ADVERTISEMENT

Leadership Dynamics

eaglexcellence

BGN Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Oct 4, 2007
I know we're all tired of the Mullens/Matthews fights, and for the purposes of this discussion, I would ask that we put the "who is the better QB option" element aside. What I want to talk about is why I think it's so important that both we as a fanbase, and Monken and Co as a staff, stop being so protective (for lack of a better term) of Mullens and let some of the criticism just flow.

When someone is supposed to be the leader of a group, as is the case with a 3rd year starting QB, it's not healthy when others try to interject themselves and shield the criticism. It only breeds discontent and, at minimum, gives the perception that there is special treatment at hand. And frankly, for all of the talk about how these young football players look up to coaches as "father figures", there are just as many examples of instances where that parochial, shielding behavior only made things worse...the most famous of which is the Mike Gundy "I'm a man, I'm 40" rant at Ok State...a situation that I'm sure Monken, though he was at LSU with Les Miles by that time, is likely very aware of, considering that he has been the passing game coordinator when OSU was going through the initial stages of all of that drama.

So I'm getting a little long-winded above, but my point is this. Nick Mullens can take the criticism, let's not try and baby him here, I don't think he needs it, and I think it's bad for the dynamics within the team. Maybe some are not doing that, and simply believe QB play has been fine. To each his own, we simply don't agree on the football matters. But no coddling. We didn't do it for Alford for long, we didn't do it for Campbell or Bridgeford, we never did it for Davis, and certainly didn't do it going back beyond that to J Young, Almond, etc.

A lot has been invested in a return to competitive football. It's time to put up or shut up.

Reactions: J.C.TTT7587
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News