ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska media's thoughts on the upcoming game...

It's hard to say that any of them are really far off. I disagree with some and agree with others.

I think we probably lose, but with a closer score than these writers are predicting.

And who knows, we might win. We are getting better but we do need the defense to step up.

Greetings, Eagle fans. Just want to express how much I respect your fans and program. I came within an eyelash of attending school at USM, so I have some affinity for the school. As a 18 year-old, I couldn't get myself to leave Nebraska. But I know USM has some wonderful programs. It almost got me there. And the 2003 game in Hattiesburg (or was it 2002?....hell, I can't remember, I'm getting old) was the most hospitable road game I have attended. I always root for USM. As a Husker fan, I can't this week. But I know how well you played against Miss. State, and the points USM put up last week. And Nebraska is starting over with a new coach. The 24 point spread I think is way to high, I think it'll be a ball game, personally. I've watched your team play. You can move the ball. But good luck this week and safe travels to anyone who might/will attend.

Reactions: SethManKA1
Agreed. I've always heard that Nebraska fans are about the classiest we've ever seen. Hope for a good and injury-free game.

BetterRed appreciate you visiting our board you are always welcome! Here's to a good game Saturday. Yes I attended USM during the 2092-2003 series. I graduated in 2004 it was a great series and great fans.

Hey, I'm over here by invitation of Houston Eagle and OG Eagle. I can never figure out why you guys like coming to Lincoln. While I'm sure our fans invite you to their tailgates, we don't serve fried alligator, hush puppies, okra, sweet ice tea, and Skuldugger Imperial Stout.

A game like this normally makes me a little nervous. The fact we are 1-2, have had some defensive struggles and are somewhat beat up makes me a lot nervous. I hope it doesn't turn out like the 2004 game. I live in SoCal and it was ABC regional so I listened on the radio. We had our games broadcast out here back then. I was doing yard work and checking in on the game. You kicked a couple FGs, then we kicked one, then you kicked one, then we scored 2 TDs to go up 17-9, then you had the pick 6 to get to 15-17 and I'm like "come on, put these guys away". The game had my full attention by then. Almond threw the TD and we began our first losing season in forever. I would prefer that didn't happen this time. Good Luck.

Last edited:
Hey, I'm over here by invitation of Houston Eagle and OG Eagle. I can never figure out why you guys like coming to Lincoln. While I'm sure our fans invite you to their tailgates, we don't serve fried alligator, hush puppies, okra, sweet ice tea, and Skuldugger Imperial Stout.

A game like this normally makes me a little nervous. The fact we are 1-2, have had some defensive struggles and are somewhat beat up makes me a lot nervous. I hope it doesn't turn out like the 2004 game. I live in SoCal and it was ABC regional so I listened on the radio. We had our games broadcast out here back then. I was doing yard work and checking in on the game. You kicked a couple FGs, then we kicked one, then you kicked one, then we scored 2 TDs to go up 17-9, then you had the pick 6 to get to 15-17 and I'm like "come on, put these guys away". The game had my full attention by then. Almond threw the TD and we began our first losing season in forever. I would prefer that didn't happen this time. Good Luck.

Glad to hear from you, Husker. I can't believe you actually remember so much of that '04 game. It was quite the game for us USM fans, too, to say the least. I remember listening to the entire game out on my grandfather's back porch with he and my dad. 3 generations sharing a win like that together; doesn't get much better than that.

I think the best explanation I can come up with as to why we like playing you guys is b/c of the positive relationship (both) our AD's and your AD have had over the last several years. Not to mention, Nebraska is as good a "measuring stick" for our ability level as any top 5 conference team out there.

I'm hoping for another upset like '04, but reality tells me that our defense just won't be able to stack up with your big O'line boys through the late 2nd half of the game. Best of luck the rest of your season and Hattiesburg welcomes you anytime.

Nice change from this thread from the week that we played Mississippi State. I always enjoy engaging in intelligent conversations about football with Nebraska fans. Husker.wed., this game was supposed to be in Hattiesburg but we had to sell it back to you guys to pay off our idiot of a coach that we had before Monken. I think that is this year, or maybe it was last, my memory is pretty bad. I do think it will be closer than the "experts" say it will be. We have turned a corner and these kids believe in the system. Monken has these kids believing in themselves that they cn win every game nd yes that can be scary for Nebraska.

Here's to a safe clean game as expected wit the Cornhuskers.

I was at the 2004 game, and the fans were really the best there. If it weren't for Naton "High Hat"(sorry couldn't resist) Stewart with that pick six, NU would have won.

Am I going to far to say that the new NU coach is like Callahan of the 2004 team? When NU hired the former Oregon State coach Mike Riley, it just brought back a lot of memories of a similar type hire at USM. I really hope things turn out better for NU...after our game of course:)

Good to see you here Husker... Hopefully it will be a great game and the best team will win...us, of course...:)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT