ADVERTISEMENT

Looking forward...where will we need to improve to win our

scotteagle

All Conference
Gold Member
Oct 30, 2002
conference? One thing that really jumped out for me reading the final stats is how many tackles our safety's made. I think our top five tacklers were DB's. Our linebackers barely, collectively, made the list. Our linebackers are just way to slow. At least v. MSU, which fielded much better athletes than we did. This may not matter against CUSA opponents, but it'll matter against Nebraska. Ruff is quick, the others not so much speed at all.
Having said this, thank God our 3 new JUCO safeties can really play. I wonder if Ruff gets knocked out that we should move Antoine back to LB just to get speed on the field. I am glad we have AP this weekend to allow the coaches to tinker with ways to get the best kids in the best position to make plays. Plus, game experience that cannot be duplicated in practice helps players who might be a tad slow play smarter.

One thing that really jumped our for me is how much we are vastly improved over last year. Monken has us headed in the right direction and we will go bowling this year. He is doing a great job. The Eagles are back. SMTTT

Monken has got to improve his decision making during the games. Down by 14 heading to the fourth quarter deep in MSU territory we go for it on 4th and 2. We convert and then seven or so yards later, 4th and short and we kick a field goal. Unless his plan was to kick five field goals in the 4th, he needs to be consistent.

Reactions: GOLDEN EAGLE FAN
Looks like, reading various blogs, we are far more injured than we thought. Freeman out for the year, we saw that injury, but we went into the game beat up....T-man, both TE's, Draper Riley etc....we need some really young guys to step up....and kudos to Jayshawn and Parks for stepping up Saturday night. We'll need to see some Dlinemen to step up as well. The summer recruits, Bolton and Russell , are really looking big these days, especially with Parks moving to Tight End. It's going to be an interesting year. We are beat up severely going into Austin Peay, of course we should win big, but we can't endure too many more injuries. Oh my!

Play calling in the red zone. It has to improve immensely
agree O G. We went super conservative and went with the weakest part of our game into the strongest part of their game. That part is on our coaches. The rest of the game plan I think our coaches did really well, except for running up the middle too much. But we fans always say that don't we?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT