelt of FCS class. We have short 200 pound linebackers and and short for football 220 D lineman. In the end the system works 95% of the time and if not 95% the 90% and Stars and offers matter. I do not like the attitude that "we are smarter the everyone else" To me you should have to be fighting to win 90% of you kids from your peers or better. That is not what we have now.

Dead on, not that many sleepers. Something ain't right.

Last edited:
Agreed. Very concerning. Hes suppose to be strong on recruiting. Esp in state. This class isnt looking any better than last few years. Perhaps worse. Should be significant improvement over the last few years considering the success of last year.

Y'all are both wrong. This is the most aggressive recruiting effort in recent years Especially in the state of Florida. Then again y'all are the type that think Southern Miss should be in the top ten in recruiting! Every high school head football coach I've talked to in this state have had nothing but very positive things to say about Jay Hopson.

Y'all are both wrong. This is the most aggressive recruiting effort in recent years Especially in the state of Florida. Then again y'all are the type that think Southern Miss should be in the top ten in recruiting! Every high school head football coach I've talked to in this state have had nothing but very positive things to say about Jay Hopson.

this is the dumbest response to my post that i can imagine. the majority of these recruits are 2-star guys with offers from sunbelt and SWAC level schools. what does that have to do with being aggressive in florida? any 3-4 star commits from Florida? or many with offers from P5 schools? no and no.

where did i say we should be top 10? youre the type that is happy with USM being the 85th or 95th ranked school in recruiting apparently. wow...thats great for USM huh? what a strong fan you are, with those high expectations and mindset that we cant do better than that!

what does that matter that "Every high school head football coach I've talked to in this state have had nothing but very positive things to say about Jay Hopson", if those high school coach's better recruits AREN'T SIGNING WITH JAY HOPSON?!

I like Jay and think he will be good. But im not happy with the class. because its not a good class. want me to lie about it or pretend that its good? sorry, i dont live in fantasy land. he started off on fire with his first 3-4 recruits....unfortunately we lost 3 of those 4 already and almost everything after those have been sunbelt and swac recruits.

What's your solution then! Hugh freeze style and pay recruits! I understand your concerns with recruiting and that's always going to be an issue at smaller school like Southern Miss that is stuck in sorry ass CUSA. As far as high school coaches, yes that's an issue that's hurt us on recruits in this state. At the end of the day all we can do is wait and see how this class turns out. I think with success this year we will see more three star type commits and more in state recruits. As far as what kind of USM fan I am, I've been with Southern Miss since the Eagle Fever days, dominating CUSA days, even the 0-12 year during 4-32 losing years and our recent uprising!

Last edited:
Sprint that's what we all want too!! Have you seen the Meridian linebacker that dominated South Panola this weekend. The Clinton RB runs a legit 4.4 and had 4 TD's this weekend. Our first commit from Morton is having to play everything there and had a strong defensive performance this past weekend. Just some examples of our commits. Hopson's first big recruiting commit and delivery was last spring when he was hired just before signing day and convinced dandy dozen three star QB Keon Howard of Laurel to sign with Southern Miss!!!

Last edited:
this is the dumbest response to my post that i can imagine. the majority of these recruits are 2-star guys with offers from sunbelt and SWAC level schools. what does that have to do with being aggressive in florida? any 3-4 star commits from Florida? or many with offers from P5 schools? no and no.

where did i say we should be top 10? youre the type that is happy with USM being the 85th or 95th ranked school in recruiting apparently. wow...thats great for USM huh? what a strong fan you are, with those high expectations and mindset that we cant do better than that!

what does that matter that "Every high school head football coach I've talked to in this state have had nothing but very positive things to say about Jay Hopson", if those high school coach's better recruits AREN'T SIGNING WITH JAY HOPSON?!

I like Jay and think he will be good. But im not happy with the class. because its not a good class. want me to lie about it or pretend that its good? sorry, i dont live in fantasy land. he started off on fire with his first 3-4 recruits....unfortunately we lost 3 of those 4 already and almost everything after those have been sunbelt and swac recruits.

This whole board is "fantasy land".

Another offer to a kid with offers from GA State and Troy. At this rate we are going to have the best FCS class in Division I. I guess that is what when you hire a FCS staff. They don't have a point of reference. Sorry to those that would defend him but I don't believe Hop is smarter than his FBS peers. In spite of revisionous history JB got in trouble partly because of recruiting and Hop this year seems to be following the same path. To be fair I think recruiting starts by building relationships when these kids are JRs and since most of our staff came from the SWAC we are getting thier top targets. These kids would make a top FCS class but are lower tier FBS. Right now it is a Sunbelt - class. I go back to the assistant head coach that does not know if the current plays are good because he has not seen them play against CUSA teams. He need some time one the league before he had a pint of reference. BTW Hop was not fired from USM because he was a great recruiter. I am sure when he was fired from Memphis that was also true. So the question is, "is a good SWAC coach football coach a good FBS coach(s). I am not sure that is true. Before you defend him go back and look at who he beat and who he lost to. One team played 5 games and lost them all. Now I have no doubt Hop is every bit the coach JB was so in the long run he can win 6-7 games a year. I am sure that Hop is not = to LF and Hop is not = to TM. So what do we want to be? 3rd or 4th in CUSA on 12 wins ranked and a conference championship. I think the current recruiting class does not add up to a 12 win team. If you could add weight and coach these type kids up you would have a lot of really really good Sunbelt treams

You realize the defensive coordinator and defensive line coach both have roots at Florida State. The defensive coordinator was a graduate coach under defensive guru Mickey Andrews and the defensive line coach played at Florida State. Dish the secondary coach had a previous stint as co defensive coordinator at Southern Miss under Fedora and was on staff with Fedora at UNC and was also at Illinois when they went to the Rose Bowl!

I am not high on our DC he is a DII SWAC guy and that it. This week he is match up with a guy that will be a P5 head coach. I think this week he get taken to the wood shed. No other FBS team would have hired him as DC. Fairly sure if you ranked CUSA DC he would be in the bottom 2. He has never really coached FBS. Yes he was a GA and QA guy at FSU but that is like those 2.5 pound weights. My old coach would put them on the bar and say "these don't even count". Again almost 100 FBS teams will have a better class than USM. Is that okay? Evan if some of these kids are better that that would mean maybe 80 FBS teams have a better class. If they are really good at recruiting go out and win some battles against some AAC teams at least. Sorry not impressed with our recruiting. It is FCS +

I am a left brain guy with the right brain running like a background app. Served me well during Army days (25 years). Bottom line you can't hurt me with a post. I am a big USM fan just as I assume you are. So a tip of the hat. Just concerned about recruiting. You don't get extra time with a kids because he was unrated and all teams work hard so you are not going to out work them. Since you wanted to defend the staff but just used the right brain in your response I will provide some left brain counter points to my post.
1 The law of deminishing returns. Kids form big high schools or dad coached/played are higher on the learn curve and hard work will only move the needle a little.
2 Just because a kid has an offer does not mean it is a commitable offer. Some of these offers may be plan B.
3 Number 4 only had one D1 offer
4 You can't coach speed and hight but you can do something about most of the other measurable.
5 Two Saints examples, the current QB and Sam Mills. For them size did not matter.
I am sure there are others. I met Coach Hop and my right brain liked him. But left brain looks at our commits and I am concerned. As far as coaches I don't get Tony's hire as DC because to me at DC I would like to see some accountable FBS success or just smocked it at FCS. I don't think he did that in his last job. He FSU work was GA and QA. As I understand the QA guy puts the film together and may run the scout team. I think those are both developmental postion which are good but he is going up against a very good OC. I think Hop would be a better head to head but as I understand it he will not be calling plays. As far as Dan, I think he did well at USM and not so much at UNC. But he worked for s coach that can score 50 and still get an L. I really like the Dline coach, harder to make HC from that side of the ball but I think he might pull it off. As far as tomorrow's game I worry that size will matter. If they can get 3.3 yard per carry they can have 6 7 8 min drives they will keep Nick and crew off the field or almost as bad we may score in 2 min and they answer with long drives. GA lost to Al (sorry SEC reference) a few years back because they scored too quickly. By the end of the game their had nothing left in the tank. BTW I will be wearing Black and Gold tomorrow in the stands. The SEC will have to wait,for me ai least.

Lighten up Francis!!! I understand your concerns on recruiting but we are getting some good players too. Southern Miss traditionally gets a kid with a chip on his shoulder blue collar type! If we win 10-11 games this year I think you will see more three star types and win some battles against the P5 schools. Good thing it's far from over until the next recruiting class so there are certain to be some changes and flips. A great opening win against Kentuxky will do great things in recruiting too.

I am a left brain guy with the right brain running like a background app. Served me well during Army days (25 years). Bottom line you can't hurt me with a post. I am a big USM fan just as I assume you are. So a tip of the hat. Just concerned about recruiting. You don't get extra time with a kids because he was unrated and all teams work hard so you are not going to out work them. Since you wanted to defend the staff but just used the right brain in your response I will provide some left brain counter points to my post.
1 The law of deminishing returns. Kids form big high schools or dad coached/played are higher on the learn curve and hard work will only move the needle a little.
2 Just because a kid has an offer does not mean it is a commitable offer. Some of these offers may be plan B.
4 You can't coach speed and hight but you can do something about most of the other measurable.
5 Two Saints examples, the current QB and Sam Mills. For them size did not matter.
I am sure there are others. I met Coach Hop and my right brain liked him. But left brain looks at our commits and I am concerned. As far as coaches I don't get Tony's hire as DC because to me at DC I would like to see some accountable FBS success or just smocked it at FCS. I don't think he did that in his last job. He FSU work was GA and QA. As I understand the QA guy puts the film together and may run the scout team. I think those are both developmental postion which are good but he is going up against a very good OC. I think Hop would be a better head to head but as I understand it he will not be calling plays. As far as Dan, I think he did well at USM and not so much at UNC. But he worked for s coach that can score 50 and still get an L. I really like the Dline coach, harder to make HC from that side of the ball but I think he might pull it off. As far as tomorrow's game I worry that size will matter. If they can get 3.3 yard per carry they can have 6 7 8 min drives they will keep Nick and crew off the field or almost as bad we may score in 2 min and they answer with long drives. GA lost to Al (sorry SEC reference) a few years back because they scored too quickly. By the end of the game their had nothing left in the tank. BTW I will be wearing Black and Gold tomorrow in the stands. The SEC will have to wait,for me ai least.

I think a 300 lb one star DT will have more value than a two star 270 lb DT. We have to have the bodies on the DL be able to stop the runs up the middle. Guess we will see which way the win is blowing tomorrow..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT