ADVERTISEMENT

Perhaps this season's will be remebered for...

shortbob

Key Reserve
May 29, 2001
when we all gave up and chunked all hopes for a winning season and bowl win the found some "backbone" and won. Perhaps this will carry over to the future and be a foundation to build on. Fans seem to at least be satisfied with recruiting. I guess the eternal USM argument continues. Is the glass half full or half empty? Call me an optimist but I say it is half full.

I too am an optimist. Half full if not more. We mainly had no backup QB. We lost one game this year when we had Mullens healthy and playing for the whole game. Probably would have lost LSU with him healthy anyway, but the others I say would have been a different story. Next year will be tough without him. SMTTT

Sorry but it was more than QB injuries. 13, 14, 15 penities a game (almost had as many penities yard a ULL had offense), at the bottom on D1 in turnover ratio, could not handle the power run game, gave up too many big plays. The return and coverage teams to me seem to be a problem area. There were some good things, run game, O normally was 4 500 yards per game. The D pressured the QB (did not create TO) and when not hurt field goals were a give me.

To me those bad areas made it painful to watch even when we won. Winning the last two games was great but (last game was painful to watch because of penities turnovers and it was the 5th place sunbelt team that was totally one demenial) we were not hitting on all cylinders. 2nd Qtr was ugly. What would that game have been like if ULL had a QB that could actually hit a receiver. The D did do a good jumb getting after him, will give them that.

Normally you expect, unless you are hammered by injuries, because of the learning curve, your team gets better as the season goes on (like UK). This should be more true with a new staff. That did not happen for us. That is troubling.

Again winning that last game was great but again it was against the 5th place sunbelt team that finished with more Ls than Ws. And we won by 7 points. Is that where we want to be?

The team looked woefully ill prepared at times and teams that should not have kicked our ass. We must hope that this season was a learning experience and we will see benefits in 2017. The Charlotte game is the real "WTF" game.

I am hoping a lot of the problems you mentioned above can be worked out with the new coaching staff gelling after a season together. I am very worried about the QB situation for next year. I hope we can get a graduate transfer.

Last edited:
QB could be an issue but When Keon was pressed into service he got one week of practice with the frist team. I think he showed some positive flashes of what he can do. His mistakes can be corrected. If there is a good competition this spring and fall for the starting job, I think we will be okay.

Had a great time at the N O Bowl. The fans in the stands were great. Penalties and refs slowed it down, but otherwise it was a great time in the Dome. Strong start and finish to the season. Hope it carries over to next year. SMTTT

The team looked woefully ill prepared at times and teams that should not have kicked our ass. We must hope that this season was a learning experience and we will see benefits in 2017. The Charlotte game is the real "WTF" game.
I saw several games this year and attended this game for several reasons. Someone above mentioned it but penalties are excessive as well as turnovers, missed assignments and a lack of game discipline. Lots of missed assignments by some very athletic players. It seems on the defensive side that players don't trust each other to do their job which leads to players leaving their responsibility. That wasnt the most intelligent defense i have ever seen.

As mentioned in the above posts, once the coaching staff works through some kinks and has a chance to gel i think it will translate down to the players. Lots of athletic guys out there but a lack of discipline. And the team cant have the penalties and turnover ratio we had. Not only did we turn it over a lot but we didnt get any takeaways as well. We were fortunate to have a winning season with the mistakes we made.

Last edited:
I saw several games this year and attended this game for several reasons. Someone above mentioned it but penalties are excessive as well as turnovers, missed assignments and a lack of game discipline. Lots of missed assignments by some very athletic players. It seems on the defensive side that players don't trust each other to do their job which leads to players leaving their responsibility. That wasnt the most intelligent defense i have ever seen.

As mentioned in the above posts, once the coaching staff works through some kinks and has a chance to gel i think it will translate down to the players. Lots of athletic guys out there but a lack of discipline. And the team cant have the penalties and turnover ratio we had. Not only did we turn it over a lot but we didnt get any takeaways as well. We were fortunate to have a winning season with the mistakes we made.

The next hurdle is recruiting and from from what I have read that is going well. "one putt" is correct that we were fortunate to have a winning season and hopefully that momentum will carry over to 2017. The excitement of a home opener with Kentucky will be a lot to build on. Perhaps a new record for home attendance?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT